DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

Just now, D.Z said:

Can’t see AJPW wanting to team up with AEW. There’s still Wrestle 1 and BJW they could partner with instead.

Doesn't seem like Omega is part of this. Unless he joins later.

Omega won't commit to anything right now because it would undercut his bargaining power. I don't think he's pushing for the absolute most lucrative deal but coming out in support of AEW right now is risky because we don't know what that company's relationship with NJPW is moving forward. But as been said by Beech and myself a number of times, NJPW isn't stupid and knows that if Kenny (and possibly Ibushi) leave because of the AEW stuff, they'll go to DDT or somebody else and sell tonnes of tickets there. Kenny's way more valuable to New Japan than ROH is when they could replace the ROH void with AEW. It just doesn't make sense to lose your key to overseas expansion because of loyalty to a third rate glorified indie, in which even Kevin Kelly sees as using NJPW as a quick draw for ticket sales ("the girl they hook up when they want to get laid" was the analogy he used).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

While I agree with you, Shahid Khan seems to be the best of the lot. Cody's been pushing the idea of wrestlers as employees and wrestlers' rights the past few months. You would think there'd be some continuity there.

Trying to pull 7 million in guaranteed money from one of your better players doesn't seem too employee friendly: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25651648/leonard-fournette-told-week-13-suspension-voids-guaranteed-money-contract

Bix is the worst. Only so much as he's the worst after Ryan Satin and a bunch of the other twatter shithounds.

2 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Trying to pull 7 million in guaranteed money from one of your better players doesn't seem too employee friendly: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25651648/leonard-fournette-told-week-13-suspension-voids-guaranteed-money-contract

That's fair but seems to be the norm in the cutthroat NFL mould. We'll see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

While I agree with you, Shahid Khan seems to be the best of the lot. Cody's been pushing the idea of wrestlers as employees and wrestlers' rights the past few months. You would think there'd be some continuity there.

It's easy to say those things, but I want to actually see it proven with action. Oscar de La Hoya talks a big game about fighter pay and paying fighters what they deserve, and then he runs a garbage Golden Boy MMA show where the UFC veterans are paid significantly less than they were in the UFC. And he carts out a 50-year-old Chuck Liddell to get destroyed by Tito Ortiz. 

I respect Cody Rhodes and Bucks for doing their own thing and on their terms. But I want to wait and see how this pans out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

The last thing people want to watch is WWE 'cast-offs' - people shat on TNA for this; it isn't any different if AEW do it. Where there's a guy who is clearly able to fulfill a bigger role, then people will dig it (e.g. Christian Cage) but otherwise not so much.

Harper would be a good steal if they can pull it off. Maybe Cesaro at a pinch. Because they're 39 and 38 and won't be getting singles pushes in WWE.

People aka hardcores fans shat on it.

if they’re going on TV, there’s going to be ratings expectations. So they’re gonna need names .

Point of order just to make sure the waters don't get muddied

The real money behind AEW is from Tony Khan (Shahid's son) so while clearly a part of the Jacksonville Jaguars ownership he is a different person

(So another real parallel to the McMahons)

I think the only way I have seen Shahid connected to AEW right now is his name is on some of the trademarks and I am sure those are for legal reasons I will never understand

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Point of order: NJPW sold out the Garden. It doesn't matter who they partnered with.

I think it's an unanswerable question if it was "NJPW" or "Kenny, Cody, and The Bucks" who sold out the Garden. Short of getting honest answers from the people who bought tickets, there's no way to know.

I don't think it would be a good move for Sasha (or any of the women) to sign with them in the early going.  The women in WWE are making a lot of their money off merchandise and there's no way AEW gives them enough exposure to recoup that. Yes, some of the women may be frustrated with their place and the card and the booking but I believe they'd be giving up way too much money to move on.  

I think it's more the male talent who are in limbo that AEW could snag.  The Cesaro and Harper types are a good call but even they are in a pretty good position in WWE all things considering.  

I think the 205 Live guys and NXT UK guys might be in play.  Dudes like Noam Dar who is young and talented,  if AEW throws the check book at him and then allows him to compete in Rev Pro or whatever also..  that could be an interesting option for a guy like him and he's young enough where he could always bounce back to WWE at some point too. 

1 minute ago, muhammedboehm said:

Are we 100% sure AEW will actually have a womens division?

It's an excellent way to build a roster and there's a bunch of people they can bring in. NXT only has so much room and ROH seems to be shit at making a womens division.

Said this before, but the workers hacking up cellophane from working at Flex-N-Gate will tell all you need to know about Shahid Khan caring about his employees. But his son seems to be running this and not him.

EDIT: I will say those are things I've heard on the street, but he did pay some big fines in OSHA violations. I could also be confusing them with Plastipac out here -- it's been a couple years

It would be a PR disaster not to, and it’s not as if women’s wrestling isn’t hot right now. It would also, to whatever extent they care about this sort of thing, do more good for “the business” at large, since women have had fewer viable options forever—especially stateside—and as such, have probably been paid below market by WWE. (Or they’ve been paid market, but the market has been artificially constricted.)

If you're Tye Dillinger I can see someone like that making the jump. But if you're Sasha Banks, Bayley, Rusev, Cesaro, Sheamus, etc. do the risks really outweigh the rewards of leaving WWE? Because if you leave WWE, you're giving up a lot of brand exposure, merchandise money and royalties. You'll probably be working a much lighter schedule. But will they even be able to pay you a competitive price?

And then what if the promotion falls flat on its face? 

• Like 2

I think we really have to wait and see this develop a bit before we even entertain the idea of anyone wanting to leave WWE for this, even those disgruntled in the company.

As I mentioned previously, given they begin to tie guys down to exclusive contracts, this will harm organizations like MLW and ROH unless they begin working together than it will WWE.

Also, if all else fails and Cody's ideas begin to fade, he can always train Tony a little while he turns into a stuntman and Shahid can start walking out to No chance in hell while trying to screw over Cody and the Bucks from the title and Tony to Here comes the money while jumping off high platforms getting himself more over than the performers themselves, amirite?

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think it would be a good move for Sasha (or any of the women) to sign with them in the early going.  The women in WWE are making a lot of their money off merchandise and there's no way AEW gives them enough exposure to recoup that. 

In case you haven’t been paying attention, the Elite have been making a shitload on merch for a long time now.  I don’t think it would be the same for *everybody*, but I think if you plugged someone like Sasha into their promotional machine, she would rake it in, hand over fist.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

In case you haven’t been paying attention, the Elite have been making a shitload on merch for a long time now.  I don’t think it would be the same for *everybody*, but I think if you plugged someone like Sasha into their promotional machine, she would rake it in, hand over fist.

I have been paying attention and I realize they make a lot off merch but we don't know how well they will do when it's time to promote people who aren't themselves.