DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is 100% true for me. Even the post Takeover clip show that also airs a couple dark matches are great. Sometimes you just need to let the big event that just ended breathe a little bit. 

But yeah, from promos, to matches, to backstage segments, NXT is about as good as it gets. Oh, and it's only an hour so it's ultra easy to digest. There's literally no waste on each NXT episode. 

NXT is pretty much Hardcore TV with better production and workers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I didn't have any access to WCW before the Monday night wars. Aside from some of the events featuring Wargames and some of the other well known matches, which WCW ppvs of the pre-Hogan era are worth watching?

Spring Stampede 94 is probably the gold standard in my estimation, wrestle war 90, beach blast 92, there's a shit ton

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

C'mon guys cool out a little 

I thought it was a good discussion till the butthurt insults started flying for no reason. 

8 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

It doesn't really matter which part of WCW 1999 you're referring to, there were midcard storylines running all year on Nitro. 

There were loose storylines. But they weren’t being threaded throughout the show like they were on Raw and Smackdown. Which contributed to the pace. 

28 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I didn't have any access to WCW before the Monday night wars. Aside from some of the events featuring Wargames and some of the other well known matches, which WCW ppvs of the pre-Hogan era are worth watching?

Bash 89 & 90

if you include Crockett, Starrcade 83-86 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

What @Zakk_Sabbath said.

Honestly, just watch your way through 1992 WCW, that shit was number one and the best. If I were picking my five favorite promotion + years, it would be one of them, right along with 2015 NXT, 1997 WWF, 1988 JCP, and I don't know what else right now. Maybe 1995 WCW or 1996 WCW.

WCW tended to make the most out of roster churn at the top of the card, I think. WWF/E did it twice to major effect, once in the '80s and once in the late '90s, but from about 1988 to 1997, WCW has to do a lot of covering for a consistent lack of stability in the roster (particularly at the top of the card) and IMO it usually turned out some awesome television.

Anyway, '92 WCW, man. I'm just bummed that we didn't get a Rick Rude WCW Championship reign that year because he got hurt. I'm almost certain he was going to beat Ron Simmons for it. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Casey said:

NXT is pretty much Hardcore TV with better production and workers.

Well, that also ties to another related problem- is live TV a good thing in order to make sure you can pace a show out?

The NXT pacing works well, because every fan knows in all likeliness a wrestler will appear once every three weeks...which just happens to be the perfect amount of time for a lowcarder or midcarder to show up: Just enough time so that you MISS them, but not so much time that you FORGET ABOUT them. 

By contrast, that's one of the bigger problems that the main roster has- you either see the wrestler every week (and eventually they're overexposed and you get sick of them), or you see the wrestler so little you forget they exist and don't care. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thibs said:

Some of those instances did exist, sure. But saying it was all like that is patently false. For example, the Rock’s heel turn in the fall of 98 was some of the best writing in wrestling history, period. 

The Deadly Game tournament was certainly one of my most memorable moments from that era. However I don't know why booking one swerve makes the guy so brilliant; especially since that turned out to be his only trick. I haven't seen you suggest anything of the sort but certainly anybody who suggests Vince Russo was some kind of Cyrano de Bergerac motherfucker putting words in the mouths of The Rock, Stone Cold, or even Road Dogg during his intro, as the real mastermind that got them over is unequivocally full of shit. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I missed it but he finished with an arm triangle from half guard after landing a big ol' elbow from guard. I hope he does well (and stays the fuck away from AEW). 

I'm not a fan of Swagger, but he'd be a good signing for AEW. They need heels for the top of the card. MJF is a midcarder, and Elite fans aren't going to boo Jericho or Pac. 

9 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

The Deadly Game tournament was certainly one of my most memorable moments from that era. However I don't know why booking one swerve makes the guy so brilliant; especially since that turned out to be his only trick. I haven't seen you suggest anything of the sort but certainly anybody who suggests Vince Russo was some kind of Cyrano de Bergerac motherfucker putting words in the mouths of The Rock, Stone Cold, or even Road Dogg during his intro, as the real mastermind that got them over is unequivocally full of shit. 

Writing it off as “one swerve” is either the result of a memory lapse or discounting it on purpose. There were so many moving pieces to that which all made sense in the end— Mankind, Bossman, Shane, Vince, Shamrock, Rock himself. The way they used foreshadowing was tremendous. It was a great piece of writing. It was in a different universe then the repetitive stuff being booked today. 

Nobody is arguing your second point. The creative team at the time had the best of the best to work with. But Russo, and Ferrara (who never gets enough credit), put them in interesting situations that played to their strengths. Which is more than I can say for current creative. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I missed it but he finished with an arm triangle from half guard after landing a big ol' elbow from guard. I hope he does well (and stays the fuck away from AEW). 

Weren’t the Bucks supposedly in attendance last night? 

Given how short on actual heavyweights they are, Hager would be a good pick up. 

If they were smart, they’d have actual heavyweights in the heavyweight title scene and then have a proper cruserweight divison where that style actually stands out. Which it doesn’t when you have it up and down the card. 

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I don’t know why anyone bothers discussing Russo. He’s a one hit wonder from the turn of the century. He’s about as relevant as Three Doors Down. 

Well, and their lead singer is dead. 

I have to agree with @Thibs on one thing here, which is that the Deadly Games tournament was EXTREMELY well-booked and written, probably the best booking and storytelling ever in terms of complexity in one of the big two companies, especially in how it dropped breadcrumbs that, when looking back at the tournament after the ending twist, make absolute perfect sense in retrospect. It was like a good Jasper Fforde, JK Rowling, or Agatha Christie novel where you're actually kicking yourself for not picking up on the meaning of the clues. 

Plus, that Dwayne Gill entrance into the tournament working as a double-troll on both a meta level (trolling the audience who thought that HBK might be making a comeback) and on a story level (trolling Mankind into thinking that he was the cho-cho-chosen one) was so good, man, so good, and it deserve's a chef's kiss. So I'ma do that.

*chef's kiss*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I have to agree with @Thibs on one thing here, which is that the Deadly Games tournament was EXTREMELY well-booked and written, probably the best booking and storytelling ever in terms of complexity in one of the big two companies, especially in how it dropped breadcrumbs that, when looking back at the tournament after the ending twist, make absolute perfect sense in retrospect. It was like a good Jasper Fforde, JK Rowling, or Agatha Christie novel where you're actually kicking yourself for not picking up on the meaning of the clues. 

Plus, that Dwayne Gill entrance into the tournament working as a double-troll on both a meta level (trolling the audience who thought that HBK might be making a comeback) and on a story level (trolling Mankind into thinking that he was the cho-cho-chosen one) was so good, man, so good, and it deserve's a chef's kiss. So I'ma do that.

*chef's kiss*

The fact that he was introduced as “The coach of the Pasadena Chargers....” made my day. 

Also, this was where my Meltzer dislike probably originated as he heavily hinted that HBK would be the mystery man. As a 12 yr old HBK fan, I was highly disappointed.

• Like 1