Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

Dean would be a huge get for AEW. An instant main event calibre guy with a passionate fan base, and he'd probably get a hero's welcome as a guy who walked out on WWE when he was a top of the card act to join the upstart company.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s also 33, so still really, really young despite all the miles on him. Plus, he’s been the least pushed Shield member so he has that cachet without the fatigue and he has a somewhat insane, obsessive fanbase behind him.

Also, as I noted in a previous post, despite the yo-yo booking he’s probably headlined more house shows than nearly anyone over the past four years or so. And, if I recall, there was a time when he was outdrawing Roman.

All this is to say this is possibly a very big pickup for any company. He’s still a tippy top guy in an industry devoid of those.

On the other hand, Jeff Hardy left WWE at the height of his popularity when he was arguably the biggest babyface in the country and despite being a dependable house show draw for TNA he wasn’t a game changer in the larger scheme.

So yeah...maybe he wants to go play Blackjack and pet his dog and drink with his wife but every company in the world is gonna be gunning for this guy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, he feels like a guy who still has his best years ahead of him, and doesn't have the stench of failure on him, like, say, a guy like Ryder (who would also be a good fit for that company).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig H said:

For some reason there is this thought that AEW is just going to be dumb silly shit because that's what Being the Elite is. That couldn't be further from the truth. Because they do silly skits on BTE doesn't mean that's how AEW is going to be booked. Keep in mind the serious and awesome build up to Cody vs Aldis, look at Penta vs Kenny, look at the whole build to Kenny vs Cody and Kenny and Ibushi getting back together. People can point out the dick druids all they want, but that's not the only thing that was on All In.

I don't remember them doing anything with Penta/Kenny, wasn't it just announced on BTE with Kenny spitting water and that was all?

And I don't think that people think that it is going to be silly shit due to BTE, but due to them doing comedy whenever they didn't have big match. And even big matches would often go into comedy territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hagan said:

On the other hand, Jeff Hardy left WWE at the height of his popularity when he was arguably the biggest babyface in the country and despite being a dependable house show draw for TNA he wasn’t a game changer in the larger scheme.

It's not like TNA rode him hard right out of the gate. They were busy squandering goodwill with nWo retreads and Hogan/Flair proxies in the title scene. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Way off topic but those SOBs just raised a bunch of their prices yesterday, including stamps which was the highest single increase of all time. So at this point, I'm just so pissed at them I'd be happier if Dave just sent a pigeon to my house

A 10% increase is in no way the highest increase ever.  They went from 25 cents to 29, which is a 14% increase, and back in 1975 they had a 25% increase.  Boohoo, it costs 55 cents to deliver mail across the country in generally two days, however will I be able to afford this miracle?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I still love that Ambrose doesn't like hokey shit yet did that fucking rebound lariat for far too fucking long

I was more annoyed by the goofy hop on the turnbuckle post then run to the opposite corner.  I think the turnbuckle hop was supposed to give him... extra momentum?  Or something?

Is anyone else surprised Dean never injured himself doing the suicide dive.  He looked so slow and awkward doing it, I kept fearing he'd get tangled up in the ropes and face plant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

It's not like TNA rode him hard right out of the gate. They were busy squandering goodwill with nWo retreads and Hogan/Flair proxies in the title scene. 

I agree with this. They did really good business (relative) when they brought Angle in and immediately put him in a program with Joe though. Of course they quickly squandered that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Torch report said pretty specifically he told them he doesn't care about how much money they put on the table, and this is about creative.

You know where he'd actually fit? Impact doing death matches with Callihan and what not. Too bad Impact is so fallen off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hand-Drawn Sprite Man said:

I was more annoyed by the goofy hop on the turnbuckle post then run to the opposite corner.  I think the turnbuckle hop was supposed to give him... extra momentum?  Or something?

Wasn't that a classic World of Sport-style set-up? I want to say it was called the "British stop." Pretty sure Nigel used to do it all the time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon Moxley or whatever name he's forced to use is going to end up in DDT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Wasn't that a classic World of Sport-style set-up? I want to say it was called the "British stop." Pretty sure Nigel used to do it all the time.

He did. But the difference is Dean would run up the rope, stop, turn, drop down, stop, then charge the corner. Nigel would do it as a fluid movement so it kinda made sense.

Just like the rebound lariat, where at least Nigel would clobber the poor guy (until it destroyed his arm)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Torch report said pretty specifically he told them he doesn't care about how much money they put on the table, and this is about creative.

You know where he'd actually fit? Impact doing death matches with Callihan and what not. Too bad Impact is so fallen off.

or a Switchblade Conspiracy reunion

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

A 10% increase is in no way the highest increase ever.  They went from 25 cents to 29, which is a 14% increase, and back in 1975 they had a 25% increase.  Boohoo, it costs 55 cents to deliver mail across the country in generally two days, however will I be able to afford this miracle?

I was given some bad intel my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok, I'm used to people trying to tear down the USPS based on bad intel.  It's one of my things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is that statment coming from? It's not on any of the WWE's social media platforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Edwin said:

Where is that statment coming from? It's not on any of the WWE's social media platforms.

Given to the WON (and presumably the Torch) in their reporting on the story

EDIT - meaning a media outlet, they requested comment from the WWE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And PWI has it too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We all know who THAT is! Dan Ambrosia is in the Impact Zone!"

*wins the title that night*

"This may be the biggest moment in the history of this organisation! The game has just changed!"

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hand-Drawn Sprite Man said:

I was more annoyed by the goofy hop on the turnbuckle post then run to the opposite corner.  I think the turnbuckle hop was supposed to give him... extra momentum?  Or something?

The first unwritten rule of wrestling logic is "All contact causes damage". The second rule is "All movement (including movement in the 'wrong' direction) increases momentum, and therefore also increases the impact of the eventual move".

A diving chop to the chest of a prone opponent would not be a finishing move, but if you hop around the ring on one leg and do an old 80s breakdance move, then wave your arms about a bit before dropping into the chop, that's a finisher. Why? Because all movement increases momentum.

Why does Roman set up the Superman punch by going to the corner, cocking his fist, punching the ground and doing mini squats, when he could just jump up and punch the guy? Because all movement increases momentum. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AxB said:

The first unwritten rule of wrestling logic is "All contact causes damage". The second rule is "All movement (including movement in the 'wrong' direction) increases momentum, and therefore also increases the impact of the eventual move".

A diving chop to the chest of a prone opponent would not be a finishing move, but if you hop around the ring on one leg and do an old 80s breakdance move, then wave your arms about a bit before dropping into the chop, that's a finisher. Why? Because all movement increases momentum.

Why does Roman set up the Superman punch by going to the corner, cocking his fist, punching the ground and doing mini squats, when he could just jump up and punch the guy? Because all movement increases momentum. 

Isn't that to build up his crowd meter?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm leaning towards it being a work. WWE have 3 months to negotiate. They are fighting tooth and nail to keep talents locked down, look at the Revival, why would they let Dean go when a 3 month window to renegotiate is still in play? The way last nights Raw played out made it seem like it's the beginning of a work, I don't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

And PWI has it too

And now the E themselves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

"We all know who THAT is! Dan Ambrosia is in the Impact Zone!"

*wins the title that night*

"This may be the biggest moment in the history of this organisation! The game has just changed!"

R0pJH.gif

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...