DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The WWE has announced it will be doing another reality show with Bunim-Murray (the folks who do Total Divas and Total Bellas) that is "the search for the next great female competitor"

From the very vague details provided - it comes across like it will be an all Female Tough Enough

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Putting aside the argument of whether a triple-threat match can ever be as good as a one-on-one match (because there isn't an argument), I don't think it's arguable that if you're trying to elevate someone, a one-on-one match is the vastly better way to do it. Even if Becky makes Ronda tap at WrestleMania, there's still the unresolved "but she didn't beat Charlotte!!!" bullshit in the way of the elevation. Or vice-versa. It's just not as definitive and never will be.

I agree with @MORELOCK wait what? 2019 is a crazy year.

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

They just need to redo Wrestlemania X. Coin flip. Becky Loses, has to face Nia in the first match of the card and then the winner of Charlotte vs Ronda. Then Charlotte gets screwed by Trish as special ref. 

Wait, does Becky have a little sister who can kick her leg out of her leg?

Finn's kind of like a snot-nosed younger sibling.

That's what I felt they should do I wrote about it in one of these threads that went on way too long and ended locked up. 

4 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Some of the comments on the Instagram post of this made me realise how much I hate most people.

1M% ... tons of suggestions along the lines of "faking" correct?  The comments on the article at one of my Facebook favorites is little more than a list of people I hope choke on their own vomit tomorrow.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The WWE has announced it will be doing another reality show with Bunim-Murray (the folks who do Total Divas and Total Bellas) that is "the search for the next great female competitor"

From the very vague details provided - it comes across like it will be an all Female Tough Enough

We got an all female Tough Enough. It was called NXT season 3.

• Like 1

I mean, think about it...The amount of hoops to jump through and the massive fan backlash to fake Roman having cancer so he can take time off camera and then spend time with family or film this movie is just crazy. WWE and Vince can be a complete amoral company, but faking cancer is something they're not going to do.

But for a lot of people, this is going to be their "Michael Jordan was really suspended!!!" thing.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

But they all ready have a Mandy Rose. 

18 hours ago, olythegreat89 said:

I don't think so.

A match that should've happened and would've had a very entertaining build is Shawn Michaels vs The Rock. The verbal harassment between the two would've been highly amusing.

Didn't Rock flat out refuse to work with Michaels because Shawn was a dick to him in 96-97?

I know the rumor was Maria 20, and that's why they pushed Mick/Orton a month with the tag and dragged down HHH/HWSNBN with HBK.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Rock flat out refuse to work with Michaels because Shawn was a dick to him in 96-97?

I know the rumor was Maria 20, and that's why they pushed Mick/Orton a month with the tag and dragged down HHH/HWSNBN with HBK.

That and the other was Shawn Michaels' rudeness to Rock's grandmother/a family member.

• Like 2

Been watching Smackdown from fall of 1999 lately. The Good House keeping stuff with Jarrett and Chyna was hella entertaining. I feel like that was the most over Jarrett was with the crowd ever.

Also, they had a super stacked tag division. Outlaws, Holly’s, Acolytes, X-Pac/Kane, Dudley’s,  Edge/Christian, Hardy’s, and a few more.

The shows are pretty entertaining. Everyone had a story and something going on.

Wish there was someone out there who can write a show using Russo’s strengths without his negatives. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, caley said:

You know how WWE likes to trumpet Firsts for the women’s division (First Women’s Royal Rumble! First Women’s HIAC! First Women’s TLC! First Womens 3-Way TLC!)?  You know what this Ronda leaving news is a precursor to? First Women’s ScrewJob! Steph tells the timekeeper to ring the bell when Becky puts Ronda in the sharpshooter! 

Wendi Richter read this post and felt utterly forgotten.

(Spider Lady was too busy pimping women who entrusted her with their careers to read this post.)

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Thibs said:

Been watching Smackdown from fall of 1999 lately. The Good House keeping stuff with Jarrett and Chyna was hella entertaining. I feel like that was the most over Jarrett was with the crowd ever.

Also, they had a super stacked tag division. Outlaws, Holly’s, Acolytes, X-Pac/Kane, Dudley’s,  Edge/Christian, Hardy’s, and a few more.

Wish there was someone out there who can write a show using Russo’s strengths without his negatives. 

When people today say they miss the attitude era, Im convinced it's not really about the blood or the cussing or the sex, but that crash TV format and fast pacing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thibs said:

Honestly, that's kind of a catch-22...part of writing a show with Russo's strengths is the willingness to accept they can't ALL be winners, and a very large portion of these storylines will be utter shit. 

Even if you're doing it with a roster of 45-50 and getting some good storylines, but about half are shit when you have 10-20 storylines, expand that to a roster of roughly 200 people in between Raw/SD/NXT/NXT UK. With nearly hundreds of storylines to work with...shit, if even only 10% of those storylines are any good and the rest are shit you'd be a writing GOD.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

When people today say they miss the attitude era, Im convinced it's not really about the blood or the cussing or the sex, but that crash TV format and fast pacing

100% agree. I’m in that boat. There’s no reason why you can’t write that type of show today without all the super crude stuff. 

And is there anyone other than Russo that can write that type of show? I don’t want him back... but I also don’t see anyone else that can write a show where things are actually happening. 

It seems like 90% of shows today are guys telling each other they’re the best or they want the belt. 

25 minutes ago, Thibs said:

100% agree. I’m in that boat. There’s no reason why you can’t write that type of show today without all the super crude stuff. 

And is there anyone other than Russo that can write that type of show? I don’t want him back... but I also don’t see anyone else that can write a show where things are actually happening. 

It seems like 90% of shows today are guys telling each other they’re the best or they want the belt. 

It would be near impossible to do live but I always thought a really great idea/challenge would be to write a wrestling show where anything that takes place outside of the ring is done in a single shot like when they storm the projects in season one of true detective

• Like 1

Fuck the Russo crash tv pacing. It makes it impossible for any storyline to land because you've already moved on to the next dumbass segment. 1999 is the worst year in wrestling I've ever seen. The matches sucked. The stories sucked. The pacing sucked.

You want to see a perfectly paced pro wrestling show, watch early Nitros.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1