DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

YouTube sent me on a Gordon Lightfoot spoof run this morning ...

SCTV - Gordon Lightfoot Sings Every Song Ever Written - YouTube

(This and "Stairways to Heaven" are in the upper echelon of SCTV commercial spoofs)

Burton Cummings as Gordon Lightfoot - YouTube

(Burton Cummings of The Guess Who doing Gordon doing Rod Stewart and Roy Orbison!)

(Apologies for link issues)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 9:59 PM, odessasteps said:

One of my favorite covers now. RIP Gordon, 

If Muskegon, MI and Mayor of Kingstown were a song. I love this song with all of my heart. I remember hearing this when I was a kid and twenty years later the absolute mastery of it(especially the guitar work) hit me.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Deserves all the respect in the world.  Dealing with Morrissey for a decade and never resorting to murder?   

King stuff. 

• Like 1

Really bummed, like I knew the Smiths were never actually going to do a reunion because of Moz being such a rancid twat, but I still always had just an ember of hope. I also don't think it a coincidence that Rourke was on the best Morrissey solo albums.

• Like 1

Rest in Peace Tina Turner.

A true legend. Simply the Best. She left a huge mark, paved the way for a whole ton of artists to follow. Simply the Best.

Edited by AxB
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

RIP

Someone asked me how old she was and I figured 70 something. Nope, 83. 

I was going to post this song, such a remarkable talent. Survived a long, abusive relationship as well as an abusive producer. 

• Like 1

If you haven't seen the doc on her from HBO, check it out ASAP. I had no clue how hard she struggled to get back into the mainstream, since her songs were absolutely everywhere when I was a kid. 

The world's a LOT less cool without Tina 💔

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Someone asked me how old she was and I figured 70 something. Nope, 83. 

Tina Turner was an 80s icon, but she had a 20 year long legendary career before the 80s even started.  Ike was an abusive piece of shit, but he's also one of the most important figures in the history of American music.  His band in my opinion has the best case for the inventors of rock and roll, but that was kind of a happy accident.  The most important thing that he did on purpose was introduce the world to Tina Turner.  She was as much of a total package as we've ever really seen as a performer.  First, she had a fucking great singing voice, and not just her range and tone, but the power of her voice was fucking incredible.  Then you add the charisma.  We talk about star power, but I can't think of a performer who was more magnetic on stage.  She's absolutely on the short list of best live performers of all time.  She was also a sex symbol of the type that didn't really exist before her.  If you go back and watch young Tina Turner performances on YouTube, you'll see a woman who is built like a modern Olympic athlete.  She was so strong and so muscular, but also undeniably feminine in a way that we still rarely see.  She was beautiful, talented, charismatic, and absolutely impossible to ignore.  Rest in Peace to an absolute legend and one of the most innovative and groundbreaking women in the history of American music.  Every single female performer who came after her owes her a debt of gratitude.  She's like James Brown where everything looked, felt, and sounded one way until she came around, then it looked, felt, and sounded a little bit like Tina for everybody who came after her.  There will never be another Tina Turner, because she kicked down so many doors and broke through so many walls that everyone has room to be who they are because of how openly she was who she was.  

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

If you haven't seen the doc on her from HBO, check it out ASAP. I had no clue how hard she struggled to get back into the mainstream, since her songs were absolutely everywhere when I was a kid. 

The world's a LOT less cool without Tina 💔

This X 1000. It just aired on HBO and I should've known it was on for a reason. 

Tina was the shit. My mom saw her live and said it was the best concert ever. Best voice, best gams, toughest and roughest, total wallbreaker. Everything supremebve said, basically.

RIP

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I can't find the exact video but there is her doing a ballad version of the Beatles' "Help!" live at the end of the Tina documentary that will crush your world. Just incredible.

Tina Turner is on the short list of performers who if she covers your song, I don't give a fuck how good your version was, it's her song now.  

• Like 2

Jesus fucking Christ. I get on Instagram after a self-imposed removal from that and Facebook and I found out that Algy Ward passed away two days ago. 

Tank - Power Of The Hunter - YouTube

He also played on the Damned's Machine Gun Etiquette, one of the greatest punk albums ever, besides being in one of the best metal bands ever, Tank. 

RIP

FUCK FUCK FUCK!!! Mark Adams from Saint Vitus died too. Maybe I should just stay off of social media permanently. 

Burial at Sea - YouTube

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 1