DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Not a good week at all.  Somehow we've not mentioned:

Scott Kemper, guitarist and founding member of The Dictators died.

Also, somehow no one mentioned Geordie Walker, guitarist for Killing Joke died.

• Sad 1

I was just coming in here to post about Geordie! I forget about Killing Joke a lot but I like What's THIS For....!, Fire Dances, and Night Time a good deal (even if that first EP and the later stuff is overrated/not my cuppa). 

Myles Goodwin from April Wine just passed away as well. I've honestly never even heard them, to my recollection, but like other bands such as Y&T, Triumph, Pat Travers, etc. they were standards of the early '80s hard rock scene and were listened to by a lot of bands I listen to. RIP

EDIT: Of course I'm listening to the first one and it's great. Young me was stupid (current me is too but that's a different story). I've, errr, got some listening to do (like that tape of Extremities in the tape case up to my left). 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Frank Farian, best known as songwriter, producer and singer of Boney M. and basically being Milli Vanilli, passed away yesterday at the age of 82.

In memoriam,  can we finally admit both "Girl You Know It's True," and "Blame it on the Rain," are certified bangers?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert S said:

Frank Farian, best known as songwriter, producer and singer of Boney M. and basically being Milli Vanilli, passed away yesterday at the age of 82.

I never knew this! I've had the Milli Vanilli doc on my watchlist for awhile, guess I should have watched it instead of investing so much time in The Curse.

11 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I never knew this! I've had the Milli Vanilli doc on my watchlist for awhile, guess I should have watched it instead of investing so much time in The Curse.

Hell, I didn't know there was a doc. However, I had watched interviews with Rob Morvan (re: Milli Vanilli) and researched a bit to know the group was just an amalgamation of different male (and female) singers w/ Rob and Fab as the lip syncing front men. Boney M, on the hand, was Frank singing all of Bobby Farrell's parts. AFAIK, the female singers of the group actually sung their parts.

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hell, I didn't know there was a doc. However, I had watched interviews with Rob Morvan (re: Milli Vanilli) and researched a bit to know the group was just an amalgamation of different male (and female) singers w/ Rob and Fab as the lip syncing front men. Boney M, on the hand, was Frank singing all of Bobby Farrell's parts. AFAIK, the female singers of the group actually sung their parts.

Reg. Boney M, one of the female singers' voice (Maizie Williams) was not used in studio recordings. Farrell and Williams did sing during live performances, though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The Hit Parade podcast has a good two parter on Milli Vanilli and Farin.

• Thanks 1

Even if it wasn't Bobby on the records, nobody else could dance like Bobby. 

I swear there is a reason between me looking up "Daddy Cool" on Youtube and seeing a full video of the film Cocaine: One Man's Seduction in the sidebar, but I just can't get the...

...connection. 😤

I read his autobiography last year and give it the highest recommendation. He was there at the birth of rock and roll and describes it in detail. He was always a freedom fighter, always one bad motherfucker. The greatest. 

RIP

• Like 2