DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

supremebve wrote it best, I'm not gonna repeat any of that.

But imagine being such an icon that over 180,000 people show up somewhere, just to see you be you in your element. This wasn't a festival; it was people coming just to see Tina Turner.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, dogwelder said:

RIP Tony Bennett

It's really weird, for some reason I wanted to hear Tom Jones' "I'll Never Fall in Love Again," last night but I couldn't remember the name of the song.  I mistakenly thought Tony Bennett sang it, so I ended up listening to 5-10 Tony Bennett songs trying to find it.  It's probably the most Tony Bennett I've ever listened to, and then I wake up to hear he died.  Tony Bennett was a great performer who had an even more incredible career.  RIP to a legend.

Tony Bennett is - as far as I know, anyway - my dad's favorite singer. I sent him a text yesterday morning to ask if he'd heard the news. He replied that he had, and also wrote back "there is sadness in the kingdom." 

One of my favorite radio stations led off their morning show with this yesterday. 

Edited by Teflon Turtle
  • Like 1

Remember this song well, partially because I love MC Lyte. This was before she blew up with Nothing Compares 2 U (which happened when I was in college and was MASSIVE on our radio station there, even with people who normally wouldn't have played "college" music).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Remember this song well, partially because I love MC Lyte. This was before she blew up with Nothing Compares 2 U (which happened when I was in college and was MASSIVE on our radio station there, even with people who normally wouldn't have played "college" music).

Just read about this. I only got into her (early) material this year. This sucks! The Lion and The Cobra is an amazing album from the word go, but nothing will ever beat "Troy" or "A Drink before the War"

• Like 3

RIP Sinead.  I was watching the night she went batshit on SNL.  It was totally great.  We should all be so bold and unapologetic.

People so close to me in age passing away is more than a bit concerning.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

As part of the service, most of the music industry and entertainment in 1992 should have to publicly apologize to her while walking to the casket.  As shocking to the system it was, she not only completely right but miles ahead of it.  And instead she was almost  blacklisted completely.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

RIP Sinead.  I was watching the night she went batshit on SNL.  It was totally great.  We should all be so bold and unapologetic.

Batshit isn't exactly a word I'd use.  Especially since it has such a massively negative connotation.  Because always remember...

NYPICHPDPICT000014707709.jpg

She was 100% correct. 

• Like 2

So, nobody is going to post "THE" video?  Seriously, I can't think of another music video that matched song and visual better.  Sinead O'Connor was a lot of things, a lot of them memorable, but I'm not going to remember any of them more than this video.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...