DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

17 hours ago, Contentious C said:

And Robbie Robertson now, too.  Hasn't been a good year for musicians.

One of the best all time posts in the history of Twitter:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fuck, man... John Kezdy died. 

Say what you want about him going into law after being in a punk band, or some of his stupid opinions, he was a real motherfucker. And his group was the best Chicago had to offer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77lW-lEZCyM&ab_channel=LoboAttitudine

EDIT: This is really shitty -- he died because he was on his bike and he hit an Amazon truck that illegally parked in the bike lane. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, Travis Sheldon said:

There's a guy whose career has eluded me.

I know the hits, but he must have had something else going on to have put together a career like that.

R.I.P. Margarita Man

I always thought dude was lame and then I had kids and turned 40 and while I still don't like it, I get it.

Still never had Heinz 57 on a burger but that sounds pretty great. 

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and all the Parrotheads did weep tears of tequila

Anyway, RIP Robert Becerra from the (LA) Stains. One of the most expensive records these days and most sorely in need of a re-release (fuck Greg Ginn! Bootleg it!). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPjvyOoUsk&pp=ygURc3RhaW5zIGZ1bGwgYWxidW0%3D

Greg Ginn owed him more than money.

R.I.P. Rob

So I didn't see it mentioned on here, and I don't have social media, but Rick Froburg, vocalist of Pitchfork, Drive Like Jehu, and Hot Snakes, passed away at the end of June/beginning of July (seeing different dates, just found out myself so...). Dude was only 55 and apparently went by natural causes, an unidentified heart disease 😞😞😞

Edited by Coletti

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 7:01 PM, Coletti said:

So I didn't see it mentioned on here, and I don't have social media, but Rick Froburg, vocalist of Pitchfork, Drive Like Jehu, and Hot Snakes, passed away at the end of June/beginning of July (seeing different dates, just found out myself so...). Dude was only 55 and apparently went by natural causes, an unidentified heart disease 😞😞😞

If you played GTA5, you probably had this song blasting out of your radio during a lot of car chases.

Yeah, it is not comforting to read about good men who die of natural causes that are the same age as I am.

RIP Rick Froburg.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVznnoptsmM&ab_channel=yojimbo1978

That was my introduction to the Pogues. Weird, being that I was already long involved in the punk scene and people had turned me on to all kinds of different music, from early Tom Waits to the Smiths and others, stuff that I'd probably never have gone out of my way to find otherwise -- like the Pogues. 

A superhuman performer and a legend. He is counted, indeed. 

RIP

• Like 2