DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

I thought it sucked. They kept hammering the same two jokes over and over and OVER again for twenty minutes straight. And what the hell was the message supposed to be, beyond "our society is overly sensitive"? Even that rang hollow, considering that almost everything PC Principal complained about in his opening rant was absolutely true. (And oh god, why is THAT character apparently sticking around long-term?!) And they let Tom Brady off with the gentlest of slaps on the wrist, compared to how hard they've roasted other athletes and even the NFL in the past.

I think it was their response to a whole number of things, like SJWs, white knights, those two groups being reprehensible idiots in other ways, and how the whole thing is really fucking gross. I liked it a lot, but thought it could have been more focused. Just as an example, the Kaitlyn Jenner thing had to do with so many fucking people getting chastised because they didn't get down on their hands and knees and shout about how brave she is, which is great. I agree, that was such bullshit. Just because you had an honest opinion that wasn't derogatory, but also wasn't you proclaiming Kaitlyn as a brave woman, lead to you getting bashed by a bunch of assholes who have done things a whole lot worse. The same goes for defending women in that episode or how no one can make a joke about something without folks getting all up in arms.

• Like 1

I thought it sucked. They kept hammering the same two jokes over and over and OVER again for twenty minutes straight. And what the hell was the message supposed to be, beyond "our society is overly sensitive"? Even that rang hollow, considering that almost everything PC Principal complained about in his opening rant was absolutely true. (And oh god, why is THAT character apparently sticking around long-term?!) And they let Tom Brady off with the gentlest of slaps on the wrist, compared to how hard they've roasted other athletes and even the NFL in the past.

I think it was their response to a whole number of things, like SJWs, white knights, those two groups being reprehensible idiots in other ways, and how the whole thing is really fucking gross. I liked it a lot, but thought it could have been more focused. Just as an example, the Kaitlyn Jenner thing had to do with so many fucking people getting chastised because they didn't get down on their hands and knees and shout about how brave she is, which is great. I agree, that was such bullshit. Just because you had an honest opinion that wasn't derogatory, but also wasn't you proclaiming Kaitlyn as a brave woman, lead to you getting bashed by a bunch of assholes who have done things a whole lot worse. The same goes for defending women in that episode or how no one can make a joke about something without folks getting all up in arms.

I don't give a damn what anyone says...I loved this episode.

Hungover Randy had me in tears.

• Like 1

I'm not proud of how much I laughed at the Hot Cosby line... 

Hungover Randy really was the best though.  "Yes, Stan.  I had a few beverages and checked your friend's privilege."

They could get a whole season out of NFL jokes.  The Redskins episode is one of the best ever.

Hungover Randy was glorious. The PC Bros were intermittently hilarious but didn't really work for me as a whole; I feel like there are way more nuanced and interesting ways to mock the rage-addicted Twitter Warriors than just painting them as indistinguishable from white frat boys. The Tom Brady stuff amused me as someone who doesn't give half a shit about feetsball, but I'm not sure if it's more or less funny to those who do. PCP vs Cartman (the verbal exchange and the beating) had me howling, though.

Can anyone tell me, was Garrison walking through the empty city while Safety Dance starts blaring up supposed to be a reference to something?  Or was him walking through an empty city just a random callback to 28 Days Later or I am Legend?

Men Without Hats is a Canadian group. 

I think that episode is probably a lot more funny if that happened in your city. Since it did happen in mine almost exactly the way it happened in the episode (farm town built a 'city center', now a Whole Foods is opening next month less than five minutes from my home), it cracked me up.

This bullshit is happening all over..  South Park hit it spot on.  I've loved this season. 

So true, here in Edmonton our Sodo Sopa is called the Ice District. I laughed pretty hard when I saw this ad for a high rise in the area.

12075049_10154228322264606_2805027908461

South Park is so spot on it's scary.

• Like 1