DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

Big fan of the 'member berries, though, and the nostalgia thing immediately leading to the comeback of Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich. Even if every episode isn't one laugh after another, they're consistently well written. I dunno if they'll try to carry through a story arc through the whole season, especially since I bet they'll go back to the superheroes thing at the end of the season to promote the video game.

Since South Park now does season-long storylines I have started to take it like I do other shows like that, which is just accepting not every episode will be a home run since they have to take the time to tell more of a story. I am not sure if this is better or worse than the old style of each episode being standalone and often ridiculous, but I don't mind it. I thought the premiere definitely had some funny moments and the 'cliffhanger' will get me to watch next week for sure. Not that I wouldn't have anyway.

• Like 1

I kind of wish South Park would stay out of actual politics. With someone as crazy as Trump this close to the presidency, it's too simplistic and lazy to regurgitate the Douche vs. Turd dynamic.

Even though I don't always agree with them, they're much better at social commentary. The disingenuous Cartman and Kaepernick anthem material was top notch.

• Like 1

The whole episode was brilliant.

Stan answered the political question when he asked 'Do we have to go through this every four years?'  Spot on Stan.

Giant Douche vs. Turd Sandwich is necessary given the political climate today.  Both characters are everywhere on the television.  Pure gold and if you are angry at their political satire it must have touched a nerve.

Token's Life Matters.  How many heads exploded when they read the shirt?  The best part of the sarcasm?  Token was nowhere to be found in the episode.  Brilliant!

Cartman was so spot on 

Kyle's dad?  Multi-layered with respect to old men trolling young women online.  Best part of the end was Kyle's dad pouring himself a glass of wine just like he was about to sit down and write a Yelp review from last season.

• Like 2

The funniest part was probably the beginning, with everybody freaking out over and analyzing like it was an Olympic sport at how many girls sat out the anthem ("and three of them weren't even black!")... then everyone leaves the volleyball game aside from three people. 

Speaking of "them" being all over the television, there was even an anti-Trump ad aired during the show.

3 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

The whole episode was brilliant.

Stan answered the political question when he asked 'Do we have to go through this every four years?'  Spot on Stan.

Giant Douche vs. Turd Sandwich is necessary given the political climate today.  Both characters are everywhere on the television.  Pure gold and if you are angry at their political satire it must have touched a nerve.

Token's Life Matters.  How many heads exploded when they read the shirt?  The best part of the sarcasm?  Token was nowhere to be found in the episode.  Brilliant!

Cartman was so spot on 

Kyle's dad?  Multi-layered with respect to old men trolling young women online.  Best part of the end was Kyle's dad pouring himself a glass of wine just like he was about to sit down and write a Yelp review from last season.

I think, and I may be presumptuous, Brandon's main point was how it seemed like they initially flattened Hilldog and Trump as two equally loathsome choices. This didn't last long when the reveal of Garrison not having a clue of what to do if/when he gets elected and all the intentional tanking from there certainly separated the two candidates.

'Member berries were so amazing. I'll nerd out for a second but it reminds me of Siegfried Kracauer's theory of the German collective psyche retreating into the shell or womb in the '30s and how this was reflected in their art (particularly films). They then gave their decision making over to a lunatic demagogue and dictator. This whole nostalgia kick and super hero revival the last ~10 years is similar and this election is kind of a product of that sentiment. 'Member berries being the manifestation of that is just so perfect, particularly when they start bringing up racist conservative ideals at the end. Probably the smartest thing they've done in years.

Does anyone know what the music is in the scene at the end where the girls are breaking up with the boys? It seems like there's a reference there that would add to the joke if I just knew what it was.

This one was the apex of the way the show's been traveling lately - it wasn't all that funny (it had some funny moments), but the plot has me completely hooked. The writing's gotten sharper, but the show's not as funny. Still, I'll take it, because of the sharp writing. It just seems odd.

I was kind of shocked when it appeared the girl jumped off the bridge.  I thought they went to a point that I never expected them to.  Turns out it was just her phone and I just had to laugh.  Poor, poor Cartman.  He raised so much hell over the years that even when he doesn't do it he gets punished.  The episode was funny at times, kind of dark and wholly engrossing.  I haven't seen South Park in a while, but I like where they're going with this.  I still want hilarious bullshit so hopefully after next week they'll go back to more of that.

The suicide had a bigger layer.  In this era of being addicted to our smartphones and the Internet are you alive if you are not on the Internet or do not have a smartphone?  I ask this because I may be one of the last people without a smartphone.

I am on a legacy pay-per-use plan so old I pay less than $10 a month.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

The suicide had a bigger layer.  In this era of being addicted to our smartphones and the Internet are you alive if you are not on the Internet or do not have a smartphone?  I ask this because I may be one of the last people without a smartphone.

I am on a legacy pay-per-use plan so old I pay less than $10 a month.  

If you want to go that route, then I agree on that one. It's a deeper line of thought than I expected from this show, but it's fascinating to think of things like this.  That said, I wonder if that was their intent.  I think they just wanted to show that she didn't kill herself, just tossed the phone into the water.  Not a bad deal, but they treated it like it was.  But considering the rest of the episode if that's what they were going with then holy shit.

How much better can you get?  Internet addiction was destroyed last night.  Cartman goes off the Internet, discovers there is a world out there, gets a girlfriend, and becomes a playa.

The playground or park is a spot where people actually form human interactions.  

The bits from the debate and campaign were spot on.