DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

Watched the latest two episodes. They weren't the funniest, but like someone else mentioned, I'm totally into the story. I did laugh my ass off any time Garrison would turn around in frustration and the end of episode three had me in stitches.

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Oyaji said:

This season has been wonderful. Was not so hot on last season but pretty much everything has been great so far. 

I thought last season started out so well then just kind of fell apart halfway through.  When it went from mocking Whole Foods/PC to a weird anti-advertisement thing it totally lost its momentum.

Gerald's "have you seen this? Have you heard about this?" line and smile was tremendous. Strong start to the season. Also, in the premiere when one of the girl's called Cartman a fat fuck and Butters just lost it laughing, gold. GOLD. Oh, and anything involving Scott Malkinson is A+++

A few episodes in and I can't say I am a fan of this season. I am starting to really miss the old days of each episode just being the boys getting into some weird and funny situation. I think I laughed twice that entire episode, they are putting more effort into telling a long term story than making each episode funny by itself.

Last season, the payoff wasn't really worth the season build-up, even though it did have a few really funny individual episodes. They've always had social commentary in their episodes, and I have no issue with that, they just seem to be laying it on extra thick so far this year at the expense of being a comedy.

I like the story a whole lot and am anxious to see where it goes, but you're right, they're sacrificing laughs for the story. There's still some funny stuff in each episode, but it's taking a back seat to keeping two involved storylines moving along. Maybe next season will be a reaction to the storytelling focus of the last two seasons. Or not.

Personally, I think they're hitting all the marks, and I think it's all fucking hilarious. But next season, please, let's have episodes set in Hell or maybe even Kenny dying for a non-topical reason. The constant focus on the everyday madness which is getting so tiring is obviously making some of you want to eat some 'memberberries about 1996. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Personally, I think they're hitting all the marks, and I think it's all fucking hilarious. But next season, please, let's have episodes set in Hell or maybe even Kenny dying for a non-topical reason. The constant focus on the everyday madness which is getting so tiring is obviously making some of you want to eat some 'memberberries about 1996. 

Or 2014. I don't need berries for that, my memory goes back two years on its own ;) It had some episode to episode continuity but still had each episode have its own story as well. I thought that formula worked better. I still enjoy the show, I just watch South Park more for humor than deep storylines, just a personal preference.

This show hasn't regularly been about the boys being boys since around season 8 or 9. They became avatars for Matt and Trey's politics around that time and got in increasingly ridiculous situations. It's gone even more in that direction since though. 

This season is smoking last season out of the water. If they converge the troll stuff with the Trump storyline, which would be easy with this "alt" right bullshit, they will win all the stars. And member berries of course. The AA-styled meeting was fantastic. 

This is a different South Park.  Instead of going for the low hanging fruit they are being more selective.  People were saying yesterday was a huge rib on Mr. Robot.  The guys were saying that the election has been parodied so many times it is overdone.  Instead, they are taking a more complex approach that people may or may not get.

Personally, last night was a top 10 all-time episode.

On 10/13/2016 at 6:02 PM, evilwaldo said:

Cartman is the best character this season.  Off the Internet he is this calm, well-adjusted person with a girlfriend.  He even called his girlfriend boo.  I hope they keep this going because people are freaking out over it.

Cartman has none of those qualities without the internet.  He's pure evil to his core.  This is just his latest angle.  I've never seen him exhibit any of those qualities without the internet.

• 2 weeks later...

"He's burnin' bright, littlle girl!"

'Member when the member berries set out on a Pixar-esque adventure to kill one of their own?

Fantastic show, best of the new season. Did you guys know the Danish song is an actual song from a Danish kids' show?

Even without the internet, Cartman is still Cartman.  But doesn't Heidi already know about his past?  She was the one who thought he was the troll.  All the girls did.  For good reason.  All the girls always hated him before.  So Heidi's going to dump him for trashing Ghostbusters in an e-mail but not all the other public garbage he's done in the past? 

Cartman's basically been Devin Faraci this season.  

• 2 weeks later...