DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

• 2 weeks later...

The calbacks have really been a highlight of the season, just because it's something they really haven't done before after two billion seasons. All of the episodes aren't fantastic classics - the only two that REALLY stand out this season are last week's and the up-there-with-the-best-of-them Freemium episode - but the world is much better off with South Park.

I wish they'd throw their backs into something like a new musical South Park movie. The South Park movie was pretty great, even if some of the songs were uneven.

EDIT: Season finale's calling back to the first episode of the season by going after the Redskins again. Woohoo!

I had never seen Pewdie Pie until these eps. I knew there was a duse who uses that name who made a ridiculous quantity of money off YouTube gaming videos, but I had no idea what he's lIke or anything. If the bits with him are a decent example of his output, then I'm tempted to agree with the grandpas.

I have been saying that "Baby It's Cold Outside" is a song about date rape for years

I was just saying the same thing to a co-worker last night

Yeah I had that thought as well then I saw Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett performing the song so I had to turn the channel as fast as possible before my mind went there.

• 8 months later...

You could see them tackling this issue from a mile away; I said to some friends a few weeks ago that it's very likely that they cross the line this season with the rise of virulent political correctness. I can see both sides of it - it's important to recognize the power of language and viewpoints of social and political groups that aren't traditional holders of power but at the same time this raising of awareness can be done in a far more constructive and open manner. While it's an important topic, I just felt like it didn't make for a very funny episode. The only part that made me laugh was Jared creeping. I did like the Tom Brady stuff though.

The fact that the PC police were all white college educated males was pretty funny/ironic but missing the point. While I think we've all met people like that, they're hardly the poster children of the movement.

I thought it sucked. They kept hammering the same two jokes over and over and OVER again for twenty minutes straight. And what the hell was the message supposed to be, beyond "our society is overly sensitive"? Even that rang hollow, considering that almost everything PC Principal complained about in his opening rant was absolutely true. (And oh god, why is THAT character apparently sticking around long-term?!) And they let Tom Brady off with the gentlest of slaps on the wrist, compared to how hard they've roasted other athletes and even the NFL in the past.