DVDVR Message Board

South Park: Still Goin' Strong

Petey

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious. The entire point of the joke was just how ludicrously easy everything got immediately resolved once everyone was pointing guns at each other.

I loved the gun stuff, and the throwaway bit about Randy knowing Classi was awesome, as was the random hepatitis reference with vampires. Everything else... meh. It's not terrible, South Park at its worst is still better than most TV shows could ever dream of being; but they did indeed do a better job last year with the season-long storyline.

Mostly concerning freedom of thought and expression and they've been heavily critical of gun culture in the past. Just look at Uncle Jimbo's character and the hunting episode with the kids (including Cartman's all-time great line, "I'd never kill someone... Unless they pissed me off!"). I think they're more in favour of defeating the idea of guns = safety than they are making laws to control people's access to guns. Long-term problem solving for long-term issues, but right now it's pretty clear there are enough people in America that can't handle the responsibility.

I watched the last two episodes of the season back-to-back last night and was a little disappointed in how half-assed they seemed to tie everything in. I felt like the stuff with PC Principal and PC culture being used by advertisers was pretty weak. I do, however, love the continual use of Barbrady as the murder tool for middle/upper class folk who want people eliminated but don't want to get their hands dirty. That was probably the best political commentary made all season long.

• Like 1

Mostly concerning freedom of thought and expression and they've been heavily critical of gun culture in the past. Just look at Uncle Jimbo's character and the hunting episode with the kids (including Cartman's all-time great line, "I'd never kill someone... Unless they pissed me off!"). I think they're more in favour of defeating the idea of guns = safety than they are making laws to control people's access to guns. Long-term problem solving for long-term issues, but right now it's pretty clear there are enough people in America that can't handle the responsibility.

I watched the last two episodes of the season back-to-back last night and was a little disappointed in how half-assed they seemed to tie everything in. I felt like the stuff with PC Principal and PC culture being used by advertisers was pretty weak. I do, however, love the continual use of Barbrady as the murder tool for middle/upper class folk who want people eliminated but don't want to get their hands dirty. That was probably the best political commentary made all season long.

There's also this.

• Like 1

I felt they were pretty harsh on Trump earlier in the season too. The whole "stop fucking around because it's getting a little too close to this guy actually becoming President" thing.  I didn't feel it was all liberal bashing. A lot went on during the season and I didn't feel like they pulled any punches with any particular group.

I fucking loved this season. It was fucking genius level satire while being funny as hell. People trying to pigeon hole Matt and Trey's politics are totally missing the point.

Oh, and if you really think they were trying to say guns are good here then you might have eaten paint chips as a child.

There are really no sacred cows in Matt and Trey's world and this season was a pretty good reminder. At the same time, the finale felt flat to me after the buildup. Then the funny thing was I caught replays of the episodes where Stan starts thinking everything is shit (literally) and meets the secret Asperger's cult, starts to drink, etc. and thought "hey, they're kind of ripping themselves off this season". And that whole storyline ended up on a perfect note of pessimism instead of whatever that finale was. 

It felt like they could have used one more episode, about ten minutes into the finale I had no idea how they were going to wrap up everything so fast. I also wish there was somewhere in the last few episodes more of a 'normal' SP episode but still in the storyline, like the Yelp episode with Cartman. The last few just flew through a plot that didn't seem fully fleshed out. I agree with whomever said that it felt like when they made episode one they didn't have episode ten planned yet, which SP normally doesn't but if there is a strict season-long plot is a bit more necessary.

I don't care about politics or whose side they are on, I just want to be amused. I am a simple man :)

I fucking loved this season. It was fucking genius level satire while being funny as hell. People trying to pigeon hole Matt and Trey's politics are totally missing the point.

Oh, and if you really think they were trying to say guns are good here then you might have eaten paint chips as a child.

Every negative situation - Cartman fighting with his mom, Stan's family at the dinner table and the conclusion- was solved with guns in everybody's hands. Nobody was shot, not even by accident, with tension at a fever pitch. Perhaps I misread it, but it was poorly orchestrated.

The larger point is that it's not really even a show anymore. It's too predictable and not funny. You can literally watch the news and forecast what South Park is going to be about. Bill Cosby rape accusations? Yep. Trayvon Martin? You betcha. Redskins lose their trademark. Oh yeah. And on and on and on...

I want Cartman to risk his friend's life just so he can go to Casa Bonita, Randy fighting other fathers at Stan's baseball games and Butters as a pimp. That's what made the show great for so many years.

Every negative situation - Cartman fighting with his mom, Stan's family at the dinner table and the conclusion- was solved with guns in everybody's hands. Nobody was shot, not even by accident, with tension at a fever pitch. Perhaps I misread it, but it was poorly orchestrated.

The larger point is that it's not really even a show anymore. It's too predictable and not funny. You can literally watch the news and forecast what South Park is going to be about. Bill Cosby rape accusations? Yep. Trayvon Martin? You betcha. Redskins lose their trademark. Oh yeah. And on and on and on...

I want Cartman to risk his friend's life just so he can go to Casa Bonita, Randy fighting other fathers at Stan's baseball games and Butters as a pimp. That's what made the show great for so many years.

I just want a mix of that. I don't mind the topical episodes but I want the goofy funny episodes that focus on the kids too. This season was just too driven by the political and current events for me, I just would have liked a 'break' every few episodes.

Nobody was shot, not even by accident, with tension at a fever pitch.

In the same season where they had Barbrady shooting people by accident over and over again? They made their views pretty clear. Although I do think they missed an opportunity to have a ridiculously blood-soaked shootout at the gun show, I'm actually surprised they didn't do that.

I'm sitting here watching the cisgender episode and the Lorde stuff is better than anything this season. Randy exposing Stan to his musical method had me falling out, then right after he shows up at work in Cramps shirt, wig and dress. Just fantastic. 

Why is it there is so much South Park on these days? If it isn't Comedy Central reruns it's on MTV.

• 7 months later...

I have liked South Park since the beginning. I feel this last season was a great change of pace and the long story arc was interesting and fun. It was by no means perfect and some of the episodes suffered from the change in storytelling, but it kept me watching all season long. In the past I normally only watch every other episode or so. I know I can always catch up in reruns. I think some past seasons of American Dad were more watchable than some past seasons of South Park, but this past season has eclipsed American Dad, which has become stale.

My passion for South Park was renewed (even tho PC Principal was an unfunny character). I am a liberal guy but I don't care if South Park's jokes skew liberal or conservative. To me it only matters that it is funny rather than heavy handed. Other than the that episode with the aethiest otter people from the future, South Park has never offended me politically or came off as heavy handed. I love Obama but also don't mind when he or anything liberal is the butt of a South Park joke, because their humor has always been so smart that it gets a pass.

I believe next season of South Park should feature a long story arc, but the material will be even better now that they had a chance to work out the kinks. Based on the current stark unpopularity of both Clinton and Trump, the stage is set to see that sharp-as-an-axe satire and Randy Marsh hijinx we all love.

"Mark your calendars! South Park returns for its 20th season with all-new episodes starting Wednesday, September 14th at 10PM on Comedy Central!"

from their website, also they are renewed for 3 more seasons.

• 1 month later...