DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Even a sober person who does the steps would be rubbed the wrong way by Hogan though. Thats the clear example of Born Again Shawn being an asshole I can think of. Oh and the Chris Masters thing when him and Trips not so subtling pointed out he wasn't taking roids anymore and was smaller, but and not excusing the behavior but didn't Masters go after Micheals losing his hair first. Which as we all know was a soft spot for Shawn until like last year. Granted the sobriety programs and even church will advise you to not react to comments like that, turn the other check and what not. Shit sober meetings will give you the tools to catch yourself before reacting. So maybe Shawn is an asshole still bur not as much as one. He sincerely apologized to Bret so he seemingly does feel bad for some of his past discrepancies.

• Like 4

I think just saying who had whose best matches is rather reductive. They haven't all had the same opportunities, for one thing. Also, sometimes people just don't match up well for whatever reason (there's your next topic- great wrestlers who couldn't have great matches together).

I think Sasha is the best because when she's given an opportunity, she generally knocks it out of the park. Maybe her Asuka match isn't as good as Charlotte's Asuka match, but Sasha was given less than 10 mins on Raw with no build, and knocked it out of the park, whereas Charlotte had 20 mins at Mania with lots of pomp and circumstance (and delivered too). So, I have no doubt that Sasha, given the stage, could do something incredible with Asuka (whereas I'm doubtful whether Charlotte could have delivered the quality of match Sasha did in similar circumstances). She has good matches with just about everyone she faces. Charlotte was getting outworked by Carmella. She sells great, and emotes really well as both a babyface and a heel. Charlotte is a truly awful babyface. Bayley never worked heel. Becky is great at both. Becky is more proficient fundamentally, and would comfortably be my number two, but I think Sasha has more of an It factor, and is capable of higher highs. Sasha can be sloppy, but I've seen Bayley look lost or out of position far more often than Sasha. Sasha also has a star quality and charisma that I think the others lack. She should be the Rock of the division, but they booked her as the Jericho of the division, which isn't a bad spot, but I feel is somewhat of a waste of her talent.

• Like 2

I don't even remember Bayley/Asuka matches as being good, especially not compared to Asuka vs. the others and especially the main roster matches. Asuka v. Nia, Alexa, Sasha, Charlotte were all awesome and in NXT my favorite was still the Emma match. I miss Asuka on Raw since she rarely ever has long matches anymore on SDL. I hated the Bayley/Nia matches and thought they were destroying the idea of Nia being pushed as a monster. I'd say Asuka was easily Nia's best matches in NXT and Raw. I'd probably go Charlotte, Sasha, Becky,  bayley but as mentioned Charlotte definitely has the most chances to show it while Sasha is often dragged down and not showcased in the slightest these days.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd prefer just to have her long run now rather than having to drop it just so the Aussie crowd can see a title change, then winning it right back. I hate flip flopping titles like that.

If they are giving us a title change then Buddy Murphy is right the fuck there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

(there's your next topic- great wrestlers who couldn't have great matches together).

Misawa and Steamboat had a one on one match once. It wasn't very good. But they might have been able to have had a good one, if they'd had time to familiarise themselves with each other.

4 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Like all of the gushing over her Raw match with Ruby Riot being the best women's match in ages, when the reality is it wasn't even the best women's match on that show.  It was a sloppy slopfest and I don't think much of that was Riot's fault.

This is nonsense.  This is an example of when trying to discredit someone to fit your narrative goes too far. 

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

I don't even remember Bayley/Asuka matches as being good, especially not compared to Asuka vs. the others and especially the main roster matches. 

Interesting. I have their RAW match from earlier this year as the best main roster women's match in 2018 and probably my favorite Asuka WWE match period. I also like the two TakeOver matches more than just about anything else she's done since signing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Sasha has more of an It factor, and is capable of higher highs. Sasha can be sloppy, but I've seen Bayley look lost or out of position far more often than Sasha. Sasha also has a star quality and charisma that I think the others lack. She should be the Rock of the division, but they booked her as the Jericho of the division, which isn't a bad spot, but I feel is somewhat of a waste of her talent.

They have definitely wasted her talents. I felt her and also Bayley had the most crossover appeal coming out of NXT.  I saw a couple clips of Sasha from Wild n' Out the other day and it's amazing creative isn't pushing this person.  

But I mean they wasted Asuka too..  they wasted Bayley,  they're wasting Braun,  they waste everyone who isn't Roman.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

If I forced myself to re-watch it, I doubt my opinion would change.

That's fair,  I don't remember it being sloppy but I do remember it being physical and Sasha hit a wonderful dive through the ropes.  Honestly, I don't think CM Punk could have pulled it off. 

I think a lot of people here sleep on Bayley's talent level. It's clear she was probably suffering from a crisis of confidence, but she's been much smoother the last couple months.  Becky's upped her game a ton. I wonder if the office just thinks of Sasha as too injury prone to raise her up more than she is. 

Asuka's best match was against the fired Funkadactyl.

All 4 of the Horsewomen aren't as good as Bull Nakano.

I'd like to see one of the women given an Arn Anderson gimmick as a rib on the Revival. Even if its just a rehash of Kevin Nash's parody of him. Find a broad with a receding hairline, a spinebuster and DDT based moveset and a cooler of beer.

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Asuka's best match was against the fired Funkadactyl.

All 4 of the Horsewomen aren't as good as Bull Nakano.

I'd like to see one of the women given an Arn Anderson gimmick as a rib on the Revival. Even if its just a rehash of Kevin Nash's parody of him. Find a broad with a receding hairline, a spinebuster and DDT based moveset and a cooler of beer.

ODB?

• Haha 1