Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

And that is such a bullshit self-justification, "you aren't a wrestler". Motherfucker we paid to watch you, that doesn't make it 100% in our favor, but it gives us some say in the matter ya prick.

On the one hand, there'll always be that problem with "Well, you never did it so you don't know what you're talking about" as a problem. Again, did you have to make a movie to be a film critic, write a book to be a literary critic, etc. (and there's always that template of "well, I DID wrestle a match." "In some backyard fed? Doesn't count." "No, I went to wrestling school." "And worked some shindies? Doesn't count." )

On the other hand- with more and more time, you can absolutely see there's a large portion of fans who are just smart enough to know the ins and outs of the pro wrestling scene...and yet often times are completely oblivious to what the performer is trying to do there.

And before the "death of the author" claim for face/heel dynamics, there is a big difference between "they're cheering a heel and booing a face" and, what could often be seen for example: If a great Southern-style brawler is putting on an old school battle, if the crowd is saying "You suck! Do more flipz!", then it's probably a sign that the audience doesn't know what they're talking about when they think of a good match. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That seems very likely. I watched equally salty Austin Aries go off on a fan at the Inman Sports Club in Edison, NJ because the fan simply told Aries "good match". Aries response was something along the lines of "You're not a wrestler, how do you know what makes a good match?". I

Because he bought a ticket you roided up midget. Because in the long run, his opinion matters more.  He goes away, you lost money. You go away, the company found money. 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching Vice on HBO last night and they did a piece on Voodoo Wrestling out of the Congo. It's a exactly what you think it would be. Complete spectacle. It looks amazing btw, Voodoo mixed with Pro Wrestling what could go wrong? It looks popular they had an outdoor show in Kinshasa, the place was packed, a man lit a live chicken on fire.

I couldn't find the Vice clip on the internet but I think it's really cool that they are using Pro Wrestling as a vehicle to restore their precolonial pagan culture. 

I found this abridged clip on facebook

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No an actual chicken. I get it, they lit a chicken on fire but idk it's another country with it's own customs and traditions different from ours. Also I don't think the clip I posted shows the chicken.

It focuses more on the female empowerment movement that is happening within the ranks of the Voodoo Wrestling. The gender inequality in the Congo is really bad and the women there have found themselves an outlet with pro wrestling to become larger than life super heros who can be just as good if not better than the men. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, RIPPA said:

This was already in the indie thread but it covers a lot of ground

Pete Dunne may have suffered a severe injury.

He was pulled off the Destiny Wrestling shows this weekend and when making the announcement, Destiny said the injury was "severe" and that WWE would be making an announcement shortly.

Mind you - Dunne just celebrated his 500th day as UK champ

Fuckity fuck. Best wishes to Pete Dunne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played in punk rock bands for years and while I always put more value in praise from fellow musicians, I never once told somebody who LIKED my music they were wrong to do so because they were just a fan, that would be completely fucking absurd. 

I've talked to a few wrestlers at indy shows, finding it a LOT like punk shows with people at their merch tables, and everybody - Jeff Cobb, Shayna Baszler, Ciampa, Ricochet, Flash Morgan Webster, Mark Haskins, Jimmy Havoc, Jaka and Dickinson, maybe more? - all super cool and appreciative. 

Austin Aries and folks like him that seem to hate even appreciative fans can fuck riiiiiiiiiight off. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I was watching Vice on HBO last night and they did a piece on Voodoo Wrestling out of the Congo. It's a exactly what you think it would be. Complete spectacle. It looks amazing btw, Voodoo mixed with Pro Wrestling what could go wrong? It looks popular they had an outdoor show in Kinshasa, the place was packed, a man lit a live chicken on fire.

I couldn't find the Vice clip on the internet but I think it's really cool that they are using Pro Wrestling as a vehicle to restore their precolonial pagan culture. 

I found this abridged clip on facebook

 

Papa Shango inspired, obviously.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

No an actual chicken. I get it, they lit a chicken on fire but idk it's another country with it's own customs and traditions different from ours. Also I don't think the clip I posted shows the chicken.

It focuses more on the female empowerment movement that is happening within the ranks of the Voodoo Wrestling. The gender inequality in the Congo is really bad and the women there have found themselves an outlet with pro wrestling to become larger than life super heros who can be just as good if not better than the men. 

Female empowerment and voodoo wrestling. Yeah, Vince and Stephanie McMahon are behind this. NXT Congo, most likely.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone reading this doesn't mind wrestlers blocking them on twitter, tweet a bunch of wrestlers and ask them if they preferred Justice League or Infinity War. And if any of them replies and expresses a preference, hit them with a "You have no right to an opinion, you've never been in the director's chair".

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AxB said:

If anyone reading this doesn't mind wrestlers blocking them on twitter, tweet a bunch of wrestlers and ask them if they preferred Justice League or Infinity War. And if any of them replies and expresses a preference, hit them with a "You have no right to an opinion, you've never been in the director's chair".

That is a bit of a cheat. Unless they volunteer the information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 4:39 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That seems very likely. I watched equally salty Austin Aries go off on a fan at the Inman Sports Club in Edison, NJ because the fan simply told Aries "good match". Aries response was something along the lines of "You're not a wrestler, how do you know what makes a good match?". I love Austin Aries as a wrestler, but I have no desire to ever to meet him and try to strike up a conversation. I hate that mentality. I would get in so much fucking trouble if I tried to pull something like that. "Well, it really doesn't look like my father." Your father was being eaten away by cancer. Can you do any better?

 

If he ever wants to draw real heat, come to Philly and use that line in a promo.  It will top Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 4:39 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That seems very likely. I watched equally salty Austin Aries go off on a fan at the Inman Sports Club in Edison, NJ because the fan simply told Aries "good match". Aries response was something along the lines of "You're not a wrestler, how do you know what makes a good match?". I love Austin Aries as a wrestler, but I have no desire to ever to meet him and try to strike up a conversation. I hate that mentality. I would get in so much fucking trouble if I tried to pull something like that. "Well, it really doesn't look like my father." Your father was being eaten away by cancer. Can you do any better?

 

I had a split second where I forgot you were in the mortuary business, and I thought you were envisioning Aries giving you a similar response to a criticism of his match, for you to then go off on his possibly deceased father.  I was like, "daaaaaaamn dude".  I finally got it, ha ha ha, joke's on me. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

On the one hand, there'll always be that problem with "Well, you never did it so you don't know what you're talking about" as a problem. Again, did you have to make a movie to be a film critic, write a book to be a literary critic, etc. (and there's always that template of "well, I DID wrestle a match." "In some backyard fed? Doesn't count." "No, I went to wrestling school." "And worked some shindies? Doesn't count." )

That reminded me of the time Rob Schneider tried pulling that shit on a critic, and got absolutely bodied by Roger Ebert:

Quote

 “[Deuce star Rob] Schneider retaliated by attacking [ex-Los Angeles Times columnist Patrick] Goldstein in full-page ads … ‘Maybe you didn’t win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven’t invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who’s Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers.’ … As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.”

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it last month and last night confirmed it -- New Japan needs a new heel Russian faction with sambo fighters or Onita may need to rebuild FMW by it's pro-wrestling vs. martial arts foundation and bring in a heel Russian faction with sambo fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

victorzangiev.jpg

That's what I was bassing my post on last month. Those Russian sambo fighters were golden in their short New Japan stint. Given the fiasco from last night, I think they would be perfect if they could put together an invading Russian fighter or Russian judoka invading heel faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Announced for SmackDown this Tuesday:

  • World Cup Qualifier: Randy Orton vs Big Show
  • World Cup Qualifier: Jeff Hardy vs Samoa Joe
  • SmackDown Women's Championship: Becky Lynch (c) vs Charlotte Flair -- If Becky is DQ'd, she loses the title
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So that means Show is a face

What was he when he left?

Does this count as another turn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So that means Show is a face

What was he when he left?

Does this count as another turn?

He was a face feuding with Cass and engaged in a series of matches with Braun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I think his last appearance was with the Special Olympians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had as a unique career trajectory as Big Show? He went from beating Hogan for the WCW Championship in his first match ever to dressing up like Baby New Year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly, Big Show is the Orson Welles of Wrestling. Death to False Metal!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Has anyone had as a unique career trajectory as Big Show? He went from beating Hogan for the WCW Championship in his first match ever to dressing up like Baby New Year.

 

That Havoc match is the best performance of Hogan's career. While not a good match, he sold Show as an unstoppable force of nature and made his career. It helped that Show was talented and athletic. I was imagining Ron Reise taking his place and Hogan selling Reise's strikes like death. Poor Reise could not even attack Hogan right post match, leading to the mummy hump. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...