"They don't work for us..."

"Then GET THEM."

"Fine, fine..."

"And get me Andre the Giant to be bodyslammed by Hogan."

"Andre's dead."

"Fine, cross him off the list."

What about Andre's Son?

• Haha 2

Man, it's going to be great when WWE's science division perfects that cloning technology and we get Bruiser Brody vs. 29-year-old Surfer Sting.  And Vince won't have to pay the clones for at least a couple years, till the laws catch up with the new technology.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

The Big Show DID just renew his contract

Thought for sure that they had announced Show for the Greatest Rumble so I kept expecting him to be one of the final entrants but I guess not.

4 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Man, it's going to be great when WWE's science division perfects that cloning technology and we get Bruiser Brody vs. 29-year-old Surfer Sting.  And Vince won't have to pay the clones for at least a couple years, till the laws catch up with the new technology.

If they cloned Brody, Matt might give up watching. 

11 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

So, let's pretend you're the biggest money mark in the world with a billionaire businessman kowtowing to your every conceivable need.

What three wrestlers dead and alive would you choose to be on your card? Surely you can do better than Ultimate Warrior, Yokozuna, and Undertaker.

Seriously?

Rick Rude, Randy Savage, Eddie Guerrero. 

The only hard part was bumping D-Bry for Eddie, but theoretically I could watch Bryan wrestle now, so if I can bring back the dead, I'm prioritizing them. 

Actually, I thought about putting Jim Breaks on this list too, but no, Eddie. That's who I'm going with. 

I don't know if that is better or worse than Warrior, Yoko, 'Taker, but I'd be all in on a show with those guys. 

(Rick Rude might seem a weird choice, but 1992 Rick Rude is arguably the best wrestler ever in my personal opinion.)

I think it's very cool that the Saudi Prince did that. I heard a report on NPR the other day about the drastic changes in Saudi culture  (essentially accepting westernism), and the reporter even referenced this Saudi Prince and the sport authority. 

The deceased guys i would have asked for...

Dusty Rhodes vs Bruiser Brody (there might be blood)

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (w/ Miss Elizabeth) vs "Ravishing" Rick Rude (w/ Elizabeth spray painted tights)

--------

On a side note - isn't Luke Harper a Brody clone?

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think it's very cool that the Saudi Prince did that. I heard a report on NPR the other day about the drastic changes in Saudi culture  (essentially accepting westernism), and the reporter even referenced this Saudi Prince and the sport authority. 

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (w/ Miss Elizabeth) vs "Ravishing" Rick Rude (w/ Elizabeth spray painted tights)

--------

In case you hadn't seen it, this was unearthed back in June 2016 out of the Houston Footage. As far as we know, it's the only Brody vs Dusty match to have made tape. It's 78, so Brody was still trying and Dusty was closer to his physical prime than we're used to. It's actually pretty good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

--------

His kid is named Brody/Brodie. 

I'm curious as to how GRR impacts the 100k Melbourne show later in the year.

Is this a shrewd bit of business to lock a similar show in before the Saudis offered insane money, or are they now a game changer and we're getting TM61 vs Buddy Murphy and Nathan Jones for five hours?

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

In case you hadn't seen it, this was unearthed back in June 2016 out of the Houston Footage. As far as we know, it's the only Brody vs Dusty match to have made tape. It's 78, so Brody was still trying and Dusty was closer to his physical prime than we're used to. It's actually pretty good. 

"And the champion, with a vice in his hand...."

You know it's Houston Wrestling when Bronko Lubich is the ref and has a mustache, the police officers are wearing long-sleeved baby blue shirts, and the back lights are off. The Sam Houston Colosseum was a pretty terrible arena, even back in 1978. There's a very good chance my mom was at this match, she used to be a big fan around this time, and knew all the HPD officers that got to do security.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Didn’t they announce a November show for Saudi Arabia during the GRR? 

Yes

EDIT - just to provide a little more context. Per a WON update

At the Greatest Royal Rumble show to the live audience, they announced another show in Riyadah, Saudi Arabia in November.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

His kid is named Brody/Brodie. 

and he was Brodie Lee on the indies, but it's actually because without the beard he looks like Jason Lee, whose character in Mallrats was Brodie Bruce

• Like 2

19 hours ago, (BP) said:

"I want the skinny fat Funny Fry Cook Man to wrestle Giant Gonzalez and Kamala inside the dog kennel cage match. Money is no object." 

If they drew a Pepsi logo on Aleister Black's shoulder, would the Saudi prince notice the difference?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yes, that's why it came up on the podcast. Conrad referred to the story from Harley and asked Bruce if it was true that it's a native American gimmick. Bruce confirmed as much.

Warrior’s original gimmick came from Gary Hart. Hart said that when he was booking, he had wanted two New York gang type characters named Dingo and Socko. Hellwig came into the territory so he named him Dingo and he never got anyone named Socko. He ended up calling Hellwig “The Dingo Warrior” because it was a play on Kerry being “The Modern Day Warrior” and also, “The Halstead Street Warrior, which was a nickname he gave to One Man Gang when OMG was feuding with the Von Erichs. The backstory he gave to OMG was that he and OMG used to be in a gang together back on Halstead Street in Chicago and he (Hart) was nicknamed “Slick” and OMG was nicknamed “Moon” (like he’s as big as the moon) and that’s also why OMG used CCR’s “Bad Moon Rising” as entrance music.

• Like 6

Here's the excerpt from the book. Spoilered for size:

Spoiler

Another young wrestler I was helping to develop was The Dingo Warrior. In the summer

of 1986, I was looking to create a tag team. I wanted to have two guys who looked like they

came from the Bowery in New York City, and name them Dingo and Socko – simply because I

thought they were unusual names that the fans might notice out of curiosity. When Jim Hellwig

came into Texas, I watched him wrestle, and though he was very green, felt he would be perfect

for the role of Dingo. I talked to him after his match, and he told me he went to college in

Marietta, Georgia and got a degree in chiropractic medicine, but found that he preferred

bodybuilding and wrestling. He even laid me on a table and gave me a decent chiropractic

adjustment. He told me that Red Bastien had trained him how to wrestle, so I asked him if he

was looking for someone who would help get him to the next level, and he said he was. That

night we made a deal for him to become Dingo, and for me to become his manager.

I suggested that he come down to the Sportatorium, where I could get Tim Brooks to

really teach him the fundamentals of wrestling, but Jim made it very clear to me that he wasn’t

interested in that. All he wanted me to do was to help him become a big name wrestler - because

he wasn’t interested in becoming the greatest wrestler on the card. He also felt that training at the

Sportatorium would interfere with his workout schedule, because he worked out twice a day.

When I couldn’t find the right Socko, I figured that since Kerry was The Modern Day Warrior,

and The One Man Gang did a good job as The Halsted Street Warrior, Jim should be named The

Dingo Warrior. The first night I went to the ring with him, I walked behind him so I could get a

better perspective of the people’s reaction to him - and I could watch the fans watch him. On the

way to the ring, women were reaching out and hugging him, and I knew I had a winner. He had

so much charisma, that even though his in-ring work was very green, the people forgave him for

that. They simply didn’t care.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Warrior’s original gimmick came from Gary Hart. Hart said that when he was booking, he had wanted two New York gang type characters named Dingo and Socko. Hellwig came into the territory so he named him Dingo and he never got anyone named Socko. He ended up calling Hellwig “The Dingo Warrior” because it was a play on Kerry being “The Modern Day Warrior” and also, “The Halstead Street Warrior, which was a nickname he gave to One Man Gang when OMG was feuding with the Von Erichs. The backstory he gave to OMG was that he and OMG used to be in a gang together back on Halstead Street in Chicago and he (Hart) was nicknamed “Slick” and OMG was nicknamed “Moon” (like he’s as big as the moon) and that’s also why OMG used CCR’s “Bad Moon Rising” as entrance music.

That's awesome.  Thanks!  I always wondered why Gang had "MOON" on the side of his tights.

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

That's awesome.  Thanks!  I always wondered why Gang had "MOON" on the side of his tights.

Here's further explanation

Spoiler

After getting any thoughts of a WWF run out of my system, I once again became

completely focused on the Texas scene. Since my plans of creating a monster for Hulk Hogan to

slay had been thwarted, I channeled that energy into creating a monster for the Von Erich boys to

slay. I thought it would be unique to bring a new wrestler into Texas, claim he was from my

neighborhood back in Chicago, and tell stories about how we used to “run together in a street

gang.” At the time, Kerry Von Erich was being billed as “The Modern Day Warrior,” so I

thought it would be cool to have a Warrior vs. Warrior feud. Therefore, I decided to name my

new creation “The Halsted Street Warrior.”

I also really wanted to give the impression that he and I were tight, so I had to come up

with a nickname for him. I’m a big fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival, and one of my favorite

songs is “Bad Moon Rising.” I was listening to that song one day as I was falling asleep. When I

woke up, the tape had looped and was it playing again. That’s when it hit me: His nickname

would be “Moon.”

Knowing it would be important to bring the right guy in for this role, I remembered a

young wrestler I had co-managed - along with Sir Oliver Humperdink when we ran H&H, Ltd. in

North Carolina – named The One Man Gang. I knew he would be a perfect Halsted Street

Warrior, so I immediately recruited him into Texas. At the time, The One Man Gang had long

hair and wore tights, so I had to repackage him and change his persona in order to get the look I

was envisioning. With his blessings, I shaved off the sides of his head, leaving just a Mohawk. I

also got him a denim jacket with “The Halsted Street Warrior” written on the back, wrapped a

bandana around his head, and instructed him to carry a chain to the ring. Even though he was still

going to be billed as The One Man Gang, I explained to him that I wanted to give the impression

that we were longtime friends from our gang days, so “when we talk back and forth on

interviews, you’re Moon and I’m Slick.”

To top it off, I came up with this hair-brained idea that he should get two skulls tattooed

on each side of his head - one with Kevin’s name, and the other with Kerry’s name. Amazingly,

The One Man Gang agreed to do it, which I thought was very brave on his part. We went to a

tattoo artist friend of mine and The One Man Gang patiently sat there for three hours while my

friend drilled those Von Erich names into his head - an hour and a half for each side of his head.

Then, during his interviews, not only would he talk about what he was going to do to the Von

Erich’s, but he would point at the skulls on his head, as well. It was so subtle, but so powerful at

the same time. A guy like Bam Bam Bigelow had his whole head tattooed, and because of that

they were more or less not noticed. However, with just two skulls with Kevin and Kerry’s names

on it, The One Man Gang’s tattoos had a real big impact. I think that of all the gimmicks I ever

developed - that was one of my all-time favorites.

With his theme song, “Bad Moon Rising” by Creedence Clearwater Revival, The One

Man Gang got over big time and was a perfect opponent for Kerry. On May 5, 1985, we took

their feud to Texas Stadium for the 2nd Annual David Von Erich Memorial Parade of Champions.

Over 26,000 people showed up that day to see them wrestle in a match with the stipulation being

that if Kerry beat The One Man Gang, I would have my head shaved for the second time - and

this time it would be for life. The first time I shaved my head it was for ninety days, and I

actually kept it shaved until I left Texas in 1983. I started growing my hair back out in North

Carolina, because if you recall, I was going to lose my hair there with Jimmy Valiant. However,

The Great Kabuki and I broke up before that could happen, so I was happy to lose it in a match

against Kerry. After beating The One Man Gang, Kerry shaved my head in the middle of the

ring, and I’ve kept it shaved ever since.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1