DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 4/27/2018 at 6:55 PM, Victator said:

]

I can tell you from my own perspective growing up people were not fully sure.  Because you would get guys like Piper and you never really know where reality began and ended. Hell go watch the boxing match with Mr.T. I am convinced Piper was trying to blow T up and embarrass him.

I agree with a lot of what Vic says here in the last few pages and in many ways I think it comes down to this: For many reasons, in the past it was easy to believe in the characters and personalities of the wrestlers. You really believed in who they were, which gave people an emotional investment. That's my opinion of the "real" thing. Deep down, from really the first house show I saw I knew it was not a shoot, but I always believed that the characters I saw on TV were real. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 2:33 AM, The Natural said:

What a streak of great entrance music for Shinsuke Nakamura

Here be the Titantron music video. She's Japanese and sporting full sleeves of tats... that's hardcore.

Also, I enjoy Japanese rapping so much more than western. The way their language is structured, it's actually incredibly easy for them to rhyme so actually not rhyming is harder.

LYRICS:

[Verse 1]
I thought this day would come
I have not left. I have remained
This isn't about the politics
I have taken everything you have wanted
You finally understand that questioning is stupid
Because there is not one person in this world who can understand

[Chorus]
Do you understand? It's my strength (x5)
Do you understand? I am the best!

[Verse 2]
Good luck trying to get by me
You're scared. Okay, it'll be all over in one hit
I will break and destroy you, welcome to your nightmare
I will decide your fate
Escape is meaningless, so try to run away
I will always find you
I will hand you over to your God, without fail
Now, I've found you

[Chorus]
Do you understand? It's my strength (x5)
Do you understand? I am the best!

In another era, Nak would have done well with Jimmy Hart as a manager. I told a friend last year, I thought Nakamura would be great as a heel. Using a "Do you know who I am?" Big in Japan gimmick. Then just wrecking guys who refuse to treat him as a big name. He really could use a manager to do the heavy lifting in promos. I think him lowering himself to speak English should be a huge deal. 

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Ace said:

Who would be a good fit for Nak's mouthpiece nowadays?

In terms of modern WWE, probably Paul Heyman. If you could get me a time machine, Bobby Heenan. I would buy Heyman as manipulating Nakamura into becoming a violent heel.

It's hard to imagine someone with the credibility to put with a guy like Nakamura that is a good talker but not someone currently in the ring. They have some road agents like Arn Anderson that could talk (and I always like Adam Pearce as a promo guy but the WWE audience isn't going to know him and I could be remembering through rose colored glasses).

Nakamura would need someone who could be equally threatening. WWF-era Jimmy Hart wouldn't be that guy. Memphis-era Jimmy Hart might.

I'm thinking either Arn or Zelina would be perfect. Arn, because not only is he amazing on the  mic, he remains a physical threat outside the ring. Zelina because she is a heat generator of the highest order, she is absolutely convincing in her role in a way that managers seldom are. With Nak, you have the same exact situation as you have with Andrade "Cien" Almas, they can get the most out of very limited English phrases and stand around and smirk while their manager does the heavy lifting on the mic. You can't go too far wrong with a stable that starts with Almas and Nak managed by Zelina. Even WWE couldn't screw that up. Let's see, who would you add to that pairing? Gran Metalik? He can be quite convincing as a rudo. Maybe one of the new Saudi guys if they make it through the training process? I'm really liking the idea of a non-English speaking stable with some really high-level talents with Zelina to do the talking. We haven't had a really great female manager since the late, great Sherri Martel, and Zelina fits the role perfectly. Hell, bring in Asuka and you've got a stable that poses a legit threat for all the gold. 

I think he also needs underlings. One a wrestling weeaboo, who gushes over everything Nakamura does good or bad and a native Japanese guy who outright hates Nakamura but as long as the checks clear, he listens. In my empty hollow head, I envision Drew Gulak and Kenta in these roles. 

I know its a running gag around here, but Robert Fuller would make a good Nakamura manager. I would take anyone but Paul Heyman who is as shitty as Brock has been this year. Same promo every week with same inflection. He did seem motivated by Joe and Braun. 

On 4/28/2018 at 6:48 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Bobby Roode would be absolutely dead in the water.

I dunno ... the novelty of him prancing about to "Rising Sun" would at least get some early mileage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2