DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

My introduction to George Carlin was as Mr. Conductor #2 on Shining Time Station on PBS. Boy, was I thrown for a loop once I discovered how "dirty" and foul-mouthed he was as a comedian. Funny as hell...

"Foul-mouthed"? The fuck you say.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Log said:

If I’m not mistaken, I think PCO may have trained Owens and Zayn. 

Skimming by, I initially read this as LCO training Owens and Zayn...

...which probably would've lead to Daniel Bryan begging to take the Death Lake Driver at Mania, And Shane wanting to take an avalanche electric chair drop off the Titantron or something...

I remember when PCO had that short run in TNA in like 2003 or 2004 as X. It was insane all the stuff he was doing. 

This video has the insane senton bomb to the floor that he did. Also has some footage of him vs. a young Kevin Steen and El Generico. Looking at this, it's clear where Steen/Owens got his moves from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2018 at 12:47 PM, Cristobal said:

It's apparently just for a week because Coachman is doing something on the Golf Channel.

Please say its getting beaten by a golf club.

Edit: MoeCristyV.1.6, I am facetiously saying I hope Coach gets hit by a golf club because I dislike his commentary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone been watching the old OVW episodes on Youtube? I have skipped around from 99 to 03 to 05 and it is always very good TV. I don't think Cornette gets enough credit for OVW's success. From what i have read, WWE did not provide much money, beyond paying some of the talent. They were a full time territory and drew well for its size. It makes me wonder what OVW could have done with the resources of NXT. I hope I am not jinxing it, but its impressive they have been going twenty years.

I always knew the Spirit Squad was bad. But seeing these guys in OVW and WWE just killed the careers of four potential stars. Dolph is a survivor. gotta give him that. 

On 4/20/2018 at 12:26 PM, OSJ said:

What if it's actually a Saudi Prince? There are a hell of a lot of them.

if the dynamics of various gulf states is any indicator, an actual Saudi Prince would just hire two wrestlers from the Indian subcontinent to do all the work for him

Has anyone been watching the old OVW episodes on Youtube? I have skipped around from 99 to 03 to 05 and it is always very good TV. I don't think Cornette gets enough credit for OVW's success. From what i have read, WWE did not provide much money, beyond paying some of the talent. They were a full time territory and drew well for its size. It makes me wonder what OVW could have done with the resources of NXT. I hope I am not jinxing it, but its impressive they have been going twenty years.

I always knew the Spirit Squad was bad. But seeing these guys in OVW and WWE just killed the careers of four potential stars. Dolph is a survivor. gotta give him that. 

wonder how much of the good OVW wasn't really distributed because of either people dropping out of the scene of circulating footage post-2001, or people whose tastes were much more northeast indies than OVW in those years.

• Like 2

Partly I think it had this stigma of a WWE training house. So people think of it as amateur hour and not a real wrestling promotion. Which I will admit I am guilty of as well.

Also WWE did not want OVW distributed because they were afraid it would poison the well on guys in developmental. Which has happened to a degree with NXT call ups. Where WWE expects people to know the intricacies of every act. 

Matt Morgan was impressive in OVW.  I don't know how you see a guy like that who can talk and give him a stuttering gimmick. Maybe he would not have been the next Austin, but that is all they could think of? You could at least steal a main event with him. You could mention TNA, but WWE had poisoned the well. 

If Matt Morgan had been motivated to get back to WWE, he would have got back just fine. He blew off the Japan gigs WWE set up for him to go Impact.

Matt Morgan got married in 2005, and I believe is still married. I bet he's walking around in much better shape than would be the case if he had a big WWE career. I doubt he has significant regrets.

On a slightly related note, iirc WWE switched the bulk of their wrestlers from Business Class to Coach. For a guy like like Matt Morgan, that would have been horrible. People talk about the Wellness policy, but I think a secondary reason people got lean was because of having to sit in coach a lot.  

14 hours ago, Victator said:

Please say its getting beaten by a golf club.

Eh, Coachman has probably watched golf in the past decade - unlike wrestling, which he seems to have watched nothing of since he left the company.  He'll probably do fine.

2 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Eh, Coachman has probably watched golf in the past decade - unlike wrestling, which he seems to have watched nothing of since he left the company.  He'll probably do fine.

He can't do much worse than his wrestling announcing.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

TIL: Matt Morgan graduated Magna Cum Laude with a degree in public speaking. Huh.

...and he gets stuck with a stuttering gimmick. Further proof WWE is run by emotionally stunted, vindictive children.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

TBH I don't know why Al Snow doesn't hit up Cornette to do commentary for OVW. It's  in Louisville and as long as they're presenting something vaguely resembling episodic Southern 'rasslin, I can't see Cornette wanting a ridiculous paycheque for doing it. There's a market out there for it.

Does Dean Hill still do ring announcing/commentary there?

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Especially impressive when you take into account his stuttering. 

Something tells me he did have a stutter and he used the public speaking program at whatever uni he went to to help overcome it. Once the WWE found out they went Droz on him.

On 22/04/2018 at 7:59 AM, Victator said:

Matt Morgan was impressive in OVW.  I don't know how you see a guy like that who can talk and give him a stuttering gimmick. Maybe he would not have been the next Austin, but that is all they could think of? You could at least steal a main event with him. You could mention TNA, but WWE had poisoned the well. 

I drank the cool aid on Morgan as well, thought he was a complete missed opportunity and pure money back then, but having seen his TNA run afterward quickly came to the conclusion that WWE dodged a bullet by not getting behind him