DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Will the Tigers make a run at Shin-Soo Choo now to play LF for them?

It's possible. They're in a good spot right now - quite a few solid OF on the market, and they always have some money to play with. Then again, they traded Fielder in part because they wanted to lock up Cabrera and Scherzer - signing a guy like Choo or Cruz might not be the best course of action.

On first glance, Fielder's a better hitter than Kinsler (good lord, Kinsler's numbers have died in the last 2 years). The metrics aren't exactly big on Kinsler's defense. Essentially Detroit's potential to get a plus out of the deal involves shuffling Cabrera back to 1st (where he's merely below average, instead of horrible). Cabrera/Fielder are the same offensively.

Cabrera and Fielder are the same offensively?  Say WHAT?!?!?!  Cabrera's last four years, he's had an OPS+ higher than every single season of Fielder's entire career but one - and three of the four were higher than THAT.  3 straight batting titles, a Triple Crown, two OPS+ titles, one year leading in total bases, and so on.  Any of that sound like Fielder to you?  No?  Fielder was a 120 OPS+ last year.  Cabrera was 187 - over 50% better.  That's a RIDICULOUS margin between two players.

That said, Kinsler is not Fielder offensively.  Nobody expects him to be.  If he hits .280 and drives in 70 while not being a complete abomination speed-wise and plays his usual good defense, he'll be exactly as expected. 

The Tigers win this by shuffling pieces and freeing up a ton of money that would have been wasted on a guy that is grossly out-of-shape and declining.

And here's a wake-up call to you Texas fans: Hate to break it to you but Jurickson Profar will never be a star offensively in the majors.  He might get all the way up to .270 but never a star.  He's still really young and has time to improve, I just don't see it happening.  Hope I'm wrong - he was a big favorite when he played here in Spokane and you could pretty much see the talent oozing out of him - but I just don't see it. 

I think I meant to compare Cabrera and Fielder DEFENSIVELY at 1st. My typo

The Cards and Angels have agreed to swap David Freese and Peter Bourjos (there are other players involved too)

Well at least now I won't have his name to constantly butcher no matter how many times I've looked up its pronunciation.

Selig (or any other MLB commish) has never attended an arbitrator's hearing such as this ever. He's not required to do so, and it has never happened before. A-Rod indigence over that is pretty much utter nonsense.

Its all PR, or at least an attempt at it by AROID to get us on his side. . .its effectiveness will vary according to your own perspective. . .

Even that way, Cabrera will be better at 1B than Fielder.  He won't be good but he's at least semi-athletic and not 320 pounds.  Hell, I have 2 bad knees and can't even hardly bend over and *I* would be an upgrade over Fielder.

Even that way, Cabrera will be better at 1B than Fielder.  He won't be good but he's at least semi-athletic and not 320 pounds.  Hell, I have 2 bad knees and can't even hardly bend over and *I* would be an upgrade over Fielder.

Cabrera clocked in at -5/150 in 2010/2011, and his overall is -2.2/150 thanks to a good 2009 at First (Cabrera was -4/150 in 2008)

Fielder, on the other hand, has a -5, 0, and -4 in his last 3 years at first.

I don't know how much the injuries effected Cabrera's metrics at 3rd (where he dropped from -11 to -20 from 2012 to 2013). But I suspect a healthy Cabrera and a healthy Fielder probably post the same -5 at first in 2014

Braves have hired John Hart - Senior Advisor of Baseball Operations

God - I really pray that doesn't mean MLB Network hires Bowden away from ESPN

Nah. Hart's been in a nearly identical position with Texas for years. He's going to stay on at MLBN. Potential conflict of interest will be interesting.

Piranesi needs to tell us how they excommunicate players from the Guardians.

It's more like purgatory.  You know that the glory of the Guardians is out there.  And you know that you no longer have access to it.

The only way back is a slow penance of one hundred thousand "It was always my favorite place to play"s and "Most knowledgable fans out there...."s within hearing distance of an MLB network mic.  Then at some point you'll be invited to Shannon's steak house to wash Bob Gibson's feet with your hair.

But it takes years.  You have to pace yourself. 

That much sincerity can kill a man.

from the Hot Stove:

The RangersMariners and especially his old Royals could become real threats to keep star free-agent outfielder Carlos Beltran from returning east to the Yankees or Red Sox, according to people familiar with his talks.

Kansas City is believed serious in its intention to bring him back. "They are in on him for sure," said one person familiar with the discussions.

Beltran is said by a source to have requested a four-year deal, though it's believed he'd probably take the right three-year deal, if offered. The Royals went four years on mid-rotation pitcher Jason Vargas, who had an ailment last year, so it seems conceivable they'd go more than two for Beltran, their former star.

The Royals are said to hold an allure for Beltran who came up with them. But as free agency goes, the terms are always important, and there's no evidence to this point the Yankees or Red Sox have signaled a willingness to go past two years.

Translation: "If these other teams don't step it up, Carlos will just sign with the Royals, serious, no kidding, give this man his money and his years or he'll sign with the Royals and you'll lose a bidding war to the Royals, call, e-mail, text, lets' make a deal big teams"

Would that mean Adams is set to start at 3rd for them this year, or are they going to be looking for another guy?

Also I get the need to compliment the Cards, because they deserve it, but I fail to see how going from Beltran to Bourjos in the OF is an "upgrade", assuming Jay is still in the regular lineup. If Tavares is expected to step into Beltrans spot, then it's a little better, but it's still wait and see.

Craig will be playing in RF with Adams at 1B, Adams with a full season of playing time could easily hit in the 30HR/100RBI range, so that would basically equal what Beltran gave you.  Matt Carpenter will be going to 3B, with Kolten Wong likely to start at 2B.  Wong didn't hit that great after getting called up but I think that won't hold up, he's hit everywhere he's been prior to this so I think he'll be fine there.  Anyone that's not Pete Kozma is an improvement at SS.

Craig will be playing in RF with Adams at 1B, Adams with a full season of playing time could easily hit in the 30HR/100RBI range, so that would basically equal what Beltran gave you. 

I think they need one more decent power threat to bat behind Adams or he isn't going to see a fastball but once or twice a week and could end up being twisted up into a big fat pretzel all year.

Craig will be playing in RF with Adams at 1B, Adams with a full season of playing time could easily hit in the 30HR/100RBI range, so that would basically equal what Beltran gave you. 

I think they need one more decent power threat to bat behind Adams or he isn't going to see a fastball but once or twice a week and could end up being twisted up into a big fat pretzel all year.

Once Oscar Taveras is ready to play in the majors then you have Craig able to relieve Adams at 1B a few times a week.