DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Ruben Tejada Could File Grievance Against Mets
By Charlie Wilmoth [November 17 at 10:06pm CST]

Infielder Ruben Tejada could file a grievance against the Mets over a disagreement about his service time, Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan reports. Tejada is represented by the Legacy Agency.

The issue stems from a late promotion from Triple-A Las Vegas in September. Las Vegas was eliminated from the Pacific Coast League playoffs on September 7. The Mets waited to promote Tejada until September 10, and that left him with two years and 171 days of playing time. The Mets had promoted several players the previous day.

Another day of service time would have given Tejada three full years, thus potentially making him eligible for free agency after the 2016 season. As it stands, the earliest he can be eligible for free agency is after the 2017 season. He will, however, be arbitration-eligible this offseason as a Super Two player.

It is not uncommon for teams to time promotions based on service time considerations. Passan suggests, however, that they are not typically quite as obvious about it as the Mets were in Tejada's case.

If Tejada were to receive the extra day of service time, Passan writes, Charlie Furbush of the Mariners would become eligible for arbitration as a Super Two player. Super Two status is determined by a percentage of players with less than three years of service time, and Furbush would take Tejada's place among that group of players in such a scenario.

Tejada hit .202/.259/.260 in 227 plate appearances for the Mets last season. He currently appears to be in line to start at shortstop in 2014, although the Mets could pursue other shortstops in the offseason.

I understand Tejada's gripe there, but I don't understand what he (or his agent) thinks is grounds for a grievance, here. The service time rules are what they are, and the Mets called him up accordingly.

They called up a bunch of players the day before they called him up. With one more day of service time, he would have gotten to free agency a year earlier. Not sure what's so hard to grasp here. They tried to game the system and got caught - happens more than you might believe, actually.

I understand Tejada's gripe there, but I don't understand what he (or his agent) thinks is grounds for a grievance, here. The service time rules are what they are, and the Mets called him up accordingly.

They called up a bunch of players the day before they called him up. With one more day of service time, he would have gotten to free agency a year earlier. Not sure what's so hard to grasp here. They tried to game the system and got caught - happens more than you might believe, actually.

Well yes, duh, of course they tried to game the system. What's hard to grasp is why teams calling up players with an eye towards postponing a player's free agency is A) news and B) somehow grounds for the player objecting. Why would a team be obligated to bring a player up ASAP?

Most teams do it (SEE: Myers, Wil). They're usually not that blatant about it. If the Mets called up everyone on the same date as Tejada, there probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

This is mainly "news" because the Mets are a circus. 

Ruiz gets 3/$26 from the Phillies, with a club option for a fourth and a partial NTC. I can't stop laughing.

Ruben Amaro is the best

Ruben "Run it back" Amaro strikes again. I hope he goes completely off the deep end and puts out feelers for Jim Thome and Scott Rolen while he's at it.

Apparently the Giants are signing Tim Hudson - 2 years, $23 million

Welcome sorta-back home, Timmy.

Still doesn't do a damn thing about improving the moribund offense, of course, but there are far worse ways to spend 20 million than on Tim Hudson.  No complaints from me.

Wonder if this means Bruce Bochy will give up his #15 to a player again.  Hope it works out better than the last time.

If Hudson is able to be healthy, he's a bargain at 11.5 per.  That's a better deal than the ridiculous one to Lincecum.  At least Hudson hasn't sucked anytime recently.

If Hudson is able to be healthy, he's a bargain at 11.5 per.  That's a better deal than the ridiculous one to Lincecum.  At least Hudson hasn't sucked anytime recently.

Aside from the TJ a few years back, Hudson's injuries of late haven't been to the arm - the ankle thing, and a herniated disc in his back. He also dealt with a strained oblique a decade ago, and he's not the kind of guy whose arm might just snap under the stress - not a hard thrower at all.

Just once in his career though, I'd like to see Hudson have four elite infield defenders behind him...with the way he gets ground balls, magic could happen.

LaTroy Hawkins signs with the Rockies for 1/2.5, or 2/4.5 with an option. Take note teams: if you want to sign free agent relievers, that's the way to do it.

Samardzija will more than likely be the first Cub to go this offseason. To where is a bigger mystery.

I'll say this much, Shark is going to fool plenty of people into having the stuff of a TOR pitcher, but his mentality and consistency put him at a #3 or #4 pitcher.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens if Robinson Cano sticks to his current demands and the Yanks tell him "Good luck in your future endeavors"

I'm curious how close he could get to his 10 year, $300 million demands from a team desperate for a FA

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens if Robinson Cano sticks to his current demands and the Yanks tell him "Good luck in your future endeavors"

I'm curious how close he could get to his 10 year, $300 million demands from a team desperate for a FA

It seems like teams are getting smarter about giving those kinds of contracts, but it only takes one dumbass to raise the bar. . .