DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I get that, but so many scream that the drug testing policy means nothing if they're just going after minor leaguers and no one else of importance. Here they have a huge name to nail to the wall. Regardless of how you feel about Bud, this at least shows they're being serious regarding punishing players for using PEDs.

Every era has its issues. Live ball, dead ball, No blacks allowed, pitching mound alterations. Nobody complains about Hack Wilson's 191 RBI season. I couldn't care less if A-Rod juiced up and hit home runs off pitchers who by the way were also juiced up..

In my view..  these records were never sacred.

I just think the way baseball did the suspensions was sleazy as all hell, heavy handed and seemingly random.  They had evidence, and rather than bring the hammer down(like Stern or Goodell would have), Selig, like the used car dealer he is, chose to haggle. Well, dither and such in the public light, and to me at least it came off looking like blackmail. But I agree fuck both of them, just hope Aroid takes out Selig on his way down. . .

it wouldn't surprise me if the quickest way for Detroit to go from "give Prince 200M? Sure!" to "Trade him" within 2 years involved some bridge burning. More than just having 11 bad games in the postseason.

On first glance, Fielder's a better hitter than Kinsler (good lord, Kinsler's numbers have died in the last 2 years). The metrics aren't exactly big on Kinsler's defense. Essentially Detroit's potential to get a plus out of the deal involves shuffling Cabrera back to 1st (where he's merely below average, instead of horrible). Cabrera/Fielder are the same offensively. Presumably the next 3rd baseman will be a living being, and thus will top -15/150 at 3rd. So, on the short term, I don't think the Tigers got better for 2014 through the deal.

On the long term. Well, how much does the long term really mean? They'll have more money to re-sign Scherzer in a few years (not an extension, a re-signing, Boras guy). But they put themselves in this spot when they gave Prince that stupid deal, and fortunately they got out of it before some Pujols/Howard years occurred.

The fact that Selig is playing the Holier Than Thou card by deciding he doesn't need to attend the most important negotiations of PEDs in the history of the sport isn't making him look innocent, just like A-Rod's over the top reaction to all this shit is making him look guilty.

You don't worry about Cabrera's glove at 3B. Fielder's offense did not work out the way people hoped in Detroit, and left-handed power hitters tend to rake at Arlington. It was a great matchup. So Cabrera to 1B, Castellanos to 3B (Or, even better, re-sign Peralta, put him at 3B, and let Castellanos play LF, thus shoring up all your non-C needs) and give Scherzer a bit more than Matt Cain money, and all will be well. Hell, sign a good pitch-framer at catcher and even if he hits .200/.280/.350, him being able to handle that pitching staff will be a major plus.

For Texas, you get to keep Profar and can also bet on Andrus having a stretch that will have him opting out of this contract after Year 3. You get to have Fielder DH on certain days, you can have Moreland around as well with him improving, and you're paying him only $138M over 7 years. He basically has to be a 3-win player each year for the contract to matter, and you improve at two spots with the trade while using some of the money you had to play with. Texas looks like "losers" because you take on Prince's contract, but you get to give Profar everyday at bats and you have a backup plan in Moreland for the fielding portion if need be. It's a calculated risk by Texas to put Fielder in a better hitting environment with another guy who can play 1B if you see him as a long-term DH. 

I'm totally amped about this trade because it's a challenge trade to get both guys going in new environments and both teams get to improve due to excess of talent at positions that can now be used accordingly. It's not about who "wins" because we look at it in a vacuum. Both teams improved.

Man, replace the trees with insanely overpriced brownstones and that almost looks like Wrigleyville.

And if you ever want to be a part of a traffic and parking nightmare, just go to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field some time. Those of us on here who have been there can back me up on that I'm sure.

Man, replace the trees with insanely overpriced brownstones and that almost looks like Wrigleyville.

And if you ever want to be a part of a traffic and parking nightmare, just go to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field some time. Those of us on here who have been there can back me up on that I'm sure.

Who DRIVES to Cubs games? That's what the L is for.

That and making Wrigley smell good by comparison.

Who DRIVES to Cubs games? That's what the L is for.

That and making Wrigley smell good by comparison.

I used to. Then I learned you can drink beer on the South Shore train, so that's a fun way to go.

On first glance, Fielder's a better hitter than Kinsler (good lord, Kinsler's numbers have died in the last 2 years). The metrics aren't exactly big on Kinsler's defense. Essentially Detroit's potential to get a plus out of the deal involves shuffling Cabrera back to 1st (where he's merely below average, instead of horrible). Cabrera/Fielder are the same offensively.

Cabrera and Fielder are the same offensively?  Say WHAT?!?!?!  Cabrera's last four years, he's had an OPS+ higher than every single season of Fielder's entire career but one - and three of the four were higher than THAT.  3 straight batting titles, a Triple Crown, two OPS+ titles, one year leading in total bases, and so on.  Any of that sound like Fielder to you?  No?  Fielder was a 120 OPS+ last year.  Cabrera was 187 - over 50% better.  That's a RIDICULOUS margin between two players.

That said, Kinsler is not Fielder offensively.  Nobody expects him to be.  If he hits .280 and drives in 70 while not being a complete abomination speed-wise and plays his usual good defense, he'll be exactly as expected. 

The Tigers win this by shuffling pieces and freeing up a ton of money that would have been wasted on a guy that is grossly out-of-shape and declining.

And here's a wake-up call to you Texas fans: Hate to break it to you but Jurickson Profar will never be a star offensively in the majors.  He might get all the way up to .270 but never a star.  He's still really young and has time to improve, I just don't see it happening.  Hope I'm wrong - he was a big favorite when he played here in Spokane and you could pretty much see the talent oozing out of him - but I just don't see it. 

That said, Kinsler is not Fielder offensively.  Nobody expects him to be.  If he hits .280 and drives in 70 while not being a complete abomination speed-wise and plays his usual good defense, he'll be exactly as expected.

Kinsler has been below average in fielding by UZR at 2B five of the eight years of his career. He's not a BAD defender, or anything, but Kinsler's value has always been that he's a good hitter and not a liability at 2B. Given his age and his move out of a hitters park, decline seems likely. As you said, though, Detroit's win is saving a ton of money.