DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Since baseball is about 10 games from ending, it's always nice to get a head start on worrying about next season:  

Who gets to win the Giancarlo Stanton sweepstakes?  

Or will the Yankees finally realize it's time to rebuild?  

Or what ridiculously stupid contracts will be signed by a team desperate to be competitive again? (Philadelphia, I'm looking in your direction)

Also, speaking of monumentally stupid, here's a fun bit of news, Marlins President David Samson will spend his offseason prepping to play Lorne Michaels in a play based on a season where he let everyone except Chris Kattan go.  Oh, irony.  You can be so ironic.  http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/cultist/2013/09/david_samson_you_ignorant_slut.php

Grr.   Happy duck. 

Posted Image

Pitchers and catchers report February 16th.

And the Mariners have announced that Jack Z will be back next year. I eagerly await him trading Tai Walker, James Paxton, Stephen Pryor, Nick Franklin and Kyle Seager for an injury prone home run hitter.

What's funny is that I was trying to figure out the Yanks lineup for next year and I kept putting A-Rod in it so when Ed reminded me that is going to be suspended I felt like doing the Snoopy dance

Theo isn't spending that much money, or handing out a contract that long, to Cano. They'll just look elsewhere and they may not even have to if Javy Baez turns out to be the real deal. 

That said, Joe Girardi, come on down! You're the next (hopefully) manager of the Chicago Cubs. Something that should have happened when Lou was brought on as manager.

There's a big difference between "seeking" and "throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks". I think that Cano rumor is firmly in the latter camp. Him and his agent probably know no team will pay that much...but what if one batshit insane GM offers him something like $220 off of that?

It's like going into a meeting at work looking for a raise. You're going to throw down an initial request way higher than what you actually want just in the hope your boss shrugs and rubber stamps it.

I'm not sure what the Twins plan on doing next season, but the solid money is on them continuing to be horrible and most of the fan base complaining about Joe Mauer despite the fact that he's the best baseball player to put on a Twins' uniform since Kirby Puckett retired.

I'm not sure what the Twins plan on doing next season, but the solid money is on them continuing to be horrible and most of the fan base complaining about Joe Mauer despite the fact that he's the best baseball player to put on a Twins' uniform since Kirby Puckett retired.

Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton could be in the majors as soon as the middle of next year. Buxton was the minor league player of the year this year, and is absurdly good. Sano has power like you wouldn't believe.

Be more concerned about that shitshow of a pitching staff and the bullshit pitch to contact philosophy being preached.

Hey, shouldn't we be taking bets on what shitty, half-hearted trade package is going to land a team Giancarlo Stanton? I think the best half-hearted package the Cubs could offer up is Darwin Barney, Junior Lake, and Mike Vogelbach for Stanton.

Giants agree with Hunter Pence on a 5 year, $90 million extension.

Not the worst thing in the world, since the money for that (18 per) is freed up by Zito's (19 per) imminent departure.  So this doesn't even necessarily mean "good bye, Timmy" although that's still a very real (and perhaps even likely) possibility.