DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Lovullo was denied permission to interview by the Sox.

Who knows about another opportunity, but the Sox aren't going to do Theo any favors. . .

Dick move, and not just because it involves the Cubs, but presumably Lucchino is cock blocking Lovullo from moving up to a better position all because he's still pissed at Theo. They do have a contract in place that states that Theo cannot whisk away any Red Sox personnel for three years, but Lovullo wasn't even around at that time. 

This is as good of a place as any for this

Houston voters rejected a referendum that would have authorized over $200 million to convert the Astrodome into a convention center.

So basically it is 99% certain that the Astrodome will be demolished

Mariners are going with Lloyd McClendon as manager

I hope Mariners fans give him a chance. He had a disastrous run here in Pittsburgh but he was cursed with one of the dumbest owners and GMs in baseball history.

I warn people now, though, prepare to see the clip of him dislodging first base and walking off the field with it after being ejected at some point during every single series the Mariners play. 

This is as good of a place as any for this

Houston voters rejected a referendum that would have authorized over $200 million to convert the Astrodome into a convention center.

So basically it is 99% certain that the Astrodome will be demolished

But...The Bad News Bears still have a title to defend!!!

I hope Mariners fans give him a chance. He had a disastrous run here in Pittsburgh but he was cursed with one of the dumbest owners and GMs in baseball history.

I warn people now, though, prepare to see the clip of him dislodging first base and walking off the field with it after being ejected at some point during every single series the Mariners play. 

McClendon hated Tony La Russa - he will always be aces in my book

Cubs are naming their new manager on Thursday, which is another tip of the hat to them really wanting Lovullo because now that Lucchino took his ball and went home, they're suddenly all set to make a decision.

Ugh, pass. I would rather have Dave Martinez or Mike Maddux. Renteria makes sense because he has the connection to Jed Hoyer over with the Padres.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand in other news, the Cubs have opted out of their WGN contract. Unless something changes, it's looking like this upcoming season is the end of an era.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand in other news, the Cubs have opted out of their WGN contract. Unless something changes, it's looking like this upcoming season is the end of an era.

Huge news, but not entirely unexpected. The team was only getting $20M from WGN (along with around $40M from CSN), and if they didn't opt out, they'd be locked in at that rate until 2022. With the way cable rights are going through the roof, might as well try to cash in now.

I think that's what's going to end up happening. It's really either WGN or everything goes to Comcast, because a Fox/TWC isn't coming into town and setting up a brand new RSN for 70 games. And I'm down on everything going to Comcast because that would create even *more* conflicts than they already have with the Sox, Bulls, and Hawks

Please.  Mariners fans still worship Lou Piniella.  They're perfectly OK with clips of their managers throwing stuff or whatever.

Shit.  I always looked forward to televised games at Wrigley as a chance to watch a baseball game without hearing:

Every BODY CLAP YOUR HANDSS!!!

Why do you hate fun?

Sun Times says new Cubs manager is ...Edgar "i dont practice" Renteria

It's actually Rick Renteria. Edgar is too busy living off his money and fame in Colombia like a god.

My bad. I have no idea who rick renteria is.

Congratulations! You aren't alone!

In all honesty, he's the...bench coach?...for the Padres, someone Jed Hoyer was familiar with during his time in San Diego. I'm trying to look at this from the angle of, "well, at least it wasn't Manny Acta or AJ Hinch."

As for the Cubs tv contract thing, it's either WGN, or a Cubs network, which would probably entail Tommy Boy convincing his racist as shit dad to buy WGN. I think there's a better shot at the Cubs moving away from Wrigley Field.