DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Nothing new here. They also interviewed Mike Maddux or requested to interview him a week or two ago after Gammons originally said that Cubs brass had no interest in Mike Maddux.

It's still going to be Maddux, Martinez, or the new hotness of dark horse choices, Tony Pena.

Oh yeah...In Wrigley Field renovation news, the dickholes across the street who get to profit off the Cubs with their shitty rooftop seats are now suing the Cubs for their plans to build a hotel on the space of the McDonalds across the street (if anyone is familiar). Said dickholes are citing an increase in noise and other bullshit that exists already.

You know what? Fuck Wrigleyville and Ald. Tom Tunney and Beth Murphy and the other rooftop owners. This will sound crazy, but I hope Tom Ricketts pulls Wrigleyville's punk card, goes with the nuclear option, just moves the fucking team 10 minutes away, and then watches as Wrigleyville shops shutter and home values in that area plummet. Fuckers are biting the hand that feeds them. If they don't go with the nuclear option, then I doubt renovations ever happen until 2017 at the earliest. Mind you, said dickholes are doing this despite Rahm Emmanuel telling those who oppose Tom Ricketts to stop being dickholes.

Nothing new here. They also interviewed Mike Maddux or requested to interview him a week or two ago after Gammons originally said that Cubs brass had no interest in Mike Maddux.It's still going to be Maddux, Martinez, or the new hotness of dark horse choices, Tony Pena.

Oh man, I hope Tony Pena gets the Cubs job. He was the guy I wanted to manage the Pirates before they hired Clint Hurdle but everybody said he was miserable in KC and doesn't really have the temperament to be a manager. It's kinda funny how his name gets bandied about almost every season due to that one lone year where he got KC above .500 forgetting in the other two where they lost 100 games or were on track to. I guess I'd like to see it just to finally figure out if he's good manager or not.

This version is better:

Watching -- or more accurately, listening -- to this reminds me of this daydream I have where I'm watching the world series, and everything is going as normal, Buck and McCarver being their usual selves, when suddenly the picture shorts out and the screen goes black, yet somehow we can still hear a rustling noise, two dull thuds, and the distinct *ping* of a metal pipe falling to the floor.

And when the picture is restored Vin Scully, microphone in hand, is in the broadcast booth where Buck and McCarver -- now no longer anywhere in sight or earshot -- once were.

And the broadcast continues as normal, except way better.

This version is better:

Watching -- or more accurately, listening -- to this reminds me of this daydream I have where I'm watching the world series, and everything is going as normal, Buck and McCarver being their usual selves, when suddenly the picture shorts out and the screen goes black, yet somehow we can still hear a rustling noise, two dull thuds, and the distinct *ping* of a metal pipe falling to the floor.

And when the picture is restored Vin Scully, microphone in hand, is in the broadcast booth where Buck and McCarver -- now no longer anywhere in sight or earshot -- once were.

And the broadcast continues as normal, except way better.

Chicken and egg question, is Buck so horrible because he has awful color guys in McCarver and Aikman? Or is his level of suck so high that he drags guys who might be have decent down to his level? Or perhaps FOX managed to combine two individuals who are both the drizziling shits?

Chicken and egg question, is Buck so horrible because he has awful color guys in McCarver and Aikman? Or is his level of suck so high that he drags guys who might be have decent down to his level? Or perhaps FOX managed to combine two individuals who are both the drizziling shits?

I don't even really think Joe Buck is that bad, per se.  Especially since being the national broadcaster for two major sports means he's constantly at or traveling to events and so he really can't retain researched knowledge/notes on particular teams/players because he has to know so many, and "forget" it in time to learn a new set of trivia for the next game.  Of course he's going to get stuff wrong about player X that Player X's official radio guy would never mess up, because the team radio guy only has to worry about Team X and Team X's opponent that week.

He just has this aura of smug jackass about him, and even that's a little harsher than I want to be, but the detachment he kinda needs to have to be the national guy makes it more easy to sound like he doesn't really care and it's not special for him, or something.  And of course nobody could ever be as truly "objective" (meaning neutral) as you'd want The National Broadcast Guy to be, not that any human being could be unless they truly did not give a shit (and you wouldn't want that, either).

The "THAT IS A DISGUSTING ACT" incident doesn't help matters.

tl;dr  he's not bad, I'm just sick and tired of him. 

Okay, so they announced the Gold Glove winners, and there were a lot of first-timers:

AL                                                                 NL

C:   Salvador Perez                                       C:   Yadier Molina

1B: Eric Hosmer                                            1B:  Paul Goldschmidt

2B: Dustin Pedroia                                        2B: Brandon Phillips

SS: J.J. Hardy                                                SS: Andrelton Simmons  

3B: Manny Machado                                     3B:  Nolan Arenado

OF: Alex Gordon                                           OF: Carlos Gonzalez

OF: Adam Jones                                           OF: Carlos Gomez

OF: Shane Victorino                                     OF: Gerardo Parra

P:   R.A. Dickey                                              P:  Adam Wainwright

Looks legit to me, for once. Anybody see any glaring omissions?

Okay, so they announced the Gold Glove winners, and there were a lot of first-timers:

AL                                                                 NL

C:   Salvador Perez                                       C:   Yadier Molina

1B: Eric Hosmer                                            1B:  Paul Goldschmidt

2B: Dustin Pedroia                                        2B: Brandon Phillips

SS: J.J. Hardy                                                SS: Andrelton Simmons  

3B: Manny Machado                                     3B:  Nolan Arenado

OF: Alex Gordon                                           OF: Carlos Gonzalez

OF: Adam Jones                                           OF: Carlos Gomez

OF: Shane Victorino                                     OF: Gerardo Parra

P:   R.A. Dickey                                              P:  Adam Wainwright

Looks legit to me, for once. Anybody see any glaring omissions?

Salty at C? :)

piranesi, it's too dangerous to go it alone, take these...

Posted Image

This might be the best .gif you have ever posted on here, and you wasted it on the fucking Cardinals?

God, I hope they trade Jose Fernandez for 3 complete busts now.