DVDVR Message Board

Raw - The Bank's Closed - 1/29/2018

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

That is more on the person who is supposed to be catching her.  As for Sasha, if your partner is not going to protect you then don't do the move.  That goes for the other tope gif when she jumps over her partner.  She should know by now what moves to do with what partners.

Doesn't stop people diving on Marty Scurll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

It's possible they're being influenced by the fact that Finn kind of sucks.

He does suck, but this is the same company that emphasizes getting over and having solid ringwork. Finn, by definition, is consistently over with the crowd in spite of every bullshit feud he has been in this year and very shitty booking. I'd take Finn over Roman, by a hair. I agree that his offense is lacking and I've always said so. I just don't know why Finn gets this schizo booking when he is doing everything that is asked of him from selling merch to having consistently good to solid matches. He is getting Rey Mysterio treatment except he is nowhere as good as Rey was.

• Like 1

The saddest part about the Bryan thing is that all of his offense was convincing and he didn't have to keep up the dumb shit that got him hurt. Finn could look like he belongs with bigger guys without crippling himself, it's just that nearly everything he does looks bad (at least to me.) Although, as has been pointed out, he's way over so it's not like he has to change anything. 

It's that weird Foley thing where guys rebel against the idea of taking it easy.

Like people who say Nak sucks now because he's not working NJPW style. Dude probably likes the fact that he's getting paid high six figures and can work decent style while crowds sing his entrance theme mid match. 

• Like 1

The other funny thing about that is Nakamura was never the most consistent worker in New Japan. His highs were exceptional—and most fans only saw those—but he could mail it in with the best (worst?) of them. WWE just asks for way more than the 15-20 focused efforts a year New Japan requires. Of course the other other funny thing—and maybe I should just say impressive—is that despite that, Nakamura presumably got a raise, and now stands a better chance of winning the WWE title than he had of ever regaining the IWGP belt. And, should he ever want to return, he’d be a bigger deal for his WWE tenure and for having avoided the sort of visible slide down the pecking order Tanahashi has endured. (Nak was presumably one big show away from putting over Omega before he left, and then he’d have been—along with Tana—a prominent stop on Naito’s revenge tour.)

Whatever the fandom consensus might be, he’s made out really well.

Absolutely loved Asuka/Sasha. The dive was insane and then the followup GTS-like knee I thought was going to bust Sasha open. Excellent sequences, great counters into the finish. Asuka/Alexa was my favorite match this year so far and I think this was right on that level. Really liked Cena/Balor as well, very good main event with a big time feel. Reminded me of the very first Cena/Punk match in 09 complete with the Super AA finish. Figured Finn was going over but I'm glad Cena is staying in the mix. Miz/Reigns also great again.

I never had a problem with how they got the belt off Goldberg. If losing a match to a former world champion that had 5" and 35 lbs on him, after interference from three other wrestlers, the last of whom electricuted him with a caddle prod isn't enough to protect him, what the fuck is?

The problem was they never put the belt back on him.

13 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

WWE Fan Council sent out another questionnaire today. 98% of the questions were about this episode of Raw specifically. I made sure to mention Coach was terrible and we needed Booker back.

Yeah, last night actually made me miss Booker.  Ugh.  I think Booker is terrible too - probably worse than Coachman - but if we're going to be subjected to terrible commentary, it can at least be amusingly terrible commentary.

I laughed last week when Booker said something along the lines of "I was a lone wolf my whole career" (not his exact words), and Cole incredulously pointed out that Booker was in a tag team most of his career and had a stable in the WWE.

Did Sasha catch the ropes on that dive?  It looked like she did, but I haven't gone back to watch it more closely.  If she didn't, um.... did anyone expect that spot to work out well?  Even if she dives through the ropes cleanly, spot would still have ended with Asuka kicking Sasha's face off.

I'm digging Asuka on the mail roster (no surprise, Kana was one of my favorite active wrestlers when she signed).  I'm going to be pissed if they relegate her to a meaningless feud and a bad match with Alexa at WM.  Run Charlotte-Asuka or put the belt on Sasha before WM.

Edit: Apollo Crews is probably sad that everyone is concerned Sasha could have mangled herself last night - and completely ok with him getting dropped on his head.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I haven't watched Raw for months, but Coach was just insufferably bad. I have no idea why they insist on three people in commentary as the default setting. Corey Graves also must have the patience of a saint, since the day after he had to deal with Jerry Lawler confusing him with Byron Saxton, he got to deal with Coach for what felt like two weeks.

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Glad to see the Asuka Lock back. Crossface Chickenwing is one of my favourite submissions since Bob Backlund in '94.

The Asuka Lock isn't really a crossface chickenwing, since there's no crossface involved (and usually no chickenwing, either). Asuka overhooks one arm and does a one-armed sleeper with the other:

Asuka-Santana-Garrett.jpg

Whereas Backlund would usually pull the arm behind the back, and wrench the face in the opposite direction:

chickenwing.jpg

I agree that the crossface chickenwing is cool, but the Asuka Lock is one of my least favorite finishers.

Finn has won his biggest matches to date in his demon paint. The ''mortal'' leather jacket version Balor, thinking within WWE's bi-polar logic can take falls to Cena & Bray without being harmed.

That being said the argument can be been made that he was the ironman in the Rumble the night prior and wasn't 100% but took Cena to his limit but came up short. I don't see how he was buried at all. Elevated? No. Lost momentum? Debatable but salvageable, he lost against John Cena, not Heath Slater. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

As for Sasha, if your partner is not going to protect you then don't do the move.  That goes for the other tope gif when she jumps over her partner.  She should know by now what moves to do with what partners.

So Charlotte receives a pass? She has to do better.

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

I haven't watched Raw for months, but Coach was just insufferably bad. I have no idea why they insist on three people in commentary as the default setting. Corey Graves also must have the patience of a saint, since the day after he had to deal with Jerry Lawler confusing him with Byron Saxton, he got to deal with Coach for what felt like two weeks.

Coach made Raw almost unwatchable for me. I wasn't a big fan of Booker T's commentary, but Booker is Gordon Solie compared to Coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So Charlotte receives a pass? She has to do better.

They all need to do better.  I don't see the problem as the girl doing the move so much as the girl on the receiving end who is supposed to be protecting her partner while she sells the move.  If your partner is not going to protect you then don't do the move.  It goes both ways.  By now they should know who they can do high risk moves with and who they cannot.  It is not like they are working together for the first time in an indy where they don't know each other.

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I don't see any issue with a cattle prod. Piper outsmarted The Mountie to win his only singles hold in the WWF with his shockproof shirt. 

Not to be a nerd, but Piper used the "shockproof" shirt gimmick in the SNME rematch.  He beat him clean and relatively easily at the Rumble.

• Thanks 1