DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

That's always seemed like a mistake to me. It takes away the possibility of a no-DQ triple threat (or four-way, etc.) being its own special stipulation. And there's no reason you couldn't have disqualification cause elimination from a three-or-more-man match. In fact, that would open up the booking possibilities even more. The fact that they make them all no-DQ by default suggests laziness and lack of imagination.

Then again, I don't like those kinds of matches very much anyway.

3 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

That's always seemed like a mistake to me. It takes away the possibility of a no-DQ triple threat (or four-way, etc.) being its own special stipulation.

It's the reverse in WWE. The "special stipulation" for multi-man matches are if the rules call for it to be an elimination match.

Paige was hurt at last night's house show (per new WON)

This happened right at press time but Paige was injured at the Nassau Coliseum on 12/27 in a trios match with Absolution vs. Bayley & Banks & James. It appeared to be a rib injury or a head injury from a missed dropkick, although another source said it was a hard kick to the back from Banks that she wasn’t ready for and it stunned her. The match was immediately stopped. They got a stretcher for her but she left the ring under her own power and walked to the back with a little bit of help. The early belief was it was just a mild stinger and she was at the hotel bar feeling better after the show. No word if she’ll have to miss any shows

5 hours ago, alstein said:

Well, if first pinfall or sub wins, who gets the win in a DQ?

That's the question they avoided addressing for years. But HumanChessGame is right that it's only quite recently they started explicitly saying that multiman matches were inherently no-DQ.

I do remember Owen Hart retaining the Intercontinental title once by getting counted out in a triple-threat match. They didn't bother to announce a winner, they just announced Owen as the loser but still champion.

If they had DQs/countouts enforced in multiman matches they that should mean the person DQed/counted out would just be eliminated.  To me that's how it should have been from the start, and only when needed they could go without DQ/countout.

• Like 2

Because when you pin someone and they use the rope to break the count there's no disqualifying action there. The rules state that if a person grabs the rope the pin count must stop. If a person is in a submission and they get a rope break if the person does not let go of the submission they will be disqualified.

• Like 2

A pin isn't legal if the opponent is in the ropes. There are no rules in a no DQ match so it can't be illegal. You can't actually get DQ'd for it because the referee is in control of counting the pin, although I guess he could give you a five count if you stayed there hooking the leg bellowing that the other wrestler's foot is not in fact in the rope. This would kind of suck as a finish imo

I assume the main reasons there aren't DQs or countouts in triple threat matches are a) it would be unclear who to DQ for a run-in attack and b) somebody getting eliminated early for DQ from a match that was meant to be for one fall would not be a compelling outcome to a predetermined contest with an intent to be entertaining

Also WWE's well established multi-man format requires a) plunder and b) at least one person asleep on the outside for a 300 count at all times

Being in, on or under the ropes is technically being outside the ring, or outside the designated area of competition, which is why you can't pin someone if they have their foot on the ropes for instance. It's the same reason a no DQ match doesn't automatically become a falls count anywhere match. The fall still has to occur within the ring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

On Twitter this morning, Meltzer said she was ok, so it doesn't sound like she'll miss time.

Yeah - they have pulled her from the rest of the shows and she is getting x-rays today as a precaution but apparently WWE officials don't think it is serious

Per Meltzer both in the new WON and the radio this morning - it appears Styles vs Cena at Mania is off

Although there are rumors about Styles vs. Cena at Mania, I’m told that right now that is incorrect, and Cena is in a much bigger match than Styles. The only thing I was told is it will be clear within a few weeks what that match is. Bigger than a WWE title match seems to limit it to a non-regular or surprise guy and the only names I can come up with would be Undertaker, Batista, Goldberg or Hogan, and at Hogan’s age with his back problems, it would surprise me if he could get cleared even if the sponsors were okay with his returning. My guess is the top of the Mania card will be shot largely on the 25th anniversary Raw because that will be the show with the largest viewing audience of the year most likely

On the radio show - Dave said if he was guessing it would be Undertaker but he also made very very clear that he was just speculating that and it wasn't based on anything outside of him guessing. (Though he joked that he was sure someone would take it for their site and put it as DAVE MELTZER SAYS ITS CENA VS TAKER AT MANIA!!!)

43 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

MLW wrestler Mike Parrow has come out of the closet and is engaged to his boyfriend of 4 years. 

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/pro-wrestler-mike-parrow/

I had never heard of this dude, but goddamn is he a physical specimen! What a fucking moose!!

Good for him for being in a place where he feels like he can be exactly who he is and not concern himself too much with people's reactions.

• Like 2

I did notice that on the raw after WM last year, they used a lot of language to leave the door open while still touting all the mainstream coverage Takers retirement got. Cole saying things like "seemingly retired" etc.

It was the best send off since Flair, but wrestling is wrestling, and will always be wrestling.

Maybe Cena and Nikki marry on the PPV