DVDVR Message Board

OCT 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

With all due respect to Malenko, surely at least 75% of the credit has to go to how over Jericho was as a heel?

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's crazy how much money WCW left on the table not running a proper Jericho-Goldberg match on PPV (by proper, I mean Goldberg destroying him, which is exactly what the fans would've been paying to see). I also felt like they were building to Jericho-DDP in late '98 when Page but that never panned out, either. 

God, that company sucked. 

Didn't Brian Adams get stuck in the pod in his only appearance as the Kiss Demon? It's fitting WCW would have a Spinal Tap moment like that. That pretty much sums up WCW after Hogan's arrival, one big Spinal Tap moment.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ace said:

I didn't know Dale Torborg did appearances as the Demon still. I figured his regular job (Conditioning coach for the White Sox) would keep him busy.

Maybe it’s a Sid situation. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Didn't Brian Adams get stuck in the pod in his only appearance as the Kiss Demon? It's fitting WCW would have a Spinal Tap moment like that. That pretty much sums up WCW after Hogan's arrival, one big Spinal Tap moment.

Yeah, he did. It’s a shame it was on Thunder, so they could edit it out. I’d have love for that to have been live on Nitro. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

Two monsters comfortable enough in their monstrosity to wear the most non threatening wrestling tights ever stitched together by man.

WTF is up with Caudle on commentary?

They look like prototypes of HBK's tights. . .  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

With all due respect to Malenko, surely at least 75% of the credit has to go to how over Jericho was as a heel?

Yeah, that was the perfect storm.  That was absolutely THE perfect moment.  That's like acting like Alex Riley was so over in 2011 by that one time he beat the shit out of The Miz.

I think you're mis-crediting the real reason. Ciclope was so over that when people finally found out he was Dean Malenko they were astonished only to have their hearts crushed later on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

"Year round Halloween store" seems like a flawed business plan to me.

They've been around 10-15 years and expanded to 3 stores on the same street. 

You gotta remember that some of us love this stuff the other 11 months of the year and October is just the month where everyone else gets on board too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The best part of this poster is the absence of Crush with Demolition.

You bring up an interesting point actually because Demo Crush is so low down on his gimmick list when I think of him. The first two are Kona Crush and NOD Crush.

And yes, I thought the head tattoo was real when I was a kid

jailbird21-32.jpg

• Like 2

What's  the "Brian Adams as Demon gets stuck in a pod" story?  Never heard it before and Google isn't turning up much.

I did come across an interview with Dale Torborg where he claimed that Demon should have been a much bigger deal (KISS was still huge at the time, according to him.  I don't remember them that way) and WCW depushed the gimmick to make Eric Bischoff look bad.  Okkayyyy.....

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

What's  the "Brian Adams as Demon gets stuck in a pod" story?  Never heard it before and Google isn't turning up much.

He was doing that silly entrance and when the doors were supposed to release him, they locked. So they had to get stagehands (although in my mind it’s more hilarious if it was just Wild Cat Willy) to pry the doors open. Apparently it took them like, 20 minutes or something. 

**edit** 

Okay, I found the only mention of it, from that old Observer Quotes thread...

"In Philadelphia, apparently the hydraulics didn't work and The Demon was stuck in his coffin for about three minutes before they could get him out" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 21, 2000. 

Looking at the results from the taping, this aired on Worldwide.