DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Basically, we're down to hoping his wife is smarter than he is, right?

I think it's more like hoping family means as much to him as it should.  Thus far, it seems like if he does get back in the ring, it will be over Brie's strong objections.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I think it's more like hoping family means as much to him as it should.  Thus far, it seems like if he does get back in the ring, it will be over Brie's strong objections.

I'm pretty sure the last time he thinks about actively wrestling instead of getting his paycheck the way he is, is the first time he holds his daughter.

At least I'd like think that's how it's going to work.

• Like 1

Big E. is a main-event talent, dammit. Yes, he's a comedic act -- but so was The Rock.

Maybe I'm going overboard here, but I do see a lot of Rock comparison. Both guys are incredibly charismatic, funny, look like they could kick anyone's ass and have the legitimate backgrounds as former high-level college football players to back it up. 

• Like 1

He might not WANT TO, but DB could easily the kind of light match that Porky was doing before his latest injuries. No real bumping, a tope where 5 guys catch him and comedy. 

Imagine teaming him with Microman.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

He might not WANT TO, but DB could easily the kind of light match that Porky was doing before his latest injuries. No real bumping, a tope where 5 guys catch him and comedy. 

Imagine teaming him with Microman.

I'd rather imagine him being able to walk in 10 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And to tie up the Bryan & Brie & Baby discussion

I hope the Danielson and Garcia-Colace families were in the delivery room chanting "Best in the world", singing Europe's "The Final Countdown", and banging on anything as if it were ROH's metal guardrails. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

As talented as Bryan is and for as much passion as he has he is honestly a moron if he plans on getting back in the ring. I just remember Bryan being out for a while with concerns for his neck and brain and then coming back to do this in a throw away match on a random Smackdown - 

I would rather be The Miz than Daniel Bryan. There I said it. We are all thinking it anyway.

Miz > Bryan

I enjoy wrestling for the art of wrestling. I enjoy Danielson's style of art over Miz's style. I wouldn't choose to be either because I never had aspirations to be a wrestler. 

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I said this last time the idea of Bryan wrestling outside of WWE came up, and I'll say it again: while the safety and health of the performers should be paramount, I have no doubt that there are many, many, many guys who work every single night that wouldn't pass similar testing. Id also guess that would be the case historically. 

This is what's surprised me the most about Bryan's condition.  I've been watching him ever since ROH started up and there have always been lots of his peers who worked much less safe and had tons more flying, head drops, and unnecessarily stiff repertoires who are still going strong.  Just look at Sami and Owens.  The stuff those guys would do regularly, especially to eachother in those ladder matches, was a hell of a lot worse than most of Bryan's body of work.  But I guess it only takes one or two wrong moves to land just the right way to do some serious damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

This is what's surprised me the most about Bryan's condition.  I've been watching him ever since ROH started up and there have always been lots of his peers who worked much less safe and had tons more flying, head drops, and unnecessarily stiff repertoires who are still going strong.  Just look at Sami and Owens.  The stuff those guys would do regularly, especially to eachother in those ladder matches, was a hell of a lot worse than most of Bryan's body of work.  But I guess it only takes one or two wrong moves to land just the right way to do some serious damage.

Exactly. Going back a couple pages, think about Ziggler's concussion history, for example. The other glaring example, at least to me, was when the Dudley Boyz and Dreamer had a mini-run last year or the year before. Lest we forget "Legends" appearances year after year. Sure, Hogan or Flair or Taker's style was much safer than Bryan's, but if concussions are now as routine as we are led to believe, then its difficult to think that they never suffered any in their respective 30+ year careers that were, maybe not as severe, but at least as numerous (if not frequent) as Bryan's.

That really is one of the most ass-backwards things I have ever read.

"A shit promotion is kicking our ass.  Our solution is to hire them and beat the shit out of them.  We might even recklessly throw them off a bus.  Kinda depends on if the talent is paying attention.  If that promotion's fans see us murdering them, CLEARLY they will see we are much better than them and will blindly jump to our side.  No way will they tell us to fuck off..."

It worked for some fans!  When Nitro came here, my brother and cousin bought nose-bleed seats, then some random WCW guy approached them and gave them seats directly behind the announcers (They almost got ran over by the Harris Bros on a run-in from the crowd!), while they were waiting for the show to start, though, some guy came up to them and said "I heard ICP is going to be here! If you chant their name all night, when they come out, they'll give you candy and other prizes!" and proceeded to chant "ICP! ICP!" all night.  For the record, ICP were NOT on that show.

1 hour ago, caley said:

It worked for some fans!  When Nitro came here, my brother and cousin bought nose-bleed seats, then some random WCW guy approached them and gave them seats directly behind the announcers (They almost got ran over by the Harris Bros on a run-in from the crowd!), while they were waiting for the show to start, though, some guy came up to them and said "I heard ICP is going to be here! If you chant their name all night, when they come out, they'll give you candy and other prizes!" and proceeded to chant "ICP! ICP!" all night.  For the record, ICP were NOT on that show.

did they also lose an IQ test to Nikki Bella? i think the answer is yes.

• Like 7