DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

If the WWE could buy the Matanza gimmick and have him vs. BRAUN, there's your WM 35 main event. Lock those two inside a HIAC and let em just beat the shit out of each other.

You realize Cobb is a foot shorter than Braun and would likely end up getting the Taz treatment in WWE, rigjt?

• Like 1

No possible idea of knowing if this is true or not, but it's too fun not to mention.  

According to WrestlingInc, Roman Reigns' next program will be against...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

No possible idea of knowing if this is true or not, but it's too fun not to mention.  

I hope it's not true.  I'd be willing to be a feud with Roman won't do the guy in the spoiler any good.

2 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

You realize Cobb is a foot shorter than Braun and would likely end up getting the Taz treatment in WWE, rigjt?

But with Triple H running things now, there's a bit of hope for short dudes. I mean he signs nothing but them for NXT. A guy who was short and nothing but muscle and can actually wrestle. That's a win/win.

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That doesn't seem like the best of ideas. I can see it being decent, but it won't do Roman any favors and may garner the other guy the opposite reaction WWE would want him to get. They should just leave Roman out for a few months.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

They just don't have a clue.  Or the balls to tell Vince that he doesn't have one.

4 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Taz was hurt more by the WCW guys jumping ship to the WWF than being short. He was at least over thru out his run. I don't know how short Cobb is, but he can't be that much shorter than Owens.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

That doesn't seem like the best of ideas. I can see it being decent, but it won't do Roman any favors and may garner the other guy the opposite reaction WWE would want him to get. They should just leave Roman out for a few months.

I love to watch Roman go uper Sayian 3 and squash mystery guy for months. 

I don't think Cobb's height would be the major issue, since WWE seems to be more open in the last few years of pushing wrestlers of different sizes as long as the crowd is reacting. I more think the issue is that he may not be seen as ready by WWE standards, granted I don't watch a lot of indie wrestling but from what I have seen he still would need some work to put on the type of match that WWE generally produces. Strength spots are impressive and he certainly can do those, but the structure in WWE is different so he'd likely need some time in NXT to acclimate.

1 hour ago, Victator said:

Taz was hurt more by the WCW guys jumping ship to the WWF than being short. He was at least over thru out his run. I don't know how short Cobb is, but he can't be that much shorter than Owens.

According to who? It was reported multiple times that once Vince saw how short Taz was, he was doomed. That comes from Bruce Prichard and others. I also want to say I recall Taz having attitude and injury issues during his run that further held him down.

Strange, I always heard the height thing wasn't an issue as Vince saw Taz as a 'sawed off shotgun ass kicker' but that, once they realised how broken down Taz was and with Benoit coming in he got depushed. You don't debut Taz the way they did unless you've got plans for him

• Like 3

Cobb's listed height is two inches shorter than KO's fwiw.

Benoit coming in certainly couldn't have helped Taz, given that he was basically a much better version of the same thing (a suplex throwing sawed off bad ass with a surly attitude) other than not being as good on the mic. If it was just the height thing, Benoit would've gotten cut off just as fast.

Well, Benoit did come in with buzz as the best Wrestler in the world, former WCW champion and that. Whilst Taz was just a short guy who did suplexes.

• Like 1

It's funny, I just watched a match Taz had with Taker on Smackdown probably within the last few months before he retired, and even though it went only a few minutes I was surprised how well he was protected and made to look like an asskicker. Though this was during Taker's Big Evil phase where he probably gave more of his matches to the other guys than he usually did.

Cobb having an Olympic background (including carrying the flag for Guam at the Opening Ceremonies -- considering Vince's relationship with Dick Ebersol, I'd imagine NBC having zero issue loaning this footage to WWE) gives him shoot credibility and an immediate gimmick. Fantasy booking, I'd debut him as a brown-noser protege to Angle, playing up their shared Olympic lineage. 

That said, a match I'd love to see is Cobb vs. Lashley; preferably somewhere that isn't Impact. 

3 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Cobb having an Olympic background (including carrying the flag for Guam at the Opening Ceremonies -- considering Vince's relationship with Dick Ebersol, I'd imagine NBC having zero issue loaning this footage to WWE) gives him shoot credibility and an immediate gimmick. Fantasy booking, I'd debut him as a brown-noser protege to Angle, playing up their shared Olympic lineage. 

That said, a match I'd love to see is Cobb vs. Lashley; preferably somewhere that isn't Impact. 

As a fellow chamorro, I'd love for Cobb to be in the WWE. But this role you described needs to go to Gable.

On 5/11/2017 at 0:00 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Unless he's an other worldly good worker like AJ/KO/Sami,

What has KO done over the past few years that would show he's better than Cobb?

I find the idea that Owens is an "other worldly" good worker very questionable as well. Outside of the Cena/Owens series (which was one good match and then realizing they only had that one good match) the listing of really good things were I thought Owens was really good in the match that don't involve Sami Zayn is about 0.

I find Owens to be awful. He's had a few individual matches I liked, but on the whole, I find him grating. What I saw of him in ROH, I thought he was Davey Richards levels of bad when it came to moves-over-psychology. Obviously he's not THAT bad about it in WWE, but still more of a video-game worker without much psychology. 

I also can't stand his gimmick. I'm glad they dropped the Prizefighter stuff, but I just don't buy him as a bad-ass tough guy. I find that so ill-fitting for a kinda short, kinda pudgy guy with a very youthful face. I think he could work as a schoolyard bully-type, who cheap shots and sucker punches but withers and whines like a coward when a face stands up to him. It seems that's what they're going for with him, but he plays it like way too much of a tough guy. 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2017 at 7:25 AM, joseph2112 said:

While I certainly agree with you, I'll just leave this here.

I'm pretty sure Scotty got suspended for two weeks though. With pay, of course.

JJ Dillon wrote about this in his book. Steiner's defense was that Hogan had cut a similar shoot style promo on Flair a few weeks earlier. The problem was that Hogan and Flair were involved in an angle and even though there was some shooty stuff, it pertained to their angle and Hogan didn't flat out say WCW sucks and that he was going to watch Stone Cold. Originally they were going to suspend him for a month without pay. Then I think two weeks without pay. Then  they just fined him. Then Steiner's lawyer got involved and they ended up not suspending him at all and giving him a bonus equivalent to whatever his fine was.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

I also can't stand his gimmick... I just don't buy him as a bad-ass tough guy. I find that so ill-fitting for a kinda short, kinda pudgy guy with a very youthful face. I think he could work as a schoolyard bully-type, who cheap shots and sucker punches but withers and whines like a coward when a face stands up to him. It seems that's what they're going for with him, but he plays it like way too much of a tough guy. 

Are we talking about the Miz or Kevin Owens?

• Like 2