DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

I thought the most overused Christian name in Wrestling was Shane? Since you've got all the guys using it as a last name as well.

If someone says Eddie is an overused name, does Eddie Edwards count as one usage or two? Or zero, because it's his real name?

7 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

"The."

"The" has nothing on "El".

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I thought the most overused Christian name in Wrestling was Shane? Since you've got all the guys using it as a last name as well.

If someone says Eddie is an overused name, does Eddie Edwards count as one usage or two? Or zero, because it's his real name?

"The" has nothing on "El".

PWG once sent out a press release for a show with Eddie "Eddie Edwards" Edwards.  I'd count all four.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caley said:

At one point in ROH, it was definitely 'Jay'.  They had Jay Lethal, Briscoe, Diesel (They tried to cover that by saying it was "J.Diesel" but, come on, everyone at home knew it was 'Jay'!).  But I can't really think of any other Jays.

Then they brought in Jay White. ROH realized that three Jay's is the limit, so they changed J Diesel's name to Joey "Diesel" Daddiego. 

24 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

is it a given that all wrestlers take part in the cult of crossfit these days? Every gym shot I see on instagram seems to be in a garage somewhere

I think it's more that the "box" aesthetic has taken over. My gym isn't CrossFit but has a secondary space that's just a big garage with a bunch of equipment thrown in. It's kind of like how every restaurant went "industrial" not long ago - it's a trend that looks hip and is cheap, because you can just pass off exposed wiring/plumbing and unfinished walls and doors as part of the aesthetic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

Then they brought in Jay White. ROH realized that three Jay's is the limit, so they changed J Diesel's name to Joey "Diesel" Daddiego. 

Imagine having that conversation with him.  "I know J.Diesel is a catchy name, but we're thiking instead "Joey "Diesel" Daddiego"!  Doesn't that just roll off the tongue?  No?  Well too bad, we have way too many 'Jays'."

Also, while looking up Daddiego, I came across ANOTHER Matt: Matt Sells.

24 minutes ago, caley said:

Imagine having that conversation with him.  "I know J.Diesel is a catchy name, but we're thiking instead "Joey "Diesel" Daddiego"!  Doesn't that just roll off the tongue?  No?  Well too bad, we have way too many 'Jays'."

Also, while looking up Daddiego, I came across ANOTHER Matt: Matt Sells.

Heel name: Matt Nosells

• Like 2

so from reading this I have deduced that the perfect wrestler name would be El Christopher "The Jay" Matthews. Any workers are free to use this on their way to obvious wrestling stardom and immortality.

• Like 4

Jim Ross announced that he and Nigel McGuinness will be the announcers for the WWE UK Show (well at least the first batch of shows)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jim Ross announced that he and Nigel McGuinness will be the announcers for the WWE UK Show (well at least the first batch of shows)

Wow, that sounds like it'll be one helluva pairing.  That on top of what sounds like pretty good UK taping results and it sounds like it'll be a helluva Network show.

2 hours ago, w. josh said:

I think it's more that the "box" aesthetic has taken over. My gym isn't CrossFit but has a secondary space that's just a big garage with a bunch of equipment thrown in. It's kind of like how every restaurant went "industrial" not long ago - it's a trend that looks hip and is cheap, because you can just pass off exposed wiring/plumbing and unfinished walls and doors as part of the aesthetic.

This. And also, Crossfit--or Crossfit like--gyms are some of the most reliable places to find free weights, and the right equipment/space to do powerlifting/Olympic lifts. Most also allow you to pay significantly less money if you just want to show up and lift, rather than partake in the classes. For self-motivated fitness devotees, that's a pretty good setup. 

5 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

This is, possibly, the most boring conversation I've ever seen on this board. Ever

I like your sly way of invoking your own first name.

I mean, "Creative has nothing for you" is a common phrase on wrestling boards, right?

• Like 2

Jay Strongbow.

Speaking of what's the most. If you could go back in history and count up the times it was said, which would be more-

Announcer says "Wait a minute!" or

Wrestler says "let me tell you something".

Those two phrases seems to cross every period of wrestling and every company that ever existed.