DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

But despite how good this week's RAW is, I am realizing that I may have just OD'd on WWE product these last few weeks. The commentators are screaming at the top of their lungs. Everything is turned up to eleven. Sensory overload. Add to that the dickhead crowd and their chants.

I think I need to spend a week watching 1986 AWA  and 1970's All Japan to detox. 

52 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I think the only way they could make the Orton-Bray Wyatt feud worse is if they found a way to involve Kane in it.

That's how the whole "If you can't beat them, join them" part started - Orton turned on Kane during a tag match with the Wyatts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kafkonia said:

That's how the whole "If you can't beat them, join them" part started - Orton turned on Kane during a tag match with the Wyatts.

True, forgot that part.

6 hours ago, Kronos said:

What a grown-up. :rolleyes: 

Styles made the same type of joke he would have in 98 about Clinton getting his dick sucked, and well people reverted to their fake outrage. 

It was stupid and I really dislike Joey Styles in general. 

11 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

No I mean logistics of champions working TV tapings on two/three consecutive nights as well as what brand do they tour house shows with etc etc. All things which Harley Race and Ric Flair would laugh in your face about but it's not the territories anymore

Champions would not need to work every show. The Intercontinental and United States champions would be defacto champions and Brock would alternate. Realistically how often will he even appear on Raw. The month after King Of The Ring 02, produced some good TV with RVD and Brock main eventing most weeks. I think it made the IC belt more prestigious and made RVD a bigger star and Brock a bigger threat to the title.

It would take a moderate effort to work today, but the writers do not want that. 

• Like 2

I've never been a big fan if having 2 World Champions. I was a proponent at the time if having a touring SEE World Heavyweight Champion that traveled between shows, with each brand having either the US or IC as their belt. It's very territorial, but it would have been the best for everyone.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OSJ said:

You should run a wrestling fed... ;-) Doesn't anyone else remember JCP showing the top ten every week for the Heavyweight Title? How about PWI running their top tens every issue? They didn't do nearly as much with the concept as they could have, but they did use it and it leant veracity to things to have the #7 guy facing the #3 guy and so on.

I always love, love, loved the PWI top 10 as a kid before I knew the way of the world. Like, why WOULDN'T Ultimo Dragon be 10th in line for Hogan? He's the TV champ!

• Like 5

I remember Flair's feud with Funk started b/c Funk wanted a title shot but Flair pointed out he (Funk) had been off in Hollywood and wasn't in the top 10 rankings. Funk attacked Flair and then started a brief mini-feud with Steamboat so he could move up enough in the rankings to get a shot at Flair. He lost by DQ but Flair was still pissed off about Funk piledriving him on the table so he gave him a title match anyway.

• Like 3

Aron Stevens (aka Damien Sandow) claims he isn't taking anymore bookings this year (was at WrestleCon this past weekend)

He insists he isn't retiring just "doing other stuff for awhile"

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Any news if the WWE's returning to the UK in November and which cities? Touch wood I may be able to make one. Thank you.

Last year the announced the Nov Dates in May so I am going assume it will be close to the same schedule now

Basically - assume they will announce when they are returning during the UK tour in May

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Last year the announced the Nov Dates in May so I am going assume it will be close to the same schedule now

Basically - assume they will announce when they are returning during the UK tour in May

Cheers, RIPPA. The May locations are busts this time round for me compared to April 2015-November 2016.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Aron Stevens (aka Damien Sandow) claims he isn't taking anymore bookings this year (was at WrestleCon this past weekend)

He insists he isn't retiring just "doing other stuff for awhile"

I didn't know he left TNA, but man did his stock fall pretty hard.  He would have been much better off doing indies for a decent price.  He went in TNA from hot shit to just shit and Aaron Rex was the final nail in the coffin.  I still think he'll be good in acting but now he's got that TNA stink on him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I didn't know he left TNA, but man did his stock fall pretty hard.  He would have been much better off doing indies for a decent price.  He went in TNA from hot shit to just shit and Aaron Rex was the final nail in the coffin.  I still think he'll be good in acting but now he's got that TNA stink on him.

TNA stink is right. Only a few wrestlers survived/got rid of it. TNA royally fucked up Samoa Joe.

• Like 1

Arron Rex's TNA gimmick (After 'Straight-shootin' guy who badmouths WWE') was so bad, it was one of the signs that no matter how out-of-touch or senile people think Vince McMahon is, he still has some pretty good business sense (Supposedly Sandow wanted to do the gimmick in WWE but they wouldn't let him).

58 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Wonder how many gimmick ideas turned down by Vince/WWE were actually used successfully in another place

TNA managed to do more with Shannon Moore's "Prince of Punk" thing than WWE did, so that might be the closest one.

Maybe "The Black Pope" Elijah Burke worked since TNA also managed to get a few good years of an uppercarder from him.

After that...not many.