DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just discovered that a KC-based indy airing on a local station I get.

So, the first match I see involves one guy doing a Wine Connoisseur gimmick in a heel vs heel match. The absence of his manservant is conspicuous, it seems.

I'll update you on anything else I notice.

edit: They have a YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFzJXWTxb_l55zDLrmszgMg/videos

edit 2: Wine Connoisseur Guy (Plonk) is bleeding around the 11:20 mark of the match. His opponent unleashed a back rake after the blood started. Fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kronos said:

Watching 1/1/2000 Hardcore TV. Tanaka gives Awesome a vicious unprotected chair shot right on top of the head. 

Uggh.

Yeah, that's every Awesome vs Tanaka match ever.  Those dudes were not very smart.

• Like 5

Listening to some recently WORs...Dear God, JBL is a sociopath, isn't he?

Even all that charity work for Bermuda just feels like a mad bully trying to keep up appearances and appear respectable.

He has knowingly and happily driven mentally ill, vulnerable people to the edge of madness. Literally he has done this.  

Also: Nova's story about JBL and Benoit hunting down and terrorizing Justin Roberts because he didn't throw T-shirts into the crowd properly still creeps me out.

"The way they kept violently pounding on his hotel room door...it scared the hell out of me. I prayed for him not to answer."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Reed said:

Listening to some recently WORs...Dear God, JBL is a sociopath, isn't he?

Even all that charity work for Bermuda just feels like a mad bully trying to keep up appearances and appear respectable.

He has knowingly and happily driven mentally ill, vulnerable people to the edge of madness. Literally he has done this.  

Also: Nova's story about JBL and Benoit hunting down and terrorizing Justin Roberts because he didn't throw T-shirts into the crowd properly still creeps me out.

"They way they kept violently pounding on his hotel room door...it scared the hell out of me. I prayed for him not to answer."

I'd say yes. Yes, he is a sociopath.

• Like 3

I am not by nature a violent or vindictive person, but nothing would make me happier than to see Bas Rutten get five minutes with JBL. (I know, thirty seconds is about all it would really take, but five minutes he could do some really creative shit.)

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I am not by nature a violent or vindictive person, but nothing would make me happier than to see Bas Rutten get five minutes with JBL. (I know, thirty seconds is about all it would really take, but five minutes he could do some really creative shit.)

I would love to see that video with Pantera's "5 Minutes Alone" in the background and Corey Graves on commentary, obviously.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would love to see that video with Pantera's "5 Minutes Alone" in the background and Corey Graves on commentary, obviously.

I am not a huge Pantera fan, but in context that would be lovely.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

I am not a huge Pantera fan, but in context that would be lovely.

Now I am going to have "Five minutes alonnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" stuck in my head all day. 

This is not a bad thing. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Bart Gunn made mince-meat of JBL in a real, proper fight.

In seconds.

Still delightful to watch.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Reed said:

Bart Gunn made mince-meat of JBL in a real, proper fight.

In seconds.

Still delightful to watch.

Indeed it is. At the staredown, you can see JBL is visibly scared shitless.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Glories of Bradshaw beating aside, wasn't that crappy event Russo's idea? Didn't it hurt Steve Williams really badly?

Man, Russo sucks. Still today. My local indy fed, Rocky Mountain Pro, has hired him to do a big reboot this year. I watched the first two TV on youtube. The production quality is excellent. The writing is the same garbage he was doing at WCW in May 2000 - including the fed owner and Russo screaming at each other back stage. Maybe 30 min of actual wrestling - maybe - in 2 hours of tv. 

I actually like some of the workers I saw on those shows, but I refuse to give them any money while he's a part of things. Which means I won't go to any live shows.

23 minutes ago, OSJ said:

One liver shot is all it would take.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Glories of Bradshaw beating aside, wasn't that crappy event Russo's idea? Didn't it hurt Steve Williams really badly?

Man, Russo sucks. Still today. My local indy fed, Rocky Mountain Pro, has hired him to do a big reboot this year. I watched the first two TV on youtube. The production quality is excellent. The writing is the same garbage he was doing at WCW in May 2000 - including the fed owner and Russo screaming at each other back stage. Maybe 30 min of actual wrestling - maybe - in 2 hours of tv. 

I actually like some of the workers I saw on those shows, but I refuse to give them any money while he's a part of things. Which means I won't go to any live shows.

1. Ruined Steve Williams in the US market. Absolutely ruined him as his whole aura was the legit tough guy (which he was, he just wasn't a boxer.)

2. Why any promoter would give that fuckhead a dime is beyond me. If you're so creatively bankrupt that you need to hire Vince Russo for ideas, stay the fuck out of the business and go open a sandwich shop or something.

3. Good for you. As much as I like to help out indy promotions, the best help you can give these guys is to stay away and encourage other fans to do the same until they get rid of fuckhead.

Funny, I can't think of anyone else that I've never met that I harbor so much dislike for as Vince Russo. I think if I were ever introduced, screw the assault charges*, I'd bitchslap him into next week just on general principles. 

Be a first offense in about thirty years so I'd get a scolding from the judge and probation, I can live with that. ;-)

• Like 3

Bob Holly talked about Brawl for All quite a bit in his book. Lots of interesting stuff. He said that they indeed did pay Steve Williams the money before the whole thing started. 

When they announced the tournament and said it was no rules, Blackman was like, "so I can kick someone in the knee and take them out, right?". They quickly put some rules in place after that. Blackman was the backstage favorite to win it but tore his knee and couldn't compete.

13 minutes ago, OSJ said:

There was something a journalist, somewhere, brought up about Kurt Angle when he started with WWE in 1999 or so.

"Well, obviously many people on the roster are pissed at his mega-bucks contract."

*pause*

*But they won't stiff him or take advantage. Not ever. They'll be polite."

Basically because Kurt could legitimately kill them within 30 seconds if he wanted to. (The Olympics and the Gold medal and all.) 

Same reason Brock got left alone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Don't forget the multitude of injuries during Brawl For All - plus they ended up killing Bart Gunn off immediately by thinking he could actually go toe to toe with a boxer and threw him in the ring with Butterbean at WrestleMania.  

Holly said that even though they promoted the match under BFA rules, it was actually only ever going to be a boxing match. Butterbean wouldn't agree to an actual BFA match. Holly said that Bart might've had a chance under BFA rules b/c he could've taken Butterbean down but there was no way he was going to win a stand-up fight.

13 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Except for Puder. :lol:

That was years later, though. He was older. And that whole thing is just sad to watch.

Kurt, a man who has tested himself in the highest competition possible (the Olympics), decides to pick on some rookies. One is a half-assed, second-rate UFC fighter and says: "Well, I'll fight you."

Kurt gets embarrassed.

Because he got petty, cruel and decided to be a bully. 

I assume there is some vague life lesson here.

• Like 3