DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread (For people who have seen the movie)

goodhelmet

I think we're talking past each other Oyaji.

I world not, for anything, remove that scene from Jedi. Especially if you suffer through investing time in the prequels, it's the lynchpin moment of the franchise. 

But if we are strictly talking about Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, scariest mofo in the Galaxy, and, IMO, in the first two movies, the greatest villain in the history of action cinema... Humanizing him, removing the mask and showing the broken man inside, and having him care about someone... That might not quite succeed in killing the aura and mystique, but it certainly tarnishes it quite a bit. 

Him butchering a dozen rebels in about a minute? That polishes it back up real quick like.

If you haven't read the Darth Vader comic, then you really need to. Watching that scene at the end felt like THAT Vader. That was awesome. One of the best movie moments of all time. I suddenly went from caring about a young Han movie to wanting an adaption of the Darth Vader comic for the big screen. Just 2 hours of Vader fucking everyone up.

• Like 2

See how at the start of the non-flashback bit of Rogue One, Jyn Erso is in prison? See how Felicity Jones is signed for two movies? See how the next standalone is a Han Solo solo movie? That might be turning into the story of how she got arrested in the first place.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think we're talking past each other Oyaji.

I world not, for anything, remove that scene from Jedi. Especially if you suffer through investing time in the prequels, it's the lynchpin moment of the franchise. 

But if we are strictly talking about Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, scariest mofo in the Galaxy, and, IMO, in the first two movies, the greatest villain in the history of action cinema... Humanizing him, removing the mask and showing the broken man inside, and having him care about someone... That might not quite succeed in killing the aura and mystique, but it certainly tarnishes it quite a bit. 

Him butchering a dozen rebels in about a minute? That polishes it back up real quick like.

I'm sorry, this scene just entered my head as I read this. 

Rogue One is amazing.  I want a K2SO movie.  Fuck Boba Fett. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2016 at 8:03 PM, nofuture said:

From this teaser, it looks like they changed or cut out parts the beach scene.  At 1:22 you can Jyn and Cassian running on the beach with the Death Star plans USB.

The working theory I've seen is that the Death Star plans and satellite uplink were in separate buildings, and they simply streamlined it to have them in the same one probably for pacing purposes.  So originally, they would've had to run away from the vault on Scarif and then high tail it through the beach to the satellite.  At the same time, my problem with the final battle is that you keep both Jyn and Cassian out of it and in a VHS vault the whole thing which IMHO is a narrative misstep. 

On 12/20/2016 at 6:30 AM, Raziel403 said:

Between the time they were seen and the time the Death Star ID4'd Jeddah City:

A Rebel attack on a crystal shipment happened, the Rogues were taken by Saw's men, then marched/moved miles away to Saw's hideout, which was well established to be REALLY far from the city itself, and every Imperial in the planned damage radius was evaced before the Death Star fired.  It was plenty of time for those 2 to leave Jeddah and mosey over to Tatooine.  If you were someone paying attention to the movements of local law enforcement (which They would've have been, having the Death Sentence on Twelve Systems), you'd realize something was up when they all were leaving the area post-haste while a Star Destroyer was hanging over the city, a ship that could reign Hellfire on a city if it wanted to.

The bad fan service was the short shot of Artoo and Threepio standing in the hangar at Yavin while everyone was scrambling when they needed to be on the ship that was established to be in the Command Ship's hold during the battle that everyone was scrambling to because that's where they are about 20 minutes after this movie is over and the next one starts.

I just don't see the point of putting Evazan and Tuskman there other than to pander to fans.  Something I prefer about the storytelling of Rebels is that when it seeds in references from the original trilogy it's usually always for a reason or from a storytelling perspective.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:45 AM, Tromatagon said:

I doubt I'm alone in this but the guy in the robe that talks to Vader is totally gonna end up being Snoke, right?

On 12/20/2016 at 10:55 AM, Reed said:

I may or may not steal this post for my FB page, for the record. 

I have a friend who was obsessed with the "Who is Snoke" theories online.  So as soon as he saw the movie I texted him "you know the guy with the robes who wakes up Vader is Snoke right?".  Haha, he didn't even think of it.  

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, Matt D said:

Yeah, me and the DARPA guys actually talked about this particular issue over lunch yesterday. 

One of the glaring omission that the article fails to make note of is the role that droids play in data transfer and machine interfacing.

The Empire's cybersecurity isn't really that bad because most SMU computer systems are not designed to be accessed directly by humanoids.

Every time there is a security breach on a computer in the early Star Wars movies, it is R2 that jacks in and the act of "hacking" is actually two AI's conversing and one trying to convince the other to provide the information that it needs.. 

Furthermore, protocol droids like C3PO can communicate in machine language with other systems ( ex. the scene in SW where 3P0 confirms that he can "speak" Bacce which is the machine language of the water collection equipment that Luke's uncle uses on his ranch), so in a sense, they are a lot like programmers or walking, talking peripheral devices. 

Instead of using a keyboard for system input or getting system output from a printer, you send the protocol droid to chat with whatever system you're having issues with and the protocol droid returns and tells you what the problem is via spoken word.

In the SW universe, droids are the primary access points between hard computer systems and humanoids.

There aren't too many examples of humanoid hackers in the SWU other than Han's comical attempts to override the blast doors and gain access to the shield generator station in Return of the Jedi.

Astromech droids are the walking storage devices and they are also AIs, so you pretty much have the perfect cybersecurity system in the form of a walking, autonomous, Yottabyte drive that can tell friend from foe and decides on its own who gets to see the data. 

The best examples of this are R2 running off to find Obi Wan rather than show Luke the entire hologram of Leia and BB8 pretty much telling Finn to fuck off when Finn asks the droid to trust him and Rey with the location of the Rebel's base and then reconsidering after judging Finn's feelings about defecting from the First Order to be genuine.

They can also be fitted with restraining bolts to govern their actions and can also be memory wiped so that their core data and the knowledge of any data they've stored (aka "memories") is also deleted.

As far as humanoid system access goes, you can always assume that in that far of a distant future there are other security protocols in place that determine who is allowed to access what system (aka. who is allowed to initiate the Death Star firing sequence) like cybernetic implants pre-fitted with user access codes or biometric interfaces that continuously acknowledges the user as he accesses the system, but no one really drills down that deeply.

The other glaring omission that the article makes is that the team isn't exactly going in cold.  They have a former Imperial pilot on their side as well as a repurposed Imperial enforcer droid, so it's not like the Rogue One team is embarking on an infiltration mission without anyone that has zero background in Imperial system access or protocols.

• Like 2

Have you heard the theory that everyone in the Star Wars universe is illiterate? Reading and Writing either never existed,or died out with the advent of video messaging, and that's part of what allows despots to rise to power (control of information flow).

• Like 1

On 12/18/2016 at 10:36 PM, Kuetsar said:

Bacta is strong shit, but nothing cures lava burns. Having his castle on Mustafar instead of Vjun is weak shit though.

I was going to ask if that was Mustafar, since that is the only planet that didn't get a label.

Caught the film earlier today. It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it a good deal. The ending was about what I expected as far as mass death goes. I loved seeing Vader in action as slasher monster at the end. That was so damn awesome. I hope we see a story about Chirrut & Baze before Rogue One at some point. They were fun. I feel a bit bad missing the Rebels easter eggs though its nice to know they were there. Fun film overall. Not sure if its better than TFA or not, but I have to admit the characters felt a bit more fresh in comparison outside of maybe Kylo Ren.