DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

10 hours ago, Matt788 said:

I don't think Kenny Omega cares for ROH. He's the big thing in New Japan. why bother with ROH. Why bother to go anywhere when he is red hot there.

In Highspots Developmentally Speaking with Brian Myers/Hawkins, Omega seemed to insinuate that he has no plans to go back to WWE either.  Johnny Ace put him in deep south years ago and he hated it. However, it's a different WWE now and money talks, but Omega is to smart to go there.

by the way,all DVDR readers need to watch the entire five episodes of Developmentally Speaking wth Brian Myers as well as the Brian Myers solo shoot. Myers and his guests, particularly Omega and Naylor, are fascinating when telling stories of the political minefield of pre-NXT developmental. FASCINATING and I don't even like Highspots shoots. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Doesn't Omega have visas issues that prevent him from entering the country?

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think the chance of Punk ever going in has passed after he walked out.  He wasn't that high on the voting to begin with, but him walking out didn't help matters.  Maybe if he knocked it out of the park in his UFC debut that might have helped.  But unless he goes back to wrestling there's no chance for him.  While I wholeheartedly agree he was a trailblazer and everything, Danielson did a ton is his own right to change the landscape to what it is today.  And unlike Punk he was more talented and is very much in WWE's good graces.  So for me instead of lamenting about Punk not being in I'll be over-the-moon happy to see Bryan inducted.

Does Daniel Bryan main event Mania if Punk doesn't walk out?

So Sting is now the first and only man to be in the WWE, TNA, and WON Halls of Fame? Because on that basis, he's a more HoF-worthy Wrestler than Hogan!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Doesn't Omega have visas issues that prevent him from entering the country?

Customs heard that Kenny Omega has a history of wrestling sex dolls and 8-year-old girls for money and decided it was best just to flag his passport.

7 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

Fair point, I'm leaning towards no if that were the case.  But it sounded like he lucked into a lot of situations.  What would have happened if people liked Sheamus and accepted the 18 second win?  Or even when Punk walked out what if Batista was accepted as a face and it was just him vs. Orton at WM?  I don't think these "lucky" situations should disqualify him as a hall of famer, but they certainly helped.  I'd like to think that even if things didn't play out the way he did he'd at some point still be inducted.  The retirement factor helped his case a lot too, but he had tons of love from current and former wrestlers alike.

Owens as double champion would work if his Universal title reign was going well.  IMO, it's not.  He's overshadowed by Jericho to the point that they should have found a way to put the red belt on Y2J by now.  Not to mention that everyone is waiting for the sledgehammer to drop in the Owens/Rollins/HHH saga, literally.

• Like 1

If they are gonna have Reigns face Owens, I'd say take the belt off Reigns on Monday. Do a three way Reigns vs Rusev vs Strowman for the US belt and have Owens distract Reigns and Strowman pin Rusev. Now there's more heat for on Owens vs Reigns as Owens cost Reigns his title. Braun vs Rusev can be added to Roadblock and theres a built in feud of Braun vs Reigns for the US title as Reigns wants to regain the title he never technically lost. But what do I know I've only been watching wrestling my whole life pretty much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Probably, yeah. Punk didn't walk out until after the 2014 Rumble, which was the beginning of the end for the Batista glorious babyface return, and well into Bryan being the most over wrestler in the company. He probably doesn't do double duty with HHH, but they'd have to put him on the show somewhere, and Batista/Orton was never gonna hack it as the main.

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

All of this would make sense and would be a cool storyline if any of the belts meant shit.  Which they don't.

I wish Roman Reigns would stop draping the US Title over his shoulder like a cape. Display that shit! If you don't care about being US Champ, then neither do I.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

All of this would make sense and would be a cool storyline if any of the belts meant shit.  Which they don't.

They could make the belts mean something if they went with things like I suggested. Not saying I'm a wrestling genius or anything but I think less emphasis on Sports Entertainment and more emphasis on wrestling would make the medium an entertaining sport again.

• Like 2

It just goes to show how much Balor's injury derailed their Universal title plans.  Because they clearly intended for him to carry the belt into WM.  But he had to vacate the title, and HHH handed KO the belt in way that made Owens look wimpy. And no one could have anticipated Jericho becoming this much of a star again in 2016.

I'd try to figure out a way to get to a Reigns/Zayn program in mid-2017.  Allow Zayn to accomplish what Owens couldn't on his own, which sends KO into a frenzy to beat the stuffing out of Zayn again and re-establish that rivalry going into 2018.

25 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

I wish Roman Reigns would stop draping the US Title over his shoulder like a cape. Display that shit! If you don't care about being US Champ, then neither do I.

He carries it like Magnum leaving the steel cage, babygirl.

• Like 2

The complaints about how he carries the US belt are ridiculous, especially when you consider he carried the World title in similar fashion on several occasions and nothing was said at the time. I appreciate how Foley adjusted the belt inside the ring once to better display for the crowd.  But how anyone carries it to the ring is a case of who cares.

Ambrose used to wear it like a cum rag during the Shield era, even throwing it on the ground with Rollins having to pick it up. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

I guess it depends on the character. With Dean it worked. I loved when Tetsuya Naito would toss around the IWGP title like garbage, because Naito is a piece of shit. With Roman it's like he's embarrassed to be US Champ.

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

How are these two things related? How would Punk have fit into the main event of Mania?

The better question is does Daniel Bryan get hired and/or does the Yes movement happen without Punk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

How are these two things related? How would Punk have fit into the main event of Mania?

The better question is does Daniel Bryan get hired and/or does the Yes movement happen without Punk.

Yes and yes.

For being hired...come on. Shawn Michaels, Triple H's BFF, couldn't get his admitted top student a look from the WWE...? That just would not happen.  Bryan WOULD get hired no matter what. 

For the Yes movement: It was bound to inevitably happen, because that really started from "people were furious about 18 Seconds at Mania 29 and wouldn't let WWE forget that", to the point it slowly changed to "Hell No happens to Bryan getting a face turn", then kept going up and kept getting more momentum until the Authority angle built it to a powderkeg. 

The only thing that CM Punk not being there would have done would likely be to lessen the stakes of the Yes Movement enough so that WWE could potentially shut it down, solely because CM Punk made the stakes high enough to be "the storylines don't matter. The feuds don't matter. The titles don't matter. All that matters is being in JOHN CENA'S SPOT, and if you're not specifically in HIS SPOT then you're no better than a jobber"- and the Authority angle and Yes Movement at least recalibrated the stakes back down to "Whoever is the WWE World Heavyweight Champion is the Face of the WWE just by virtue of being the World Champion" and got it down to "Of course Daniel Bryan's in JOHN CENA'S SPOT- Bryan's the WWE World Heavyweight Champion, isn't he?"

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

And no one could have anticipated Jericho becoming this much of a star again in 2016.

Pretty sure Jericho did. I hope the deal he signed reflected it.

All this talk about how people carry belts and I'm the one taking things too seriously. Psssssh.

All kidding aside, aesthetics for how they treat what's supposed to be the most important things in wrestling, is a big deal.