DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

It was really clever of Miz to reinvent himself by.... doing the same thing he's done for the past several years.

No one is saying that.  What he did is strip his gimmick to the nuts and bolts, and channel all of his energy to what makes the character tick.

Some of us appreciate that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

No one is saying that.  What he did is strip his gimmick to the nuts and bolts, and channel all of his energy to what makes the character tick.

And he was given an opportunity to run with the character and have plenty of screen time to flesh out a real feud with Dolph and also Bryan.

On RAW his typical storyline was:  Lose to challenger, beat challenger, move on. No weight. No stakes. No reason. Just two dudes fighting and trading wins. See: Rollins/Jericho/Owens/Reigns

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It also helps that his ringwork seems to have improved.  For the longest time, he was only as good as whoever his opponent was.  Now, he's reached a point where he doesn't need to be carried.

10 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

It was really clever of Miz to reinvent himself by.... doing the same thing he's done for the past several years.

I think Miz got complacent, and that's something that's very easy to do.  He went from main eventing WM to pretty much being a guy that you forgot was on the roster.  It's very easy to say "Hey, I got my moment.  I'll just collect a check now."  But after they gave him the ball after this year's WM, I think he basically said "Fuck this, I'm keeping the ball."

I think that Mizdow angle lit a fire too.  I don't remember what podcast/Network show it was, but I remember him being "upset" about how Sandow was much more over than him even though Sandow was literally just copying Miz.  He said it in a "ha ha" way, but I think it really did bother him.

5 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

It also helps that his ringwork seems to have improved.  For the longest time, he was only as good as whoever his opponent was.  Now, he's reached a point where he doesn't need to be carried.

I think this is getting undersold in all the Miz love. Miz has been the most hateable guy on the roster for years, and a plus promo guy (at least as a heel) for years before that. The problem was that when the character work was done, what you got was a Miz match. It's only recently that that's been something to look forward to. 

Another element that shouldn't be overlooked is how much Maryse adds to the act. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

But if you're going with the "Matt Hardy made people want TNA to stay in business and watch Impact", wouldn't that be equalled out with: WWE tried what seemed to be one of the stupidest concepts possible for a WWE Network show in "adding a Talking Dead-esque recap show to Smackdown", a year after the Network failed miserably by adding a Talking Dead-esque recap show for Tough Enough...and The Miz basically singlehandedly turned it into one of the most must-see shows on the Network each week?

Doing a post game show is a pretty simple idea.

Making TNA watchable is a way bigger deal. Even if the deletion gimmick is old.

WWE Wrestler Catches Heat Backstage Over Comment During RAW

Big E apparently caught heat backstage when last week he improvised a line about Charlotte beating her father’s 16-time World Title reign within a month. The remark did not go over well with some people backstage and by clicking the  video from the WWE YouTube page on the link below, you can see that the line was removed.

http://wrestlechat.net/report-big-e-gets-heat-for-comment-about-charlotte-from-this-past-mondays-raw/

• Like 1

No way this will ever happen, but I want Jerry Lawler to host a David Letterman style late night talk show at 11 pm on the WWE network after Raw. He could monologue, then have a entertainment industry guest, then a wrestler guest and then a band plays a song ans there you have a Late Night with WWE format.

Booker T could be the first guest or an Andy Richtor style sidekick The entertainment stars could talk about their projects. Then seamlessly place in a WWE wrestler interview in the next segment, thus making it seem like WWE Network is a mainstream property and not a weirdo niche. Lawler as Letterman/Leno could work. They could just have some actor talk about the upcoming movie they are in, and then right afterwards  AJ  styles promos about Dean Ambrose. Then a rock band or pop singer sings a song. Its a proven formula. I badly want this to become a show. What do you think?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Matt788 said:

No way this will ever happen, but I want Jerry Lawler to host a David Letterman style late night talk show at 11 pm on the WWE network after Raw. He could monologue, then have a entertainment industry guest, then a wrestler guest and then a band plays a song ans there you have a Late Night with WWE format. 

You want a return of Tuesday Night Titans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

WWE Wrestler Catches Heat Backstage Over Comment During RAW

Big E apparently caught heat backstage when last week he improvised a line about Charlotte beating her father’s 16-time World Title reign within a month. The remark did not go over well with some people backstage and by clicking the  video from the WWE YouTube page on the link below, you can see that the line was removed.

http://wrestlechat.net/report-big-e-gets-heat-for-comment-about-charlotte-from-this-past-mondays-raw/

He had a very valid point though. The writers should be blamed for allowing that to even happen.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You want a return of Tuesday Night Titans.

More like a return of Lalwer's late night Memphis tal show fro mthe 80s which was not afraid to use Kayyfab (like when Eddie Gilbert took it over after injuring Lawler)

James

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, J.H. said:

More like a return of Lalwer's late night Memphis tal show fro mthe 80s which was not afraid to use Kayyfab (like when Eddie Gilbert took it over after injuring Lawler)

James

He can have his girlfriend pick football games, like Paula Lawler did on the old show.

• Like 1

Here's my pitch to Vince McMahon:

The Daily Show on Comedy Central hurts the Raw overrun. The only good part of the Daily show is the first segment. That saps viewers away from the overrun Raw main event. It does. The Daily Show /@Midnight block kills the coveted overrun segment. But while Jon Stewart was untouchable, Trevor is far weaker. Now is the time! While Trevor suffers in the ratings, even though monday is his best material. Late Night with Jerry Lawler comes on right after the overrun. Instead of that mindless Christly piece of shit. Hurt Comedy Central on mondays by hiring some comedy writers and using the talent and studios you already have! strengthen the overrun segment by stopping them from changing the channel to watch Trevor. Jon Stewart/Colbert Report was a tank. Trevor/Hardwick is a fragile fishbowl. If Lawler only comes on only one night a week, and Fallon is on every weeknight, who are you going to watch?

...and on the final episode of Christly, have Christly, the cast of Modern Family, and those CSI troll clowns all get buried in cement like Paul Bearer, only for real. Late Night with Jerry Lawler saves USA from itself.

Could you imagine if USA booked RAW? Brock Lesnar would be a bad-actor-cop with ten annoying kids and Seth Rollins would have a quirky yet sweet gay-married husband who interrogates prostitute murderers. Every other day I find some USA programming in the cats litter box. I put it in a bag and take it to the dumpster. If the cat eats tuna she leaves me a Christly to scoop out of the box.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 7:08 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

And he was given an opportunity to run with the character and have plenty of screen time to flesh out a real feud with Dolph and also Bryan.

On RAW his typical storyline was:  Lose to challenger, beat challenger, move on. No weight. No stakes. No reason. Just two dudes fighting and trading wins. See: Rollins/Jericho/Owens/Reigns

I think he is at the right level too. They aren't trying to push him as being tough. They went full on wimp scraping by.

Are the Spirit Squad under contract? It seems strange Kenny and Mikey are deemed washed up in their early thirties. 

4 hours ago, Matt788 said:

Here's my pitch to Vince McMahon:

The Daily Show on Comedy Central hurts the Raw overrun. The only good part of the Daily show is the first segment. That saps viewers away from the overrun Raw main event. It does. The Daily Show /@Midnight block kills the coveted overrun segment. But while Jon Stewart was untouchable, Trevor is far weaker. Now is the time! While Trevor suffers in the ratings, even though monday is his best material. Late Night with Jerry Lawler comes on right after the overrun. Instead of that mindless Christly piece of shit. Hurt Comedy Central on mondays by hiring some comedy writers and using the talent and studios you already have! strengthen the overrun segment by stopping them from changing the channel to watch Trevor. Jon Stewart/Colbert Report was a tank. Trevor/Hardwick is a fragile fishbowl. If Lawler only comes on only one night a week, and Fallon is on every weeknight, who are you going to watch?

...and on the final episode of Christly, have Christly, the cast of Modern Family, and those CSI troll clowns all get buried in cement like Paul Bearer, only for real. Late Night with Jerry Lawler saves USA from itself.

Could you imagine if USA booked RAW? Brock Lesnar would be a bad-actor-cop with ten annoying kids and Seth Rollins would have a quirky yet sweet gay-married husband who interrogates prostitute murderers. Every other day I find some USA programming in the cats litter box. I put it in a bag and take it to the dumpster. If the cat eats tuna she leaves me a Christly to scoop out of the box.

Is Lawler going to be doing liberal agitprop pretending to be comedy too?