DVDVR Message Board

Good Matches Ruined By HORRIBLE Commentary

Thomas Bugg

12 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

This reminds me...Perhaps not a popular opinion, and it's in no way a slight on his classic WWF/E calls, but I find Jim Ross on the AXS New Japan broadcasts to be awful. He's working the Podcast J.R. gimmick. 

I was going to post something similar about JR's commentary.  He's always "one step forward, two steps back" for me.  As in, for every good call, he makes two bad calls, uses unnecessary catchphrases, or hamfistedly ties the action in the ring to something related to a "real sport" like FOOTBAW.  He always struck me as a guys who wished he's gotten into football commentary instead of calling bouts between men in their underwear pretending to fight.  Whenever he makes up a football background for a wrestler (sorry, Stan Hansen never played for the Colts) or ties wrestling to something non-wrestling, it's obvious he's embarrassed to be here.

12 hours ago, Matt788 said:

I know many disagree but I think Steve Corino is killing ROH television. His voice is bad and his take on the events unfolding in the ring are always dumb. He would be a perfect heel manager for the Addiction or some other heels. Get him off commentary and put him ringside where he belongs.

Joe Rogan from UFC always acts like he just had a testosterone injection for the first time in his life and he doesn't know how to handle it. Like today is his first time in his life that he ever had a erection and now he wants to annoyingly explain a fight. UFC could save a lot of money by replacing him with an actual chimp.

You got your wish re: Corino, as he's headed to NXT as a trainer.

Your Rogan take was hilarious.  He's the perfect commentator for the lowest common denominator of MMA fans.  Call him Bro Rogan, I guess.

• Like 1

Sometimes I see nostalgia for them, but to me Tenay and West were so, so bad for most of their TNA run. They would never, ever shut up and Don West would explain things that are going on right in front of your eyes. "LOOK AT KAREN ANGLE WALKING AROUND THE RING WITH THAT LOOK ON HER FACE, SHE'S SO ARROGANT". (I wish there was something called caps-caps, I think that's what I need here).

It's not a radio broadcast Don. We can see what is happening.

18 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Every single match called by Jerry Lawler.

In watching everything old, he was never good, he was always absoultly terrible in every way.  I have no idea how he kept his WWE job for damn near 20 years.

Because anyone better was dead or not taking their calls?

Barnett manages to rein in JR just enough to allow you to watch World Pro. But please, PLEASE, STOP WITH THE GODDAMN CLOSED FIST BULLSHIT. PLEASE.

I was wondering why Brain didn't just go back to WWF in place of Lawler when he was so miserable and then realized he was making a fortune in comparison and Lawler was already locked in. Then again, I don't think Heenan doing Attitude-era commentary would make him any happier, and WCW didn't mind him coming in sauced. 

17 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Superstar Billy Graham was a huge disappointment for me, adding nothing and besmirching the use of the word "daddy" and destroying his legacy as a talker. To be honest however, fitting with the theme of the thread, I cannot recall if any of the matches he did color on were worthwhile anyway, with or without his blathering (steroids apparently do not enhance one's creativity).

- daddy,

RAF

My favorite Graham commentary moment was when he kept insisting that Elizabeth needed to bulk up. I wish I could remember the match but it's on the Network for sure. He said she needed to get bigger to combat the other managers and that she would still look good with muscles. He was basically telling her to take roids. I can't remember the match but I think it was Macho vs. Akeem or Bossman b/c I believe Slick was the manager he was talking about that Elizabeth needed to combat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who was the old guy they stuck on color for one of the Manias or something who kept babbling about how much the wrestlers weighed and shit? Were there and good matches on that card that he ruined?

That was Art Donavan, was at KOTR '93.  Last I saw there were some good matches on there, but can't pinpoint any that would have been ruined by him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That was Art Donavan, was at KOTR '93.  Last I saw there were some good matches on there, but can't pinpoint any that would have been ruined by him.

I don't care for the term botchamania, but here's this:

• Like 7

That video makes me so happy.

Speaking of FMW Tokyopop commentary, pretty much all the Japanese commentary teams that would be dubbed in and just have casual conversations over the matches can lick my balls. Instead of hearing great crowd reactions and the sound of slams, you hear two dolts laughing it up over people damn near killing themselves. 

5 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

because I'm looking out for a fellow Greek wrestling fan, it was KOTR '94

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

because I'm looking out for a fellow Greek wrestling fan, it was KOTR '94

D'oh!   Thank you, sir, forgot it was the '94 one.

I still wish I knew about this before meeting Art at a Christmas party.  Granted I was young and unaware of this then, but still a missed opportunity.

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

D'oh!   Thank you, sir, forgot it was the '94 one.

I still wish I knew about this before meeting Art at a Christmas party.  Granted I was young and unaware of this then, but still a missed opportunity.

I hear when Art Donovan's family made his funeral arrangements, they asked how much each casket weighed.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Survivor Series 1990 and Royal Rumble 1991 were two of my favorite PPVs as a kid, but holy shit, rewatching them now, Roddy Piper is fucking atrocious on them. 

It's Piper on commentary, so I think we all know what made him so annoying. 

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

My favorite Graham commentary moment was when he kept insisting that Elizabeth needed to bulk up. I wish I could remember the match but it's on the Network for sure. He said she needed to get bigger to combat the other managers and that she would still look good with muscles. He was basically telling her to take roids. I can't remember the match but I think it was Macho vs. Akeem or Bossman b/c I believe Slick was the manager he was talking about that Elizabeth needed to combat.

I want to say it was a Savage / DiBiase match from their '88 series at MSG.

Matt Stryker over explains and tries to use logic to explain what shit does and the purpose of things as if he is trying to convince himself. Dude, we know wrestling is scripted and it is theater. Also, when he is unchained, he goes into random monologues of right wing politics and starts spouting as if he is Glenn Beck...on commentary.

Mike Tenay likes exposition because he researches shit although very little of what he says enhances the match.

Cole is stuck between acting like he has not watching wrestling for 20+ years and shows little to no knowledge about it, whether it is intentional or not depends on your interpretation. Also, when he is heel. Motherfuck his heeling persona as it was like having an anti-smark "smark" watching with you.Then there was him trying to out "journalistic" other commentators. It went on for far too long and ruined matches because this motherfucker would not shut up about how great WWE establishment is when he is living proof of otherwise.

I never liked Lawyer. Never. I would not surprised that there has not been several sexual assault suits at his way because dude is beyond creepy perv and I am glad that the WWE took him off commentary.

I prefer my commentators inoffensive and not noticeable, but if they are noticed, they enhance the match. I like Mauro when dude stops dropping rap reference, although I appreciate it because I am a huge hip-hop fan. I love Corey Graves because dude is legitimately funny. Tazz in Smackdown, personally was cool and seemed down although I heard complaints about him. 

My favorite commentating team so far has been Mauro and Daniel Bryan. They saved matches in the CWC that involved Hoho Lun or were just passable.

Right now, I cannot stand Vampiro aka "the Darkside gets my dick hard and I say it out loud because I do not understand how unnecessary it is." Creepy fucking bastard.

13 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Mauro trying to figure out where he can squeeze in his aging-white-dude hip-hop references grows more irritating with each episode of SDL.

I really want to believe that it's not him doing that shit. Well it is, but remember he's got a headset and somebody in production- more than likely the Bucky Beaver motherfucker- is telling him to put those annoying references in, because when he called New Japan matches on AXS TV I don't remember him doing that one time.

15 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

Sometimes I see nostalgia for them, but to me Tenay and West were so, so bad for most of their TNA run. They would never, ever shut up and Don West would explain things that are going on right in front of your eyes. "LOOK AT KAREN ANGLE WALKING AROUND THE RING WITH THAT LOOK ON HER FACE, SHE'S SO ARROGANT". (I wish there was something called caps-caps, I think that's what I need here).

It's not a radio broadcast Don. We can see what is happening.

I thought Don West was really great at covering for blown spots, which is a rare and important trait for an announcer to have. 

• Like 1

My favorite commentating team so far has been Mauro and Daniel Bryan.

Don't mean to be ranking on you again, but man you need to watch more commentating teams. At the same time all your complaints are super on point, so hey :)

Mauro and Warmaster should be the AXS team but JR probably needs the money and Mauro is getting more money so I can't complain. And hey, two episodes of World Pro tonight and only ONE count'em ONE Dr. Death reference (brought up by Warmaster) and ONE count'em ONE Bill Watts reference! Not a single CLOSED FIST reference!!! 

On 12/1/2016 at 11:46 PM, sydneybrown said:

My opinion of Michael Cole changed with his 24/7 commentary of the 1980 Shea Stadium show with Mick Foley.  I think it's as close to the real Cole as you'll ever see.  The Shea Stadium show isn't particularly good but Cole and Foley make it more memorable.  It's just two guys bullshitting over a classic show.    This as close as WWE will get to the Wrestling Gold series.

I've found that on some of the DVD commentaries he's done cole it way better