DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell VIII

Dolfan in NYC

I feel the main had a really good story underpinning it, but the execution was off.

All three Cell matches were at least decent. But I'm sick of prop "violence" instead of pro wrestling violence. Hell in a Cell used to have an aura of danger.

• Like 6

That women's match was awesome. What a fucking story. Evil Charlotte getting the jump early on Sasha's back. Sasha having to use all of her guile and resourcefulness (complete with Eddie Tribute) to get back into it. But then her back gives out at the end and The Queen sees a quick way to win. Amazing stuff.

• Like 5

I thought the Main Event was great. A physical and violent battle between two people who hated each other. They told a really good story with the back. Every move felt huge and impactful. Charlotte's character work is top notch. The finish was flat for the building but I can't put that on the performers. I'd easily have it in my Top 10 WWE matches for the year.

The rest of the card was just okay.

• Like 4

Surprised I'm alone in thinking the main event sucked.

The entire match was extremely predictable and the spots were extensively sloppy and badly executed.

I felt the entire stretcher drama went on for way to long.

The crowd seemed dead for a lot of the match too.

Unfortunate honestly. I feel they could've done better.

Just now, Edwin said:

The entire match was extremely predictable and the spots were extensively sloppy and badly executed.

Nah, I thought it was a god awful mess. 

• Like 2

There were way too many table spots on this PPV. The fundamental absurdity of taking five minutes to set up a table when you can just pin someone is bad enough when it happens once, but it's even more egregious when it happens over and over again.

As for why Charlotte went over, my guess is that they're trying to build up the whole undefeated on PPV thing so it's a huge deal when Bayley beats her for the title at Wrestlemania. At least, that's what I hope it is.

Thought the main event was set up poorly and basically told a story of Sasha not being able to hang with Charlotte in that environment or when it matters. The finish really lacked the necessary drama too. Scott Hall and Bret have done similar finishes with much better selling of the situation.

I liked Rusev/Reigns, that was pretty good, albeit an ordinary ending.

i had no problems with the new day finish. they booked themselves into a corner needed to keep Cesaro and Shameus strong but keep the belts on New Day.

the main was ok a bit sloppy t times and the finish killed the crowd dead

Book/Kendrick just had great heated segment on talking raw or whatever it's called. 

Main event was uncomfortable to watch, utterly vicious in execution and got a little discombobulated during the end stretch. Should have saw the finish coming a mile away really, but I enjoyed it for what it was. 

Nothing too stinking on this show, all the cell matches are worth your time. 

11 minutes ago, Edwin said:

You're not alone. Despite there being some good parts (i dug the pre-match brawl), I thought it ran way too long and I kept feeling like I've seen them do better. 

• Like 1

The pre-match heat was the best argument for Sasha/Charlotte main eventing; the ending was the best argument against it. Still, they were the only title match that didn't receive chants for local sports teams, and I mostly liked it. If things were reversed, and we got Sasha winning the title after a long chase, I think I'd love it. But, well, we didn't. 

12 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Every move felt huge and impactful.

Really? I thought a lot of Charlotte's offense was looked more effective when she actually connected.

Sasha's offense just looked like she hurt herself more executing it than her opponent.

I wouldn't say they felt huge. A lot of them felt extremely weak.

14 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

The finish was flat for the building but I can't put that on the performers.

That last table spot was cringeworthy. Sabu breaking table cringeworthy. So I partially put it on the performers as that obviously wasn't the planned finish. I'm sure they were looking for one more big table spot for the finish, but they couldn't pull it off as the table didn't break.

11 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

As for why Charlotte went over, my guess is that they're trying to build up the whole undefeated on PPV thing so it's a huge deal when Bayley beats her for the title at Wrestlemania. At least, that's what I hope it is.

Nah, knowing the WWE, they're going to try and bank in on Bayley vs. Sasha at WM as they try to have them recreate their NXT Brooklyn I match on a much bigger stage.

Roman/Rusev built was good but unremarkable. Bayley/Dana was pretty solid and the best Dana has looked since arriving on the main roster. Owen/Rollins was good. Kendrick/TJP was nice while it lasted, but damn was it heatless. The tag titles match was nice enough save for the ending. Charlotte/Sasha was great up until that flat ending. Not sure why the hell Charlotte is champ again. She is one of my favorite wrestlers in WWE right now but damn did I not need to see her hold the belt again.

I am confused about people complaining about the main event being a sloppy mess and at the same time criticizing the Rollins vs Owens match for spending too much time trying to get their spots ready.   So we want wrestlers to create these elaborate finishes but we need it as fast as possible.   

I still believe that the tables were supposed to break when Sasha was thrown like a rag doll on it.  But even if it wasn't, being thrown on it twice given the back was more believable than the Russev/Reigns and Rollins/Owens finish

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It doesn't sound like there's anything here worth going out of my way to see. Maybe I'll watch the cruiserweight six man.

The cruiserweight six man was alright. Nothing special.

Reigns/Rusev was brutal. Far from great though.

Owens/Rollins was MOTM for me.

However if you want to watch one match, watch the main event. It's received mixed reactions now that I see more people talk about it, so create and voice your own opinion on it.

4 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Seriously, who gives a shit that Charlotte is undefeated on PPVs?  She loses on regular shows, hell, she's lost titles on regular shows.  She's just a person.  She fucking ain't Ric Flair.  And Ric Flair can come out, bow down to her, kiss her feet and Charlotte can beat the shit out of him while Ric blades himself for no reason, she'll never be Ric Flair.  It's all  just so forced.  And it's a stat that no one has ever cared about, and will never care about once she loses.   To Bayley, which we all see coming apparently.

And can we drop this stretcher and neckbrace bullshit?  Because after WMXXX nobody is going to believe it.  You can X yourselves until you have a seizure its not going to matter.  

• Like 4