DVDVR Message Board

Hell In A Cell VIII

Dolfan in NYC

CW 6 man was good stuff.  Just about every guy looked important in there.

Russev/Reigns wasn't bad but the wrong guy won.  If Reigns had passed out while Russev had him in the chain-assisted Accolade then it would have been a much more satisfying match.

E&C/Club and Bayley/Dana were basically just Raw matches.  At first I wasn't big on Enzo & Cass losing in a pretty unceremonious situation, but The Club are in near jobber status at this point and if they're going to be pushed up as serious contenders then they needed a win.  Not to mention E&C are pretty over regardless.

I'm increasingly indifferent to New Day and this was no different.  Cesaro deserves better than a mismatched yet eventually successful tag team.

Good on Kendrick for winning but the match didn't really do that much for me.  Hopefully Kendrick gets a feud with someone who actually has a personality going for them.

The main event wasn't terrible, but 50/50 booking and title changes put a damper on it.  The finish was also really bland compared to how spot filled the rest of the match was.  I hate gimmicked stretcher jobs and this was no exception as it made the whole spectacle drag on even longer.  Sasha really needs to be a heel.

• Like 1

I think Sasha just doesn't weigh enough for that table to break without falling from higher up.

I actually thought the finish worked in a vacuum. Those two bumps, especially the second one, were brutal, and her falling into position for Natural Selection didn't seem contrived. I just didn't expect it to be the finish.

• Like 2

Didn't watch the show yet (Cubs), but I did flip the PPV on.... just in time to catch the end of TJP-Kendrick.

Yeah.... I feel like an idiot for turning off the WS for.... that.

TJP is the only person alive who didn't see that finish coming.

• Like 2

The main event was weird.  The stretcher bit went WAY too long.  Sasha sold the back injury to a point, but not enough at times.  I thought Charlotte looked decent for the most part, Sasha seemed a bit off.  Both were sloppy at times.  That table botch was BAD.  Ultimately, it felt disjointed and the ending fell flat.

I think they put it on Charlotte again because she has the better character between her and Sasha.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sasha undergoes some sort of transformation that allows her to be more of a true Boss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am confused about people complaining about the main event being a sloppy mess and at the same time criticizing the Rollins vs Owens match for spending too much time trying to get their spots ready.   So we want wrestlers to create these elaborate finishes but we need it as fast as possible.   

I'm good without the absurdly outlandish spots that only work if you grind the match to a stop while you set them up, personally. Especially in a singles match where you can't use other people to cover for the setup.

• Like 2

Sasha needs to turn tomorrow night. She shouldn't continue as a face. She doesn't work that well as a face. Sure she gets overly emotional in big matches and shows face tendencies, but she's much better off as a snotty heel.

She can turn on Bayley or whatever other face they have on RAW tomorrow and attack them and have her mention how she feels betrayed by the fans as she sees them supporting Bayley or whoever other face they have after she sacrified her wellbeing for them at HIAC against Charlotte.

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am confused about people complaining about the main event being a sloppy mess and at the same time criticizing the Rollins vs Owens match for spending too much time trying to get their spots ready.   So we want wrestlers to create these elaborate finishes but we need it as fast as possible.   

I still believe that the tables were supposed to break when Sasha was thrown like a rag doll on it.  But even if it wasn't, being thrown on it twice given the back was more believable than the Russev/Reigns and Rollins/Owens finish

No, I'd rather they spend the time used to set up tables to punch their opponent in the fucking mouth and show that they hate them.

• Like 3

The crowd popped huge when Sasha got up off the stretcher so I'd say it worked in the moment. I don't think the table botch was that big of a deal. Stuff doesn't go perfectly when people fall into stuff. It's not like someone botched a springboard or almost dropped someone on their head trying a power bomb. It was just a table not doing what you wanted it to.

• Like 1

I don't know how you can't watch that match and not think they didn't hate each other.  Or at the very least Charlotte making you hate her more.   

The stretcher job definitely should have been shortened but they kind of have to have it.  They are stuck in a rut where they can't figure out a way to go from "wrestler in seriously injured" to "still wants to fight and continue" without serious stalling

In hindsight the Owens Rollins match definitely should have gone last. I hated the contrived stretcher spot at the beginning, and that was such a flat finish. And this rivalry just goes on and on, they should have saved the first women's main event for a really hot matchup. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

The crowd popped huge when Sasha got up off the stretcher so I'd say it worked in the moment. I don't think the table botch was that big of a deal. Stuff doesn't go perfectly when people fall into stuff. It's not like someone botched a springboard or almost dropped someone on their head trying a power bomb. It was just a table not doing what you wanted it to.

Reminds me, Charlotte botched table spot from the ring apron to the table on the outside between the ring and the cell looked very weak too.

I thought Sasha was going to dive with her double knee to the chest spot she does usually which KUDO used to do in DDT. I guess that was the only thing I predicted would happen that didn't.

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I don't know how you can't watch that match and not think they didn't hate each other.  Or at the very least Charlotte making you hate her more.   

I can take Charlotte hating her with the way she flings Sasha around like she doesn't care. Unfortunately Sasha doesn't do that great of job in the opposite roll imo.

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

How is a woman with a history of back problems being thrown through a ringside from pretty high in the air setting up a contrived stretcher spot?

I think the main problem I have with the entire thing is the table bump looked brutal, but the setup was badly timed.

The apron table bump after the superplex tease was definitely botched pretty badly. 

Overall I liked the match, but I didn't love it. Their RAW matches continue to be better than the ppv ones.

Pretty underwhelming show with some terrible finishes and WWE's stupid obsession with streaks and records.

Roman/Rusev went on forever and had no heat because the winner was obvious.

Bayley/Dana was as good as it could have been. I'd say hopefully Bayley can move on, but to what?

The Club got a win finally.

Owens/Rollins was the surprise of the night. I thought they'd be doing either a really quick match or a total dogshit finish when it went on so early. Seth made the apron powerbomb irrelevant by working 100% the whole match. Also, forget the table setup, nothing, and I mean NOTHING was more ridiculous than everyone pretending the mood/intensity of the match changed when Owens ripped two pieces of fucking kinesio tape off Rollins' back. Outside of those complaints though, it was a fine back and forth match with some big spots. The Jericho segment was executed fine where it didn't make Seth look too bad even though it was obvious it would lead to KO winning.

The CW title match was fine except for the stupid finish. Probably for the best to get the belt on Kendrick since TJP isn't getting any heat, but looking like a dope with that kind of loss certainly doesn't help.

New Day had a good promo, but another DQ retain? Come on.

Sasha and Charlotte had everything going right except the finish. The entrances felt like a big deal, but there wasn't any unnecessary pandering, they just let the moment be what it was. The opening cheap shot was good, and I didn't hate the stretcher sequence. Long yes, but it's cliche for a reason. It still got a great pop when Sasha got up. The action inside the cell wasn't perfect, but it was exactly what it needed to be for this match. No egregious botches, and the crowd (which was terrible most of the night) was into it more than anything else. Charlotte winning, though... Just ugh. What a wet fart of an ending that was. I don't understand why she's being booked like 06 John Cena. You have Sasha get a statement win, fans go home happy, Sasha's the ace for a bit, they both move on to other feuds. It's not that hard to write. I'm happy that they got to close the show though. My complaints are only towards the booking and direction, and should not reflect on either of the participants.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I'm just not buying those as botches. The table didn't cooperate. They covered well enough. Maybe I've just seen too much wrestling from before everyone went through perfectly pre-cut tables that broke like nothing.

Sabu killed this. It's either it breaks or he broke it.

I've watched a ton of tables not break, but at least when it didn't break or cooperate in a lot of the other matches, the guys were at least trying to break it.

Charlotte's ring apron spot was just hilarious. She botched as she fell from the the ropes to the ring apron and then Sasha just kicked her and she pretty much just fell on the table or tried to lay on top of the table with little to no impact and the crowd just went blank as they didn't know how to react to it.

Had this happened during Owens/Rollins, they would've booed.

36 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe. I still think the money is in Sasha/Bayley. Probably a heel turn by Sasha out of jealousy.

Yeah, Bailey ending Charlotte's streak at Wrestlemania sounds good in theory, but how do they fill the time between now and then? It's not like they've got a deep roster of women for Charlotte and Bailey to go through in the meantime. Bailey doing what Sasha couldn't in the near future followed by a Sasha heel turn works better,

9 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

How is a woman with a history of back problems being thrown through a ringside from pretty high in the air setting up a contrived stretcher spot?

Every person watching knew that the match wasn't ending like that. It was a waste of time. 

It didn't help that Sasha just pops right back up off the stretcher and runs into the cage to attack and acts like she wasn't seriously injured to the point the match had to be called off just ten seconds earlier. I found her selling of the back inconsistent as all hell throughout that match until the finish.

Of course, the finish was the drizzling shits, so that didn't help either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Every person watching knew that the match wasn't ending like that. It was a waste of time. 

Exactly.  The spot itself is cliche and contrived in general, no matter who does it or what the setup is.  It's especially contrived when it comes at the beginning of the match and it's completely obvious that the person on the stretcher is going to get back up.  It just makes the match drag and when the person who was so hurt they were basically being rushed to the hospital is up and running around and wrestling then it further erodes any suspension of disbelief.

1 minute ago, matt925 said:

I also know that every TV show and movie and comic book and etc. never end at the beginning. It wasn't a waste of time.

1) They set up that Sasha was hurt and hurt bad (and has past injuries).

2) By stretchering Sasha, they also got her right by the entrance for the cage. She managed to get in right away as opposed to the Hulk Up Run Down The Apron spot.

3) Charlotte attacked the back throughout the match. Things like her side slam through the chair and her regular backbreakers looked and felt like death moves.

4) Her accumulated back damage came back to be her downfall at the end of the match.

Far from a waste of time. I thought it was a really great way to get to a crazy spot right at the start of the match that was the through-line for the rest of the match.

• Like 2

Wasn't the stretcher drama also done in the Foley/Taker match?

IIRC and it was also done there, the rehashing it and have it go on that long feels even more pointless than it does.