DVDVR Message Board

RAW 9/5 is The Kevin Owens Show!

Dolfan in NYC

Regardless of the history, having her give that "IT'S NOT JUST BRA AND PANTIES ANYMORE!" speech and then calling someone Ms. Piggy was fucking awful.

Pretty Labor Day-y show. Jericho was great. Would really love him helping a sneaky, dastardly beating of Reigns or Rollins, but it doesn't look like they want that at all. Sure HHH is stealing Rollins from the title scene, and I'm worried Owens is just gonna job out to Reigns before losing the title to a chorus of boos.

I thought Bo was making fun of Strauman and prepping to get squashed, but apparently they were serious about that silliness. Makes me wish he had an angle with his brother where he'd follow up some "BUZZARDS! RUN!" promo by rhyming sow with Bo and Bray getting pissed that he was killing the moment.

8 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I doubt that anyone backstage was trying to send Dana a message with the Miss Piggy taunt, which means Sasha probably ad-libbed it. Yeesh.

And why are they tempting fate with fake retirement speeches after Bryan had to do a tease and an actual one within nearly a year of each other? 

The Edge one is right there too.  Shit the Dudleys just did one a few weeks ago and no one believed that one either.  And it was legit (WWE-wise).  

Hopefully the Piggy taunt was the start of some kind of transitional heel turn because she badly needs it.  I know you all love her but good Lord she was infinitely more badass as a heel than the "let me start tearing up when my good buddy comes out or anything sad happens" routine.  

• Like 1

Thought Foley sounded great in his segments, easily the most interesting since he came in for the GM roll. Jericho & Owens continue to be highlights. Seth sounded a lot better as face than he did a heel. Didn't pay too much attention to Jericho/Seth though what I saw was better than I expected.

Charlotte/Bayley was a fine match that gave little away. Could have done w/o the fake retirement segment for Sasha, but it at least brought the crowd a bit more alive for the rematch with Charlotte. It does feel weird though that they had Bayley beat Charlotte if Sasha is gettign her rematch at COC.

It was nice to see Bo & Alicia given some direction while also doing something a little different with the resident monsters of Nia & Braun.

Sami/Owens was good though they should have waited longer for the two to wrestle again. I was starting to wonder what was up with Roman considering how long it took for him to show. I'm sort of hoping they transition either back to Rusev or against Jericho.

Thought the show was decent enough though the lack of Rusev on this show was disappointing.

Calling someone "Miss Piggy" in the WWE is nothing in comparison to what's said on a weekly basis,  it's also something a face would say according to creative. Like when The Rock would say things that could be viewed as homophobic/misogynistic or hell even the promos that Enzo cuts every week. A lot of homophobic stuff in there. I don't like it but if people are still surprised by it I don't see them changing...

I think it would be funny if Cesaro did something that put him in the doghouse so he got beat 4-0 as a way to bury him. Didn't he recently shoot about wanting to be on Smackdown or something? I've not been paying attention lately, so I don't know if it was a work or not. I don't even know when it happened. Did it air on TV?

Jericho/Rollins was fun, Owens/Zayn always is, and seeing Bayley for the first time live was a highlight.

Still, though, odd show to attend, with a crowd that always felt a bit off. A newly crowned heel champ, that a good portion of the crowd is committed to cheering no matter what, opens the show, facing a guy we've been conditioned to boo for a couple years--except for that portion of the audience that never did. A Bo Dallas squash. Sin Cara botching the count out finish. Sasha's segment, which, while reasonably well played on her part, was draining. The Old Day was awful. The show really, really felt its length. Cruiserweights look good though!

10 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Sami/Owens was good though they should have waited longer for the two to wrestle again. I was starting to wonder what was up with Roman considering how long it took for him to show. I'm sort of hoping they transition either back to Rusev or against Jericho.

Thought the show was decent enough though the lack of Rusev on this show was disappointing.

I would like a conclusion to Rusev/Reigns, but I don't know if it's worth it at this point. The Balor injury really threw a wrench into months of planning. Reigns beat Rusev clean on Raw 3 weeks ago, then beat RuRu like he stole something at Summerslam. Now with the honeymoon taking place, that's almost a month where R&R haven't interacted.  I was hoping to see a HIAC between the two, but not sure that can happen with where they currently are storywise.

Even with KO's interference two weeks ago, Reigns beat Jericho clean in the Raw main event. So not sure if a PPV match is worth anyone's time.  That's probably what we'll get and it'll be really good, but it's just having Roman grind his gears when the main event is so sparse.  They only have 3 guys who fill that part of the card (4 if HHH is included).

A KO/Reigns feud wouldn't be bad.  The dynamics could be interesting in that with Rollins, KO sees someone he can bully and mock.  If they went back to the shades of gray playbook they used for the RR/Styles matches, they can position Roman as a bigger bully of sorts and that puts KO in an unfamiliar position.  Meanwhile, HHH pushes around Rollins for being a disappointing son, eventually leading to their big match.

Still hate that a Pedigree from Triple H automatically makes Rollins a face, one week after he was bragging about taking out the fan's hero Finn Balor.

Jericho was fun as usual and I liked Alicia Fox's little scene. Other than that, not a very good show with a bunch of awful.

Sheamus has established dominance, so it's gonna suck if he's losing three straight to an apparently very injured Cesaro. Match 4 takes place at a house show in London on Wednesday, probably so they can time it to have match 7 happen at the Clash.

So, a friend on the east coast messages me, "I just saw the worst segment ever."

I start to watch the show, and they begin with that Foley/Steph bit about the girl with the innocent smile and it's like Mick is two seconds away from walking away to the music from The Hulk and finally it ends and I'm like "okay, that was pretty bad," thinking I dunno if that's the WORST ever but I can forgive a bit of mild hyperbole and anyway at least the worst was over.

I was so, so wrong.

• Like 4

So this happened-

As RAW went off the air, Owens teamed up with Jericho and attacked Reigns. The duo went on to beat Reigns down when Seth Rollins hit the ring to make the save. Owens and Jericho retreated from the ring in a scene that was reminiscent of the S.H.I.E.L.D. days. In a shocker, Rollins’s efforts weren’t appreciated by Reigns as he speared Rollins and celebrated in typical Roman Reigns style to end the show.

Since post-show stuff tends to get the house show treatment, who knows if it actually means anything or not.

It would be easy enough to get Reigns away from the main event scene.  Russev still has unfinished business with him as the last time they met, Reigns left him beaten down without even starting the match.  Russev costing Reigns his title shot match next week then whaling on him afterwards would make sense kayfabe wise and set up a way to blow off their feud.

Well, Roman is The Guy. He doesn't need help from anyone...duh.

Man, this show started off good enough and slowly but surely it went down...down...down. I'm trying to remember if WCW would have a non-title match between people before a PPV. I mean they did huge matches on Nitro instead of PPV, but they were just trying to get people to watch. This Bayley/Charlotte match might have been interesting in last week Charlotte said "i'm gonna have to show you how it's done Dana" and they built it up since then on the websites and such.

Bayley sells better than 98% of the roster. I might go 99% of the roster. She didn't suddenly forget that he knee was hurting and suddenly stand on it when doing her flury moves. It's amazing how many people in the company can't even do simple things like that.

I really think Gallows and Anderson are suffering from "Being Over Elsewhereitis". It must have annoyed a few people in the WWE to see Bullet Club shirts on TV. Hell, people were chanting it a few times on tv. So The Old Day and the stuff they have been doing is their penance for making themselves something outside the E. A logical company would have used this for good. Continued The Club. But the WWE just loves to say "you weren't shit elsewhere" (unless you're lucky like AJ Styles and are so hot they can't ignore it).

The Sasha thing could have went a few ways. When Dana came out I thought for sure Bayley was about to get attacked by Sasha because she is the embodiment of Sting and all. I'm glad that didn't happen and Sasha is back so it's not the worst and she's not out. I guess they're gonna throw Bayley/Sasha at each other sooner rather than later.

Owens/Sami was a fun match as usual. Sami is up there with Bayley when it comes to selling. Owens is just such a great jerk. I love it. It would have been nice to have a Roman free show, but we can't win them all. As weird/bad as this show was if Owens does the impossible next week and beats Reigns (and clean no less) it will make up for at leas The Old Day stuff.

• Like 1

Man, this show started off good enough and slowly but surely it went down...down...down. I'm trying to remember if WCW would have a non-title match between people before a PPV. I mean they did huge matches on Nitro instead of PPV, but they were just trying to get people to watch. This Bayley/Charlotte match might have been interesting in last week Charlotte said "i'm gonna have to show you how it's done Dana" and they built it up since then on the websites and such.

You do realize Charlotte isn't facing Bayley for the belt at the next ppv, right?

I really think Gallows and Anderson are suffering from "Being Over Elsewhereitis". It must have annoyed a few people in the WWE to see Bullet Club shirts on TV. Hell, people were chanting it a few times on tv. So The Old Day and the stuff they have been doing is their penance for making themselves something outside the E. A logical company would have used this for good. Continued The Club. But the WWE just loves to say "you weren't shit elsewhere" (unless you're lucky like AJ Styles and are so hot they can't ignore it).

This is weirdly paranoid.

The plan was Bayley/Charlotte they just hadn't announced it yet then Sasha didn't need surgery so they went back to that well

Most likely - Charlotte working on Bayley's knee will be a kayfabe reason to keep her (Bayley) off TV until after Clash

EDIT - Though both Meltzer and Alvarez remember it being announced last week that Bayley was getting a title match (and Alvarez said that the WWE.com show report from a previous RAW also said it was Bayley/Charlotte at Clash). So yeah - they totally changed it and hope you don't remember

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Rusev and Lana are on their honeymoon.

Rusev also tweeted that it is a 23 day Honeymoon.

Take it for what it's worth but that means he isn't gonna be on the Clash.

Which is amusing that the US Champ wouldn't be on a show labelled Clash of Champions

8 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

I think the Benoit/Booker one was actually pretty even throughout, but I could be misremembering. 

Pretty sure that you're right. Also, I recall it being booked very well to the point you really weren't sure who was going over as there were compelling reasons for either man to win. (Hey, a wrestling angle that you could actually get invested in because it was well booked! Imagine that!)