DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

ZSJ is absolutely not my pick for this, but with all of the fresh talent they have right now they need to pick a guy, get his submission finisher over as inescapable death, and have them tap Brock out with it. Joe would be the obvious choice, but I don't know if giving that rub to someone in the back half of their career is wise. My larger point is if they can get grappling and the notion of technicians being dangerous over that goes a long way to assisting suspension of disbelief since they're swarming with smaller guys now. 

Nakamura would be my pick. They could re-do Takada/Vader with Nakamura breaking Lesnar's arm with the Cross Arm Breaker.

40 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

"We're pretty sure you want to die in the ring, Bryan, so we're going to respect your wishes."

If WWE announced a Bryan/Brock match for an upcoming Pay-Per-View, the buys would be huge because people are sick fucks and they want to see someone die/be seriously injured.

Tell Vince that and he'd probably consider it.

10 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Brock is pretty much Andre at this point. A special attraction. I'd have him do 2 vs 1 matches, and for the love of God get Heyman some other people to manage. What an absolute waste of talent.

The difference is that Andre was a far superior professional wrestler. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

There was a lot of discussion back during Punk vs Brock how unbelievable it was that Punk could possibly be any threat to Brock.

This was the lowest point in DVDVR history. Seriously like half Raw threads would be taken up by people unironically arguing that a small guy can't beat a big guy in professional wrestling because it didn't look realistic. Thanks for triggering me.

With ZSJ, he just needs to beat some more established names and his credibility in the WWE context will rise. He got 3 wins in the CWC, but they were all over people who were equally un-established in WWE. If he got an NXT push like any other top NXT guy the last 2 years, credibility wouldn't be an issue.

I would have Brock get pissed at Heyman, kick his ass really bad and have Paul go away for 6 months or so. Have Paul come back to TV and say that He will seek revenge against Brock and challenge him at a Summer Slam type of PPV.  Then have Heyman come out with Luke Harper and go all hillbilly crazy on Lesnar and a new star is made.

You want some faction to wear him down in a 3 or 4 on 1 scenario and the factions leader pin the wounded bear.

A Shield reunion where each hates each other but united for the common purpose of taking down the guy who has gotten in the way of each of them would work nicely. 

Gable is the better performer, and is also far more over of the duo. Jordan clearly tagged along for the ride to the point that he's now over- but he's still behind Gable in terms of who the fans want to see. 

That said, Jordan will probably be the first to get pushed solo, he will fail, and meanwhile Gable will develop that more natural following and prove to be the bigger draw of the two... but he'll be too broken down to have a serious run by that point.

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

You're going to regret saying that when Shane beats Brock.

If that happens, I will thoroughly enjoy it. 

35 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Do people think that Gable or Jordan has the higher upside?

Jordan's got size, babyface fire, and real wrestler cred, so him.

I think Jordan and Gable are both a couple years away from breaking out as singles. They both have certain things they do very well, but they also lack some important things the other one provides. That's why they're an ideal tag team at the moment.

As other have mentioned, Jordan lacks the charisma to stand alone. People forget he was an Angelo Dawkins level guy in NXT for like 2 years before he teamed with Gable. He seems to be finding himself a little bit, but I wouldn't be too quick to pull him away from the guy that's bringing out his personality. It's an even more extreme version off Cass/Enzo. There's also legitimate questions about how good he would be in the early stages of a match or if he had to sell since he isn't asked to do those things regularly.

On the other side, Gable needs Jordan's intensity and impact in the ring. Gable's got some really smooth mat-based offense, but none of it looks like it hurts. You'd think him doing the same sequences every match with no real reason or transitioning would draw criticism similar to what ZSJ gets, but it never does. I think that would get exposed more in singles than it does in tags. He busted out a nice chaos theory against the Revival once, but right now it's tough to see what he has that would really amp up a finishing stretch by himself.

A reunited Shield taking down Lesnar is a solid idea, but I don't see it happening.  Lesnar ragdolled Rollins at last year's Battleground after HHH sicced Brock on Seth. Crossfit Crippler is no threat. And Brock didn't show Ambrose an ounce of respect at WM.

There was a rumor going around that Shane would recruit a wrestler to be his champion to take down Brock, and that the guy wasn't on the SDL roster at this time.  That leaves three reasonable choices:  Samoa Joe, Nakamura, and Reigns.  I don't see them going with Joe.  Nakamura is interesting and could depend on how quickly they plan on him dropping the NXT title.  He's got a shot at this, but I don't know how good that shot is.  Reigns is the most logical and even after almost two years, still in the best spot of anyone to take down Lesnar.

If they follow through with Miz wanting to be traded to Raw because he's tired of dealing with Bryan, make the even exchange of Miz w/ the IC title with a newly crowned US champ Reigns. Have Reigns mow down a few guys while Brock/Heyman taunt Shane.  Bryan mentions to Shane that Reigns is the only guy who went against Lesnar and didn't curl into a fetal position from the beatdown he took.  That he kept egging on Brock and was finding a way to stay in the match until Rollins cashed in.  That Reigns can withstand the physical toll of the match, but also has enough of the crazy/DGAF factor to push Brock to his limits.

Lesnar/Reigns II at WM 33 with Roman going over.  Reigns then goes after the World title-carrying John Cena at 2017 SummerSlam.  They could do all of this within a year with Reigns then becoming incredibly arrogant over his accomplishments and leading up to a better version of a Shield triple threat at WM 34 as Rollins and Ambrose team up to take down their power-drunk brother.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

There was a lot of discussion back during Punk vs Brock how unbelievable it was that Punk could possibly be any threat to Brock. Most of that talk was before the match, not after.

It was a spectacle but it doesn't hold up for me on second viewing. Brock is just selling and selling this weak offense and Heyman has to get involved and Punk is being dumb and allowing Heyman to distract him for several minutes. It's a pretty overrated deal,  Cena/Bryan from the same show smokes it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Do people think that Gable or Jordan has the higher upside?

Neither right now. Gable is more charismatic, but he lacks Jordan's intensity. Gable gets touted as being better in the ring, but I don't know if I really buy it. Jordan always seemed to be held back a bit in NXT and has done fine when actually being given the chance to work the brunt of their tag matches. Both seem to play well off of each other character wise, but who knows how well they would do w/o each other. I think its too early to tell.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

It's weird, I know Nak/Brock makes sense, but the match that I've wanted to see since he got signed was Nak/Roman. I think they'd beat the ever loving shit out of each other, and Roman thrives in that environment. 

I'm totally with you on this one. Honestly the matches I want to see the most right now from Nakamura are vs. Roman and Cena. I feel the same with Joe as well.

Jordan's got a lot of raw talent, and he's really fortunate to be part of the performance center/NXT generation. Twenty years ago he would have kicked around the Power Plant and Saturday Night for a few years and gotten a job in finance or something. 

Gable looked like a star as soon as he was on television doing three minute sprint jobs. 

I think the sky is the limit for both, even if I personally like watching Gable more. 

• Like 1