DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

47 minutes ago, DTTW said:

That's what Dave was disputing and while I respect Dave, I'm suspect how he thinks he knows about Bryan's medical records to dispute them. Now Bryan could be telling a lie but it wouldn't make much sense.

I tend to disregard anything Bryan says about what doctors have told him.  He's admitted to a host of symptoms - at least 10 documented concussions, recurring seizures, numbness, etc. - that I have trouble believing any test would find that he's fine and fit for a dangerous physical activity.  The risk of putting him back in the ring far outweighs any benefit.  I think Bryan's in denial and is going to grasp at straws until he gets what he wants.

Would we even be having this discussion if this were any other sport/business/promotion besides wrestling?  I mean, is there any chance at all Bryan could get cleared to fight MMA? Play a pro sport? Box or do anything else which is more closely regulated?  My impression is that Bryan would be permanently sidelined in most sports (& similar) and this wouldn't even be a talking point.  I can't imagine an NFL player with Bryan's history getting back on the field regardless of what the neuro tests he took yesterday say.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

In retrospect, can someone explain what the hell the purpose of the Lesnar/Orton finish was? They intentionally injured a talent. Lesnar didn't benefit from the finish. Orton certainly didn't from the finish. The payoff is scheduled for a house show.

It seems like I ask myself that question an awful lot.  It seems arbitrary to pick on the Orton match for having an illogical finish.

Here's the WWE list of cruiserweights going to Raw

Outlasting 31 other competitors from all around the globe, the charismatic T.J. Perkins emerged as the winner of the Cruiserweight Classic Wednesday night, and will bring the WWE Cruiserweight Championship to Raw in Memphis … but he won’t be alone.

WWE.com can confirm that the following Cruiserweights are also joining Team Red:

• Brian Kendrick
  • Rich Swann
  • Gran Metalik
  • Cedric Alexander
  • Lince Dorado
  • Noam Dar

Who will we see on the Cruiserweights’ first night on Monday night’s hottest show? You won’t want to miss any of the action as a new division ignites Raw’s New Era.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2016-09-19/article/cruiserweights-arrive-raw?sf36134052=1

I'm just a pinch disappointed. Was hoping Tozawa would come in and that Kendrick might at least do a small feud with the Miz on SDL first. Also thought Alexander was going to be NXT based with the latest spoilers. Still that seems to only be referring to the first night so hopefully others show up.

1 hour ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I tend to disregard anything Bryan says about what doctors have told him.  He's admitted to a host of symptoms - at least 10 documented concussions, recurring seizures, numbness, etc. - that I have trouble believing any test would find that he's fine and fit for a dangerous physical activity.  The risk of putting him back in the ring far outweighs any benefit.  I think Bryan's in denial and is going to grasp at straws until he gets what he wants.

Would we even be having this discussion if this were any other sport/business/promotion besides wrestling?  I mean, is there any chance at all Bryan could get cleared to fight MMA? Play a pro sport? Box or do anything else which is more closely regulated?  My impression is that Bryan would be permanently sidelined in most sports (& similar) and this wouldn't even be a talking point.  I can't imagine an NFL player with Bryan's history getting back on the field regardless of what the neuro tests he took yesterday say.

It seems like I ask myself that question an awful lot.  It seems arbitrary to pick on the Orton match for having an illogical finish.

Bryan's wiki has been scrubbed.  The ruptured eardrum incident has been removed.

Anyway, I question Bryan's mental capacity since he ruptured the eardrum in 2007 and chose to never have it repaired.  Add that into all of the other medical issues and his insistence on wrestling and you realize that he is not playing with a full deck of cards.

Of course, the WWE does not help by doing stupid polls regarding a Bryan comeback.  

http://popspoken.com/entertainment/2015/12/wwe-superstar-daniel-bryan-teaches-gardening-singaporean-children

How is your eyesight and your hearing now?

“I detached my retina in my right eye in 2007 (while wrestling against retired Japanese wrestler Morishima). My vision in my right eye is still a bit blur. I’m a decent kickboxer, but I will never be great, because I can’t see the punches coming from the right that fast. However, neurologists say that I have excellent reaction time. I can get my eardrum (also ruptured in 2007) fixed just liked that, but I will have to take a lot of time off to let it heal.”

It's not like you don't have the time or anything because you are not wrestling.

Dar was already signed before the tournament even started.
Gallagher was probably signed after his good showing in the tournament. So him not being there probably only means he still has some issues to take care of (outstanding Indy bookings, visa paperwork etc.) and will join up later. Same probably goes for Tozawa, too.

Dave's exact quote from the Wednesday radio show"

(Alvarez reads the quote from the Bryan interview where he says all the doctor's say he is fine.)

Meltzer - "I would have to dispute that. So I will just say that. And... and.. you know, you know I have been very supportive of him throughout this whole thing but (long pause) I would have to dispute that."

Later on he says

"None of us.. uh.. know the right answer... umm...100%. Umm... that's ya know, there is nothing, there is no new knowledge in this case that has not been reported. Everyone knows the whole story. It hasn't changed since the day he made the announcement. Ahh... everything is still exactly the same as it was then.

So I am reading that more is that Dave doesn't KNOW anything that he shouldn't - he is just skeptical like the rest of us that ALL the other doctors have cleared him.

And I have a feeling that Dave has more sources, etc with doctors who are probably agreeing with Dave but they are all making assumptions

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Don Bass (aka Outlaw Ron Bass) has died due to cancer

He was 69 or 70 (depending on the source)

Don Bass isn't the same person as Ron Bass. They were brothers, legit or not I don't know. But it is Don Bass that has passed away.

EDIT: Wikipedia has them has Ron and Don Heard so I imagine legit brothers.

Someone should tell the WON that

Don Bass, a veteran who worked regularly from the early 70s until the end of the territorial era, passed away Friday due to cancer.

It is believed he was 69 or 70 years old.

Details are sketchy, but it is being reported that he recently learned he had cancer several weeks ago, although he had health issues for years.

Bass, whose real name is believed to have been Donald Herd, formed a tag team with younger brother Ronald, as well as Bobby "No Class" Bass, in the Gulf Coast as The Bass Family with Ma Bass as their manager who used a loaded purse to interfere.

Bass' greatest success came in the Tennessee and Gulf Coast areas. While he worked mostly as Don Bass, he worked under a ton of different guises under masks there as well as part of new version of The Assassins, The A-Team, Fire & Flame and an incarnation of The Interns, not the same team that was huge in Tennessee years earlier.

During that era, he regularly teamed with Roger Smith, who had teamed with Jody Hamilton in Georgia, as The Assassins after the retirement of Tom Renesto. Under various names, the Bass & Smith combination won the Southern tag team championship four times in the Tennessee circuit. Before teaming with Smith, his combination held tag team titles in the Gulf Coast and Tennessee. 

Bass, as Outlaw Ron Bass and Cowboy Ron Bass, went on to have a solid singles career in a number of major promotions including Florida, Georgia, and the WWF.

They also used the photo of him as Outlaw

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

So I am reading that more is that Dave doesn't KNOW anything that he shouldn't - he is just skeptical like the rest of us that ALL the other doctors have cleared him.

And I have a feeling that Dave has more sources, etc with doctors who are probably agreeing with Dave but they are all making assumptions

I took it another way. It sounded like he knew something he shouldn't and knowing how well Dave is connected, it wouldn't have been a total surprise, but holy crap that would be one helluva lawsuit.

Aren't doctors not supposed to talk to people about other patients? Without Dave mentioning specifics, it's really hard to say what he knows, or even if he should know what he knows.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Don Bass (aka Outlaw Ron Bass) has died due to cancer

He was 69 or 70 (depending on the source)

I'm glad to learn it wasn't Ron Bass that died. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with Don Bass, but cancer is a fate that only the dregs of society like child molestors and serial killers deserve. 

53 minutes ago, DTTW said:

I took it another way. It sounded like he knew something he shouldn't and knowing how well Dave is connected, it wouldn't have been a total surprise, but holy crap that would be one helluva lawsuit.

Aren't doctors not supposed to talk to people about other patients? Without Dave mentioning specifics, it's really hard to say what he knows, or even if he should know what he knows.

If you read the quote from Daniel that I posted he still has some issues.  Ruptured eardrum, unable to see quick punches from the right, and probably a few more.

Put those together and you understand the WWE's position and why people are hesitant.  

You hear Daniel talk about it and he wants to jump around the ring and land on his head again.

Then you have that Hank Hill moment where you say to yourself, 'That boy ain't right.'

Yes, doctors are not supposed to make diagnosis regarding patients who are not theirs.  

• Like 1

I'm sure if you go in front of enough doctors about something like this, one will tell you what you want to hear. I know it's gotta be hard for Bryan, but he should be thrilled the company's happy in his current role and didn't let him go elsewhere to test his theory that he's OK to wrestle.

• Like 1