DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

Well we have our Nixon like massacre as the attorney general was fired and replaced.  I mean I understand it given she was a Obama person but man this feels like an enemies purge.  Meanwhile Sean Spicer press briefings are nothing more than him talking to the press like children.  

But please stop talking about "well remember the last president that did this".   Nixon was a hell of a politician in terms of being sneaky but he didn't have the complete control that Trump does.  

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well we have our Nixon like massacre as the attorney general was fired and replaced.  I mean I understand it given she was a Obama person but man this feels like an enemies purge.  Meanwhile Sean Spicer press briefings are nothing more than him talking to the press like children.  

But please stop talking about "well remember the last president that did this".   Nixon was a hell of a politician in terms of being sneaky but he didn't have the complete control that Trump does.  

Nixon was an asshole, but he wasn't ignornant, or insane. He also let Kissinger reign in some of his worst tendencies abroad as well(not that either of them were angels). Frankly I'd MUCH rather have Nixon, though it isn't saying much. . .

He delayed and obfuscated for over a year but once the supreme court ruled he had to turn over the tapes Nixon complied.

I can't imagine Trump handing over damning evidence even in the face of an 8-0 decision.  He would declare the Supreme Court "too politicized" and refuse to acknowledge it.

The only thing that ends this is public pressure on Congress that supersedes the threat of Trump tweeting mean things about them.

So since my name isn't on here in an easily traceable way (I'm sure I've referenced my first name and my Steam ID at different times, making it trivial to find me, but whatthefuckever):

I'm a fed employee, as are several others here. I've basically been vibrating with rage since inauguration day, escalating daily.  I feel  angry and sad and scared, and also guilty.  I posted this on 1/18 to my Facebook:

In 40ish hours, federal employees will have a boss (or boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss's boss, anyway) who would be regarded as the villain in a lot of the stories about him. A guy who may or may not have sexually violated women...but if he hasn't he's embarrassed that he hasn't and lies so people will think he has. A guy who looked at a sheet of fake crime statistics created by actual, out-of-the-closet Neo-Nazis for the sole purpose of making white people scared of African-Americans, and said "I'm going to tweet this." A guy who's bragged about the war crimes and child murders he wants to commit in the name of Making America Safe Again, and whose statements about the Federal Reserve indicate he may not actually know the difference between fiscal and monetary policies. A guy who, when confronted with DNA evidence that people he said should be executed couldn't possibly have committed the crime, insisted that the analysis must be at fault and they are totally guilty. And someone who has repeatedly accused them of incompetence, laziness and penury.

In the next several years, it's important that feds never ever forget that at some level, you're helping him make the trains run on time. That doesn't mean you have a moral obligation to quit, or to spend the next years in self-loathing. But remember that your oath is to the Constitution, not individuals. Remember that the Hatch Act doesn't prevent you from speaking publicly, provided no one can infer you speak on behalf of your employer. And remember that sometimes respecting a high office means disrespecting the official holding it.

i'm scared because the people who in 2006-7 were insisting that W was a week from declaring martial law and would never willingly leave office (and that declaration was a week away every week until BHO was sworn in) are saying things about the predator-in-chief that sound plausible, and i have no fucking idea if they're being paranoid or are right. My radar is broken and I can't tell hyperbole from "just because you're paranoid." And I want to quit my job but can't, and want to punch a racist but don't have easy access to any. But in the meantime, I'm helping the deportation train run on time.  And I'm the only person in my family who voted for someone other than That Asshole; on Sat my dad asked if I'd gotten a locality raise. I said yes, it was 2.3%, and he said "it'll be bigger next year." I said "I won't GET one next year." He said "Yes you will, the market will be good enough with a Republican in office that they'll have to." And I said "Dad, locality raises are always executive orders and the president said he wanted to end any and all 'automatic' raises for federal employees." And he said "we'll see, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

My big question now is: what has to happen for "moderate" Republicans to jump ship or is that just not possible/realistic? 

There's a 20-dollar bill on the ground. A moderate Republican, a frothing-at-the-mouth tea party conservative, Santa, and The Easter Bunny are all equidistant from it...

• Like 6

It depends on how good their memory is. In 2010, the House flipped from 255-178 Democrat to 242-193 Republican, and Democrats lost 6 senate seats. Going into 2018, the house will be 241-194 Republican and 52-48 Republican. Which is just to say, the House can flip very very quickly if people aren't happy, and Trump already is the fastest President in US History to have an approval rating below 50%. Right now they probably feel safe aligning with Trump and there are "Republican" issues that they want to get passed so they have to play along with some other things. So I don't think right now there will be a split, at least not until they get their stuff done (repelling Obamacare, etc.). 

But I would guess by the end of the year, the Republicans in close races (which I don't know which ones would be but I am sure they do) will start breaking away if Trump's approval rating is sub-40 and he continues to push unpopular measures. That's still a long way away though, I am all in favor of people calling their congress reps and making it clear they aren't happy, but I don't see anything major changing for awhile in regards to people not voting along party lines on the bigger issues. 

Unfortunately most experts I've seen feel that at best the Dems are only going to be able to retain their 48 seats in the Senate in 2018.  Of course, that's right now so we are still a ways away from that and literally anything could happen in these next two years to sway things.  I'm not sure what the house is looking like.  After what's happened this past year I don't know how seriously to take polling anyway.

It also depends on how passionate people still feel in 1.5 years, and if the people that voted for Trump that don't normally vote will come out and vote for Congress elections. And it Trump has done enough to keep his voters happy. What partially happened with Obama (course its more complex than this) is the droves of people excited for what he offered in 2008 didn't vote at that same level in 2010 and Democrats got trounced. But its too far away to make any predictions, I just don't see anyone in congress going outside the lines until it gets closer to that date.

17 hours ago, Ace said:

Richard Spencer. The Khalisah al-Jilani of 2017. 

The irony of drawing similarities between Spencer and a character in a video game that seems to represent everything the alt-right loathes is not lost on me

I wonder if Obama will regret his first two years of his Presidency.  I love the man. But he had a chance to really implement much of  the liberal agenda but he tried to be maybe too inclusive with folks who have let's face the facts dying ideologies in this country.  Obama tried to play ball with a team who took their ball and went home. Then, after the 2010 fiasco it was just gridlock the whole way through.  November 2016 was the last hurrah for the older white dude.   

So the people who supported Trump because "He was speaking figuratively, he didn't literally mean an actual wall" STILL haven't got that he meant all of it literally?

EDIT: Did them mis-spelling the Prime Minister's name get any play over there? Because y'know, there's two Theresa Mays. This is Theresa May, UK Prime Minster:

09_theresamay_r_w.jpg

This is Teresa (no H) May, UK glamour model:

9069_1264523653.jpg?RTUdGk5cXyJFBQgJVANt

Guess which spelling of Theresa was on the official White Houre press releases?

• Like 1