DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

18 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I haven't followed Japan in 15 years... do they even do three way or or fatal four way matches? 

Pretty much every Jr Tag Title match in NJPW over the past few years has been a 3 or 4 way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I'm completely ignorant about Joshi.  Was Asuka a big star in Japan or a draw?  I mean there is no way she was on the Nakamura level, but is she widely know??

Considering the level joshi at currently, not really. Still she was one of the bigger names around among joshi.

2 hours ago, Peck said:

If you mean physically hurt, I'm pretty sure she's still working House Shows so I'm not sure that makes sense.

2 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

lol.  They don't want to hurt her by having her lose every week or every other week on TV.  Then try to build her up 2 weeks before the show she wins the belt by having her lose some more.  

I legit thought the original post actually meant "get injured" because 1) the injury bug and 2) why would they care if someone is hurt in a booking sense?  It's not like their booking helps anyone for the most part.  I could absolutely see them "build" Sasha up by having her go 50/50 all the way to Summerslam.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I legit thought the original post actually meant "get injured" because 1) the injury bug and 2) why would they care if someone is hurt in a booking sense?  It's not like their booking helps anyone for the most part.  I could absolutely see them "build" Sasha up by having her go 50/50 all the way to Summerslam.

Even past that, it does seem like it goes further and would "hurt" Sasha even by being used regularly on television (to the point Charlotte, and to a lesser extent, Becky, have been "hurt.") 

There does seem to be a bit of "the reason Sasha is the most over of the three Horsewomen who got promoted is because she's the one who was used the least- and thus, the one who's been least sullied by the stench of 'main roster Divas' and is as such still the most 'NXT' of the three." 

So, Sasha is being protected by not being used...and by the same token, it seems likely when Sasha gets the win, it'll instantly become "WE WANT BAYLEY!", and when Bayley gets the win, it'll become "WE WANT ASUKA!", and so on and so forth.

It's amazing that WWE booking and overexposure have gotten so bad that the best way to book someone as a top contender is to keep them off TV.  That is some next level, outside the box shit there.  They actually realize their TV gets nobody over.  Holy fucking shit.

• Like 7

On 5/12/2016 at 0:38 PM, Greggulator said:

The difference in the revenue reporting is different under this structure, too.

Under the old system, the middleman takes the risk of collecting bills. Comcast or whoever paid the WWE for the amount of PPVs that were ordered. But then Comcast takes the risk in its normal billing procedure of having unpaid bills.

Without the middleman, the WWE assumes the risk of people paying them on time. That's not a guarantee at all. Companies account for that sort of stuff in their accounting (there's an estimate in the accounts receivable line in every quarterly and annual report) but there is more risk for the company now. There's more reward -- they have more control and cut out the middleman. But there's also more risk.

Anyone who thinks the old PPV model was better is just wrong. The revenue from the WWE Network in 2015 (its first year, more or less) made about twice as much as their PPV revenue in 2013. And they're still making some money off of traditional PPVs, too.

Another point I didn't bring up? That "disappointing" TV deal in 2014 that crashed the stock price? That's a $150 million deal spread out over a few years. That's really high. It didn't meet what a lot of analysts and investors (and maybe internally) thought they could get after seeing what NASCAR and other entities got for their rights fees. But the WWE's a different product and there was also a bit of a bubble that burst. But they still made a ton of money off of that. It wasn't what "the market" thought they would get. That's the difference.

You are right.  I remember when I worked at a cable company and had these numbers at my fingertips.  It was a long time ago but something like 75% was paid the first month.  Another 15% in the next two months and 10% went unpaid.  

The one good thing about the WWE's payment model is that it is credit card based which should mean less fraud and unpaid bills.  

That would allow you to better match revenues and expenses since talent gets paid for the show and PPV revenues do not arrive for 90 days.

The old PPV model is such a dinosaur in this day and age.

Streaming is definitely the future and the Network gives you a more reliable revenue stream from month to month whereas PPV numbers can widely fluctuate.  Combine the wide fluctuations with waiting 90 days for payment and you get a real mess.  

The WWE's theory of keeping someone off tv so they don't get hurt but having them work house shows where they will get hurt is always an interesting one.

Charlotte/Sasha in the I Quit feud would be the hottest (as in best) thing on the show right now. But why would they want women who could out draw "the guy" or something.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's amazing that WWE booking and overexposure have gotten so bad that the best way to book someone as a top contender is to keep them off TV.  That is some next level, outside the box shit there.  They actually realize their TV gets nobody over.  Holy fucking shit.

That approach worked really well for Brock for a couple years, I guess.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NickMD said:

Going back to the Wrestlemania triple threat match, I was in the mood to see Sasha's entrance recently.  The presentation with Snoop rapping and the Eddie tights was so, so right.  All stars were aligned and of all nights that should have been Sasha's night.  The fact she didn't win after all that is sad and maddening.  I'm sure come Summerslam I'll think "Cool, she won it.  But man, she should have won it at Wrestlemania."  Honestly, whoever came up with that should be punished.

As for Japan, one of those shows has to be a network special, Brock or no Brock.  Why wouldn't you want to display Nakamura and Asuka in the country they made their name?  To say they'd get a hero's welcome would be a huge understatement.  That'd be cool as hell to see.

That's one of the things I've always found maddening about wrestling. I totally get it from a money standpoint. Draw it out and make as much cash as you can from the angle but goddam, sometimes it would just be so much more satisfying if they just pulled the trigger at the right time. Remember when Jeff Hardy was red hot and he was going against Orton? People had been buying into Jeff for months and were ready for him to take the title. They did that awesome "Rooftops" video for Jeff. But instead they just had Orton beat him fairly cleanly to set-up the anti-climactic HHH/Orton match at WM.

Sometimes the money isn't in the continued chase. Just pulling the trigger and going is the way to go. Like Goldberg. Nobody wanted to see him chase anything. You just wanted to see him win and mow people down.

Santino should've won that Rumble. Don't care if they would've had him lose his shot the next night in a match where Del Rio put up all his vehicles and his WWE contract on the line, that's what they should've called an audible on and went with.

How does the talent get paid from the Network "PPV"s? The old way worked like the territory house shows, that is, when the company got their money everyone got a small fraction based on their position on the card/contract/political pull/etc. So how does it work now? This was one of CM Punk's very legit complaints, that no one explained this to the workers. Has Meltzer ever broken this down? 

- RAF

What about Santino almost winning the Elimination Chamber?? He could've been screwed put of the Mania shot down the line....but that was another one of those missed moments. And it probably gets forgotten next to the Rumble because Daniel Bryan won the EC. I actually got an opportunity to have a pretty long talk with Santino/Anthony and I told him that I really thought that the character had one run as a serious challenger if they booked him as a serious threat. Which given his skill level and the fact that he was such a beloved character, could've worked. Too bad his health issues took that possibility off the table.

6 hours ago, bazzil said:

Goldberg. Elimination Chamber Summerslam 2003

Absolutely should've pulled the trigger there. The crowd was molten for Goldberg that night. My other memory of that night was that they mic'ed the hell out of that ring. It sounded like Nash put Orton through the ring when he powerbombed him and everything Goldberg did sounded like he was murdering guys.

On 5/12/2016 at 5:16 PM, SolidGoldBomb said:

No, Wall Street big wigs aren't dumber than wrestling marks.  It's a thing they do with every company in the world, it's part of a manufactured propaganda campaign to drive up prices to their highest then sell for max profits.  You short squeeze the stock, then pump n dump.

pump-and-dump.png

In a Pump N Dump, the only thing that matters is hype.

Now I want to see Mojo Rawley doing a "Money Monster" gimmick.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

What I heard from Zellner on a podcast we were on was that they are totally into the Sasha winning at Summer Slam deal, and she's injury prone so that's why she's not on TV a lot.

https://wrestlinghype.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/a0f6c-wadebarrettaddressesthelossfutureofhisbeard.jpg

*Realizes what could've been*

• Like 2