DVDVR Message Board

The NHL Begins Again on 10/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

Whoa, Chicago had to sweeten a Bickell trade by including Teravainen and only got future 2nd and 3rd rounders in return. Great trade by Francis and Co. 

Edited by Oyaji
Stupid android chrome autocorrect
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Expansion to Vegas now looks like...

*sunglasses*

... a sure bet.

They were kicking around names for the theoretical expansion team on Mike and Mike this morning.  Are they any good names out there that don't have gambling associations or some other unfortunate connotation?  I can't see them naming a pro team in Vegas the Gamblers or Aces or anything like that.  Someone through out "Strip" which might work, but your cheerleaders/mascot/fan section/etc. inevitably ends up called "The Strippers".  UFO associations are silly (and numbers - like 51 - just sound bad).

Lord, I can only imagine what a contest to name the new team will be like. 

16 hours ago, Oyaji said:

So, how many years are we giving this hockey in Las Vegas thing? 5 years? 10 years? All of the years?

Does this mean Quebec's bid was rejected? 

Former PM Brian Mulroney has been saying the weakened Canadian dollar has dampened their enthusiasm but to me thats just code for a team in peril in the Eastern Conference will be offered up to them for far less money than $500 million.  It just seems too coincidental that Pierre-Karl Peledeau gave up the leadership of the Quebec seperatist party just recently

Not sure if this belongs in the sports media thread, but I'm seeing reports that CBC is pulling a Jay Leno with Ron MacLean - i.e. he'll be back as the host of Hockey Night In Canada next season, replacing Strombo.

6/20/16 | 8:39AM: Derek Stepan's name is the "most intriguing" name being talked about by the Rangers and James Mirtle suggests a possible fit with Arizona. He wrote that a move like that would then free up some space for the Rangers to take a run at Steven Stamkos. (Globe and Mail)

Hurricanes plz