DVDVR Message Board

RAW is OUTSTANDING

Niners Fan in CT

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe Wrestlemania was WWE hitting rock bottom. Hopefully, it keeps getting better from here. 

It's kind of hard to believe the same group that came up with the dog's breakfast that was Wrestlemania put together this magnificent piece of work.  This happens a few times a year - Raw will feature great matches with storylines advancing in interesting ways and no overly tedious promos, then be back to the same old schtick in a few weeks.  I'm hopeful they decided to do a full reboot and get everything going fresh this week, but that remains to be seen.

One thing latter day WCW actually did well was to make every title mean something by booking individual storylines surrounding them where the wrestlers vying for the belts made them seem important.  It looks like they're doing that with the IC title and hopefully will do the same with the US belt.  Just give a couple of guys a feud where winning that particular belt is the most important thing they're focused on, instead of it being a side item to a feud or a stepping stone to the world belt.

When Ambrose told Jericho he had a note from Shane I was expecting something like this -

b17c61c292a50a6ee4586abce5c94887.jpg

Someone should shop Jericho and Dean's heads in there.

• Like 1

Dean's character is growing on me too ... he dusts Jericho in a fit of rage, then remembers, "Oh yeah, I was doing a show" so he grabs his tie and does a cliche talk show send-off.  You can almost hear him think to himself, "Nailed it."

• Like 3

Weird seeing Bray Wyatt play Ricky Morton. Weirder seeing a Bray Wyatt hot tag.

Solid show. Not sure anything really missed? Owens apologizing to JBL mid-match for disrupting his hat had me laughing out loud.

Nice to see Bray her the win in the main event this week.

Really strong show.  How the hell can they write a segment so well it gets Dr. Phil over by the end of it (when it started with him getting booed) but they can't get any actual wrestlers over nearly as well?

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

So great that they are letting Cesaro keep his arrogant stylin' persona even though he's against a snobby heel instead of suddenly making him a 'regular guy" who just wants to have fun.

The best part is if that suit shrinks in the wash they can just give it to Aries. 

• Like 2

The mass influx of NXT guys has made Raw automatically a billion times better than pre-Mania.

I also like how they've finally realized what they have in Bray and are using him to hedge their bets with Roman. If only they hadn't wasted 2 1/2 years with him considering he has all the talent in the world and, unlike a lot of these guys, actually can talk and has a character that's over.

13 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Also how much basic simple sense is it to have a face like Dean exist just to show up and torture heels?  It's so simple. 

Only quibble I had with that segment: after laying Jericho out Dean should've taken the scarf. That would've been the icing on the cake.

• Like 4

I had some theories why there was a hole in the middle of the piece of paper Dean handed to Jericho:

1) It was his homemade Halloween mask from when Roman said he was dressing up as "Rock" so Dean thought he was supposed to be "paper."

2) He heard about the "Panama papers" and decided those bastards need to pay.

3) Just listen to this poem by Dean's favorite poet and you'll get the idea:

But then I realized Shane must have handed him that memo within the last, like, half hour or so.  So it probably comes down to just being hungry but not wanting all the carbs you get from card stock or pencil erasers.  It's not his cheat day, you know.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Also how much basic simple sense is it to have a face like Dean exist just to show up and torture heels?  It's so simple. 

There always has to be one babyface who carries the mantle of Bugs Bunny. It's the law. 

The show was actually great. Maybe it was renewed fire. Maybe it was dropping the ball with Wrestlemania. Maybe it's an actual internal power struggle. Who knows. From strart to just about finish it was great. The only thing in my view that's still a dud is Reigns. If they had turned him full heel at Wrestlemania, they probably would have had something huge with him as this 21st century entitled corporate champion, This whole "I'm the guy" thing is just gonna get so annoying the more and more they push it. Can't wait till it shows up on shirts and stuff.

Anyway we got Owens/Cesaro, Styles/Zayn, Charlotte/Nattie (that might lead to a Ric Flair in a shark cage match), Doc & Karl bustin heads. It was good stuff.

It's just a shame that the match for Shane to get this control meant nothing.

I can't believe how fast WWE went from making Miz look like a total loser to such a badass heel.  I literally WANT to see Miz vs. Cesaro.  I never thought I'd type that sentence.

And what a novel concept.  An authority figure who books matches...to see who the better wrestler is.  And that's IT!  GENIUS!

4 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I can't believe how fast WWE went from making Miz look like a total loser to such a badass heel.  I literally WANT to see Miz vs. Cesaro.  I never thought I'd type that sentence.

And what a novel concept.  An authority figure who books matches...to see who the better wrestler is.  And that's IT!  GENIUS!

But how will we know who's better if the match is a damned handicap match?!

• Like 1

Miz and Cesaro had a great house show match that I watched before March Madness. Excited to see what they can do in a PPV setting.

Charlotte and Nattie have unique matches compared to the other combinations. Natalya's basically been jobbed out for like 10 years but they treat the division seriously, change the name, and all of a sudden people take her seriously. I'm hoping the PPV match is a Submission Match. That would make the most sense, right?

AJ and Roman are going to have a MOTYC. I think the next step should be putting AJ over a couple bigger guys like Rusev and Sheamus.

Probably the best RAW in a LONG time. I don't think Shane is a great performer but this is much more like classic WWF booking where the company/authority is a fair minded individual who rewards people who win. The heat for cheating or screwing someone goes on the heel instead of HHH and Stephanie. It can still work in this day and age.

Of course the real problem with all of this is that this is going to lead to Shane vs HHH and we're all going to be sorry.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Charlotte/Natalya. Good stuff, crowd was into it with a hot finish. Also thought Dr. Phil delivered a great promo in the back to Charlotte.

Don't really care much about any of the tag tournament matches, but appreciate the concept and build to naming contenders.

Cesaro/Owens was good as usual, Miz & Maryse remain an entertaining duo. Was shocked by how much I enjoyed Bray Wyatt off the hot tag. I've never been big on Wyatt but felt like he could be a real fun babyface with explosive offense based on tonight's showing. Payback is shaping up to be a pretty solid card with a lot of different potential matches to put on there.

• Like 1