DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

In late 95/early 96, when Hogan was taking time off before the nWo thing, Savage and Flair's feud turned around WCW's house show business and they were actually drawing money on the road.

So that's at least one point in his favor of being a draw.

But he wasn't the Top Draw. Even when he was "Top Draw" that one year with the Title. He was really just playing the part in 88-89 until Hogan, and Liz turned on him.

I seem to recall when Hogan was off making No Holds Barred that the Savage-DiBiase house show matches were a surprisingly big draw throughout the spring and summer of 88.  Savage definitely held his own when there was no Hogan.

He's totally a draw, he's the Macho Man. What I'm saying is that at no point did the WWF or WCW really commit to getting behind him as THE guy. Which is a fucking shame.

Yeah, maybe I should have put "The Man", instead of "Top Draw".

Yeah it's a damn shame that once the Hogan feud had ended his career was kind of in limbo for awhile with The Macho King gimmick, and the crappy new rodeo clown gear. 

On what planet are people " mildly enthused" with Orton? Because on this one, he was pretty damned popular.

Yeah, Orton was getting huge face pops right up to the heel turn on Bryan. And "crowds hate Cena"? Really? Come now. Crowds fucking love Cena. Even the Cena Sucks nerds love him.True hatred is silence and going off to buy t shirts or take a piss.
  • Like 7

Triple H was the lead heel mid-99 until Austin's 2001 turn, when the company drew more money than God.

Triple H didn't get established until his feud with Foley, which was 2000.  Until that point, he was very much in a make-or-break situation.  So, "mid-99" seems extremely generous.  Plus, with a live entertainment product, you usually make your money immediately following the thing that makes your product hot, so arriving at the scene when business peaked means Triple H was only ever riding the WWF downhill.

On what planet are people " mildly enthused" with Orton? Because on this one, he was pretty damned popular.

Yeah, Orton was getting huge face pops right up to the heel turn on Bryan. And "crowds hate Cena"? Really? Come now. Crowds fucking love Cena. Even the Cena Sucks nerds love him.True hatred is silence and going off to buy t shirts or take a piss.

Who takes a piss break during the main event?

"American Made" wasn't that bad (as far as WCW ripoff theme music goes), but when Dave Sullivan started coming out to "I Wanna Be a Hulkamaniac," that was pretty obnoxious.

What bothered me is that WCW debuted that song on the same night of the Hogan-Flair steel cage retirement match at Halloween Havoc 94, so you knew Flair was going down.

As I said in the Smackdown spoilers, I really want Cesaro/Swagger to start coming out to "Real American" just for the cheap pop/nuclear heat it would generate the first time around.

I'd rather have them tease a new third member, who comes out to that song, and is actually hulk hogan, who limps out and stands there immobile while they run up to him and eat big punches for 60 seconds.

As I said in the Smackdown spoilers, I really want Cesaro/Swagger to start coming out to "Real American" just for the cheap pop/nuclear heat it would generate the first time around.

For nuclear cheap heat, there'd be a face getting beatdown, Real American would hit, play for a few seconds, then Cesaro/Swagger would come out to help the heel continue the beatdown.

• Like 1

What about "DiBiass?" Watts liked that one.

That was the St. Louis pronunciation as well.  The story I always heard here is that Sam Muchnick and/or Larry Matysik asked Ted how to correctly pronounce his name, and Ted said the correct way is actually Dee-bee-oss.

That had to be the most disingenous tribute by Vince ever.

I'm guessing Tony Garea & Pat Patterson pressured him to do it.

But anyways, the man responsible for giving "Boston Bad Boy" Tony Rumble, one of the most delusional and self important goofs to hit the indy scene, his first big break, thus dooming poor Boston wrestling fans to almost decade of Rumble's awful "Piper's Pit" style interviews, the man who sired the awful Jumpin Joe Savoldi, has passed.

• Like 1

Posted Image

Apropos of nothing, but the way everything looks in the back, I'm getting a real Backstage at the Muppet Theatre vibe here.  It's like the Muppets moved to better digs, took the nicer furnishings with them, and left the old place to rot for years.  Then Kermit was able to con, say, Dr. Teeth's even sleazier wrestling promoter brother into renting the place.

• Like 1

Triple H was the lead heel mid-99 until Austin's 2001 turn, when the company drew more money than God.

Triple H didn't get established until his feud with Foley, which was 2000. Until that point, he was very much in a make-or-break situation. So, "mid-99" seems extremely generous. Plus, with a live entertainment product, you usually make your money immediately following the thing that makes your product hot, so arriving at the scene when business peaked means Triple H was only ever riding the WWF downhill.
He main evented from Summerslam '99 on. And they made a record profit in 99, and actually drew more money in 2000 (although some write-offs dropped the profit.)