DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Are there enough indy feds that are struggling-by-indy-standards to even make a single season of that?  The whole point of those restaurant/hotel/whatever shows is that they are incredibly competitive industries.  You pretty much corner a market when you open an indy fed, though.

There are at least 275 indy feds in my city alone. Also, a slightly established indy fed could be trying to broaden its market, for example.  

Are there enough indy feds that are struggling-by-indy-standards to even make a single season of that?  The whole point of those restaurant/hotel/whatever shows is that they are incredibly competitive industries.  You pretty much corner a market when you open an indy fed, though.

There are at least 275 indy feds in my city alone. Also, a slightly established indy fed could be trying to broaden its market, for example.  

You can always try to broaden your market, but I don't think the wrestling consumer is the same as a food consumer.  When you want to buy food, you look at the options available.  When you want to buy wrestling, your option is whether to see the show that is running or not.  That's a quantifiable difference and, I think, would prohibit the sort of fix-'em-up reality show being talked about.

Also, what city do you live in that there are 275 feds?  How did you come to that number?

So, if we start off with Cena=Hogan and Daniel Bryan=Macho Man, what's the most insane analogy that posters in this thread will come up with?

I'll go with the Santino::Honky Tonk Man thing they were trying a few years back.

Wait, I've got an even better reality show involving pro wrestlers. Here's the pitch.

Some businesses are just too far gone to be saved. That's when you need to squeeze every last penny you can out of it, not caring who you hurt in the process: friends, colleagues, investors, family members or insurance adjusters. Only one man has the skill and expertise to teach people to come out on top even when you're going belly up. That man is....

Ian Rotten.

• Like 1

You can always try to broaden your market, but I don't think the wrestling consumer is the same as a food consumer.  When you want to buy food, you look at the options available.  When you want to buy wrestling, your option is whether to see the show that is running or not.  That's a quantifiable difference and, I think, would prohibit the sort of fix-'em-up reality show being talked about.

Also, what city do you live in that there are 275 feds?  How did you come to that number?

That was a slight exaggeration for comedic effect. There's just 117.

Idea for TV show: we've all seen those shows where an expert in his or her field enters into a failing business/troubled domestic situation and revamps, re-energises and generally embiggens the spirits of those involved (think Kitchen Nightmares or Tabitha's Salon thingy). Well, why not have a show like that for indie wrestling? You take someone with success in the industry and send them off to struggling indies to try to turn things around. They can sit down with the promoter and talk business, when to book name talent, attracting a fanbase etc, and then talk to the workers about how and when it is appropriate to shake someone's hand, why going to a show promoted by someone else makes you a mark, and so on. The first show is a two parter in which our expert visits TNA, also the last shows filmed after he ends up like the nanny who tried to tame Eric Cartman.

Who is actually considered a good booker now? 

Maybe not a booker per se but the first name that popped in my head was Les Thatcher.

Then again, now that Jim Ross is available ...

Those pictures really show how much better the older belts are compared to the current ones, especially the WWE and Tag Team belts. I think the European belt looks better than the US title and they really should have had Cesaro change them when he won the US belt.

As silly and redundant as the name "winged eagle" is, I think it's also still the best WWF belt ever.

Please help me, with the "winged eagle" belt/ "headless chicken" booking joke that I'm CONVINCED belongs here, but that my doctor has advised to NOT attempt while weaning off medication.

Idea for TV show: we've all seen those shows where an expert in his or her field enters into a failing business/troubled domestic situation and revamps, re-energises and generally embiggens the spirits of those involved (think Kitchen Nightmares or Tabitha's Salon thingy). Well, why not have a show like that for indie wrestling? You take someone with success in the industry and send them off to struggling indies to try to turn things around. They can sit down with the promoter and talk business, when to book name talent, attracting a fanbase etc, and then talk to the workers about how and when it is appropriate to shake someone's hand, why going to a show promoted by someone else makes you a mark, and so on. The first show is a two parter in which our expert visits TNA, also the last shows filmed after he ends up like the nanny who tried to tame Eric Cartman.

Who is actually considered a good booker now? 

Maybe not a booker per se but the first name that popped in my head was Les Thatcher.

Then again, now that Jim Ross is available ...

Thatcher is a horrible booker. Ross would be interesting. I'd also throw Heyman in there as a guy who would be fun to watch on Indy Fed: Impossible.