DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Man I hope Atletico Madrid win the Madrid Champions League Derby this time, do it for Cholo!

And we avoid another All Spain Final, with Liverpool vs 2-Time Reigning & Defending Champions, Sevilla in the Europa League Final!  Wow that is gonna be a slobber knocker!  Can Sevilla make it 3 Europa League Titles in a row, or will JURGEN and the Reds win some Silverware?

I would be really happy for Klopp should they win the EL title. Sevilla just seems such a strong team in this competition. They seemed beatable in quite a lot of their matches, but winning those matches is a "champion's thing" to do.

Fewer than 5,000 actual Liverpool supporters will be allotted tickets for the final in Basel. And wafer wonders why most squads treat the tournament as a joke.

Bayern wins their fourth Bundesliga championship in a row. Their win made Dortmund´s 0-1 loss in Frankfurt meaningless regarding the top 2. However, it meant a lot in the relegation battle. Bremen haven´t had their best day...a goalless draw at Köln saw a Werder goal wrongly disallowed. Roughly 20 minutes later, a Hummel´s equalizer in the earlier mentioned game prevented a possible draw in Frankfurt. The last matchday will see Werder facing Frankfurt at home. Stuttgart has the hope of a Frankfurt win and their own away win at Wolfsburg who just today found their groove again just to send Bremen down for good at get their own shot a relegational playoff. One safe spot for two teams in a direct match up (Bremen, Frankfurt), three possible candidates for ONE play-off spot and one of three to directly go down (Stuttgart would have to hope for a big wins for themselves and Bremen to make up for a 6 goal deficit, though, should Frankfurt be the loser in that direct matchup).

Outside the already relegated Hannover, everyone else is safe. This is including Darmstadt, who continue to write their fairytale story. Unfortunately, there is a big chance of a not-so-good second year for them. Their top goal scorer is already hinting at a transfer and their will be less euphoria in the city. It´s going to be the tough second year after promotion, I´d assume.

Gladbach pretty much sealed fourth place, which is an amazing feat after five straight losses at the beginning of the season. Mainz, Hertha and Schalke are all tied on 49 points in places 5 to 7. A win on the last matchday would put Wolfsburg at a disappointing eight place. Köln and Ingolstadt in secure midfield spots for a majority of the season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Chelsea is the worst.

Yeah, but come on... what better way for John Terry to make his final appearance for the club, than by getting sent off for a second bookable offence in the course of losing away to Sunderland. His final act as Captain Leader Legend was to throw his armband to the floor, because there was nobody to hand it to.

• Like 1

So this was me from August 8th in one of the old threads....

3-0 Leicester at the moment. They're my team for the year

Somehow I doubt I would have capitalised on those 5000-1 odds because the full quote...

3-0 Leicester at the moment. They're my team for the year, hope they can avoid relegation again.

I sound like Ranieri in December.

I also rambled on about favourite football teams being arbitrary when you have no real connection with any of the teams/cities. Well, I think Leicester is going to be my team going forward as long as some semblance of this squad remains the same and after that we will see.  I'm not going to claim the League meant as much to me as it did for most of you - I only started watching 4-5 years ago so I lack all of that history. Amazing season though and this year more than the past few I have really developed a love for the sport. Having the opportunity to watch a match in-person helped too and it's such a better spectator sport than I had ever imagined. Pretty sad that the season is almost over as I expect the Euro 2016 matches to air here at ridiculous times so I probably won't be catching much football until next season.

Edit : FWIW, I know I will come across as a bandwagon jumper to serious football fans who will probably roll their eyes. It's that reason alone that I avoided playing up my support for Leicester with anybody in person because I totally understand that sentiment. However, I would have been happy with a top 10 result this year though I'm not sure I would have been invested to the same extent. This is how fans of clubs are made.

I wrote one of those long winding texts again, to summarize this in short: You shouldn´t worry too much about "serious football fans".

If you´re a footie enthusiast, the club will choose you more than you choose your club. I know this sentence doesn´t make sense, but neither does football quite a lot of the time. Nick Hornby´s Fever Pitch was pretty right about that.

If it wasn´t like that, the permanent championship winning teams would have ALL the fans in the football world and no one would go to second and lower division games anymore. Some level of success is ALWAYS necessary for a club to catch your attention aswell, unless you live in the greater area where the club is situated or have friends there or sth like that. A club playing among the top 100 or so in a sport like football/soccer in a country like England, Spain and Germany (which has roughly 60 000 teams competing at senior level) can be considered a "mainstream club" and pretty much everyone of us is a "bandwagon jumper" to some degree. "My" club is second division FC St. Pauli, but I´m a third generation fan and my father briefly played for what would today be considered their "U23"-side. I´m born in the same city as they are situated and have been to their games a few times, always enjoying those and the atmosphere. Still, I could / should probably be more of a fan of my youth club, but those guys play in sixth division or something like that. I check their results on occasion, but that´s it. St. Pauli is the club from my region with a personal bg and with enough success and name recognition for me to follow them as closely as possible.

I sympathize with Werder Bremen, who were the big northern club when I started to get invested in football, winning the league in 1993, the cups in 1991 and 1994 aswell as the 1992 European Cup-Winners-Cup. It was a mixture of them being somewhat situated in my region, my "first club" not always being in the German top flight, them being the big rival of our city rival HSV and the fact that they were successful that made me care for them. I also became a sympathizer of IFK Gothenburg, because they were the big dog in the city when I stayed there for half a year and I had the chance to visit two games (both horrible performances and 0-1 losses).

It´s really cool for you seeing as you had hoped for Leicester to stay up last summer and are now allowed to celebrate a championship that probably nobody ever expected up until two or three weeks ago. You will have a good time telling how much the club means to you when the inevitably worse season will follow next year where their first goal will probably be to stay in BPL and everything above will be another good season. The "ultra" will of course be stuck up about this. But for as much as I admire their passion and the support they give to their clubs, the way an "ultra" views football is so far detached from being healthy, I wouldn´t care too much about him/her rolling his eyes at you being a Leicester fan. Enjoy this moment and your season review!

Do you guys talk MLS here?

Because the newly renovated BMO Field in Toronto is fucking SWEET. I've got to give it to MLSE...it totally captures the charm of a smaller european stadium. 30,000+ today for the home opener.

RB Lepzig(sp?) gained promotion to the Bundesliga today so the RB people can now care even less about MLS (if that is even possible). Hopefully this causes them to sell to someone who will give a shit and not be a Bob Kraft style "don't spend shit" cheapskate owner (Oh I forgot this is MLS so its Operator-Investor).

Oh and tonight is boy city vs the scum in the "I wish both teams could lose" derby. Actually in that matchup I'm pulling for city because nothing on the planet is as vile as the scum. 

Guest Edwin
16 hours ago, Infinit said:

Do you guys talk MLS here?

Because the newly renovated BMO Field in Toronto is fucking SWEET. I've got to give it to MLSE...it totally captures the charm of a smaller european stadium. 30,000+ today for the home opener.

Yeah, I can't wait for OC to open up their new stadium... I also can't wait for them to get their stuff together and for Cyle Larin to actually start working on his speed and cardio.

31 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Atletico Madrid lost to last place Levante today, to kill off their La Liga championship hopes.

I still can't believe it. Fatigue played a huge faction in the loss.

Barcelona should've won the league today. Madrid beat Valencia 3-2 at the Bernabeú, but Benzema was offside twice in the entire play of the second Madrid goal, yet the goal was never disallowed. Pretty blatant preference from the ref there, but I won't cry foul for that. Had the ref called Benzema offside like he should've, Barça would've won the title today with a rightful 2-2 Madrid and Valencia draw.

12 minutes ago, piranesi said:

This doesn't interfere with Arsenal's quest for fourth does it?

You need City to beat Swansea and Arsenal to lose to dead-last Villa for that to happen...