DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Meant to post in this topic recently. Better late than never.

Leicester City, incredible sporting story. What a job by Claudio Ranieri and the team.

That Liverpool comeback.

Aston Villa. Fucking disgrace.

Bradford City and Phil Parkinson doing the business again. Great times after a long shitty spell.

Justice for the 96. YNWA.

• Like 2

_89466600_champtable.png

Burnley: 1st, 87 pts, +33 goal difference
Remaining fixtures: QPR (h) 2 May, Charlton (a) 7 May

Middlesbrough: 2nd, 87 pts, +32 goal difference
Remaining fixtures: Birmingham (a) 29 April, Brighton (h) 7 May

Brighton: 3rd, 87 pts, +30 goal difference
Remaining fixtures: Derby (h) 2 May, Middlesbrough (a) 7 May

This is why I freaking love the Championship. Gank the Premiership six-pointer between Boro/Brighton on the final day.

• Like 1

You wonder why the European Leagues are so keen to follow the Scottish model... except with Spain you at least had the two big name teams, and then Athleti overperforming to add an extra dimension. Whereas the Bundesliga seems to have decided they want to be like Scotland, only if Rangers had to sell all their best players to Celtic every summer.

• Like 1

Love that analogy. I talked with a few friends yesterday and we discussed what has changed. Truth is that when I started watching football with the 1990 World Cup and following Bundesliga season, the top 12 Bundesliga clubs had rosters that had 2-3 top players and a few good hands to support those. Bayern already was outstanding for having a few top guys more than the rest. 

Over the last few years however, Bayern have two squads that are good enough to win the Bundesliga (minus Neuer maybe). Dortmund has one and a half. The rest of the top 7 has a few top players and lots of good hands to support them. The lower table half has good hands and workhorses. There is a big gap between Bayern and Dortmund, a gap between those two and the rest and a huge rift between 3rd to 7th and the rest of the Bundesliga. The only way for the Bundesliga to improve would be a Bayern implosion (which would hurt German football quite a lot in international competition) or a cutback on games in European club competition prompting less need for a great number of quality players. Which is not going to happen.

Middlesborough to go up, Sunderland and Newcastle to go down? Nice.

Leicester need two points from three games, assuming Spurs gets maximum points. The question is, will they play for a draw away to Man U on Sunday, so they can clinch at home against Everton a week later, or do they go all out to beat Man U and arrive at their last home game already as champs?

Guest Edwin
On April 29, 2016 at 10:52 PM, AxB said:

except with Spain you at least had the two big name teams, and then Athleti overperforming to add an extra dimension.

Things are changing next season. The money is going to start being distributed differently and will be divided up more evenly.

On April 29, 2016 at 7:17 PM, AxB said:

Middlesborough to go up, Sunderland and Newcastle to go down? Nice.

Leicester need two points from three games, assuming Spurs gets maximum points. The question is, will they play for a draw away to Man U on Sunday, so they can clinch at home against Everton a week later, or do they go all out to beat Man U and arrive at their last home game already as champs?

I don't watch the EPL regularly aside from every now and then and even I'll be watching tomorrows game to see if Leicester City pull it off. I hope they do.

Man I hope Leicester wins here and takes the League. I much prefer football's approach to titles with the national knockout tournaments being distant second and third priorities. However, it is always nice to see a team get that big win to seal it as opposed to the number two team losing and handing the title over. If Leicester doesn't win or draws this match I hope Spurs get the win tomorrow.

Good start so far. I thought Leicester was going to have a hard time coming back from that first goal but it didn't take long at all.

Edit:

Yup, 7 point gap so it will be over if Spurs lose.  Or if Spurs draw and Leicester wins it's over

Or if Leicester draws and Spurs draw too if my math hasn't regressed too far...

• Like 1

Both teams put up a fun fight imo. Point is a good result for Leicester, truly keeping huge pressure on the Spurs who have to go for a perfect record now to win it. With the away game at Chelsea this is going to be hard enough I assume. This is truly amazing.

Bundesliga is still not officially finished, Bayern drawing Gladbach at home 1-1 and Dortmund battering Wolfsburg 5-1 at home. Bayern still need a point to pratically seal it (being 20 ahead on GD which is the first tiebreaker in Germany) and a win to get it done on paper. First time in quite a while the championship isn´t already done before the last two matchdays. 4 way battle going on for 4th place, Gladbach (49 pts), Hertha (49), Schalke (48) and Mainz (46) still having a shot.

The first Monday game in 16 or so years between Bremen and Stuttgart could spice up the relegational battle even more. Werder is under severe pressure after Frankfurt scored a win. Stuttgart has had a horrible spell over the last few games. Hoffenheim seems to be out of the worst, aswell as Hamburg and Augsburg, but all of them can still hit relegational playoff rank or even worse, should Bremen win tomorrow.

• Like 1