DVDVR Message Board

FOOTY - Spring 2016

Dolfan in NYC

Sorry for the double post. Apparently, there is an FA-investigation going re: Leicester's Championship season 2014 and their attempt at tricking their way around Financial Fair Play. Just how big of a deal is this in the UK? And are their possible consequences which could be a factor in the BPL title race? German article only mentioned the investigation.

Ah, thanks for the information. Never knew that. So investigation is probably held by the football league, right? Is the FA governing body for both organizations?

EDIT: Relegational battle in the Bundesliga got real. Hannover won after a trillion years, but are still sitting in last on 21 points. Frankfurt lost at Leverkusen, they occupy 17th with 27 points, the other direct-relegation-rank.
Bremen (16th, 31 points) beat Wolfsburg at home in a lively game. Meanwhile Stuttgart (15th, 33 pts) lost at Augsburg (14th, 33) who now had back to back wins against Bremen and Stuttgart. Hoffenheim (13th, 34) beat Hertha at home and drew level on points with Köln (12th) and Hamburg (11th). Those two however will play tomorrow, albeit in away games against upper-table-clubs Mainz and Dortmund. Darmstadt managed a 2-0 win at home against Ingolstadt and are now 10th on 35 points. Which is only four points ahead of a potential relegation.
Great drama in the nether regions of the Bundesliga table as always.

2 hours ago, zev said:

@ReiseReise Bayern vs. Schalke is on FOX right now. How surprising would you consider a scoreless first half to be?

I was a little surprised, it was the best Schalke could hope for I'd say. They seemed to crack under pressure in the 2nd half quite quickly though.

EDIT because elaboration of thought:
Bayern is an interesting beast this season, actually. Tbh, the biggest reason why this year had a sort of faux-tense title race in Germany was the outstanding bouncing back Dortmund did after their not-so-great final season with Juergen Klopp. Yet, Bayern looked more vulnerable against smaller teams who seemed to believe in their shot at taking down the mighty kings of the Bundesliga. Their possession game didn´t lead to as many chances as the years before and more often then not the little teams didn´t allow much in terms of chances while hitting Bayern quickly on the counter. I have the suspicion that a lot of those problems is the result of Boateng´s severe injury, That big and fast mothertrucker is one of the few players Bayern can´t really replace ( I tend to say Neuer and Lewandowski are the other "irreplaceables") and he is holding their defense together.

Still not trying to imply this title race was really close. It would have been, had Dortmund beat them at home and therefore cut the lead to two points, but woulda, coulda, shoulda...
In the end, Bayern were once again without a real match this season. I really don´t know if this can be attributed to Guardiola, but they already dominated in the "Triple" season with Heynckes, when they won Bundesliga, Cup and Champions League. In fact, they had their record point tally that season with 92, but now I´m nitpicking. Bayern have been one of the top dogs in Germany since the 70ies, but only since the 2000s they have taken over with this ridiculous dominance. The nineties saw lots of different champions & teams battling for the title, Bayern always in the mix but NOT ALWAYS winning. Compared to those years, even if it stays at "only" eight points ahead for them at the end, it is still quite the big gap. Since Bayern´s 2010 championship (which they only won on the second to last matchday), we also had dominant league winners all out. Dortmund in 2011 and 2012 and Bayern from then on never seemed in jeopardy of losing out on the title. I feel like I´m just rambling on, so to cut it short: I would love to go back and have the variety and crazy finales of the 90ies and to a degree early 2000s. Those days were fun... 

• Like 2

In Scotland stuff - Hibs beat Dundee Utd on penalties to reach the cup final, game was terrible but a tubby hero was born as the Hibs goalie -who hadn't played for something like 2 years- turned in a man of the match performance. The Old Firm semi final starts in about 15 minutes, should be more interesting at least.

My beloved East Fife won the fourth tier after a draw with Clyde, I'm dreaming big and giving us 3 years 'til relegation.

My German-speaking live-feed mentioned the Vardy dive was no dive and there were lots of bad calls in the final ten minutes of the game including the Leicester penalty. Thoughts of the guys who saw it?

Dortmund pushes Hamburg into the relegation battle and racks up their 69th, 70th and 71st point of the season. The game was pretty open for the first 40 minutes from what I read, Hamburg even had the better chances. Dortmund scored twice in the last 5 minutes of the first half. Hamburg GK Adler got send off after 52 minutes. After that both teams appeared to play it very passive until the final few minutes of the game, where the BVB went back to pressuring Hamburg and piling on another goal.

Right now, Mainz are leading Köln 1-0. If it stays like that or the match ends with a draw, we will have 4 points between 10th and 16th. Also, this would be a big step for Mainz towards Championship qualifier rank 4.

On 4/16/2016 at 10:14 AM, ReiseReise said:

Ah, thanks for the information. Never knew that. So investigation is probably held by the football league, right? Is the FA governing body for both organizations?

Pretty much.. The "English football league" system ( the Championship and down to league two) and the English premier league are completely separate entities. So the football league can investigate and even propose sanctions but Leicester is not a club currently under their jurisdiction..

For example.. A couple of years ago when QPR were relegated.. They were facing possible demotion all the way to the conference because they hadn't paid the fine (40 million pounds) for their substantial breach of FPP. That meant the Football League would deny them a license to play in any of their leagues.

They managed to work things out though

I think Germany has something similar with DFL who take care of the 1. and 2. Bundesliga. They are part of DFB, but have a different set of rules for than for instance third division and the divisions below, who are also part of the DFB.

Köln pulls back 3 goals for a great 3-2 comeback win at Mainz. Very important w for them, putting the club six points ahead the danger zone. Bayern has a chance to win the championship in Berlin next weekend. They need a win and a Dortmund loss at Stuttgart. A draw for Dortmund with a Bayern win pretty much sealed it, as Bayern is not only seven points, but also 16 goals ahead.
Behind the first two, fight for CL and EL spots continues to be open. Depending on how the cup matches go, the top seven have a shot at Europe. Leverkusen sitting in third with 51 points, followed by Hertha in 4th on 49 occupy CL. Places 5 to 7 are all on 45 points.

I caught Arsenal vs Palace today. It was a fun game, Bolasie´s goal was a thunderous strike and I couldn´t understand how the announcers to turn this into a Czech mess-up. Arsenal should have scored two or three more, but if you don´t take your chances, you´ll drop points. I was wondering if you loose out on the Arsene Wenger Trophy when you finish better than fourth...

Edit: Soooo LaLiga heading for an unexpected crazy finish? Barca and Athletico tied on points, Real only one point behind as Barcelona looses to Valencia at home. Incredibly exiciting championship´s races in BBVA and BPL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dewar said:

Neville = terrible Irish Guy + Rusev

Gary or Phil? Assuming Americans have never heard of Tracey (who's the real star of the family).